Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

British East Africa Questions

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
428 Posts
Posted 05/24/2017   11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add danko to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My SG #68 has an inverted watermark, but my copy of the catalogue only lists reversed. Does anybody have an issue of the catalogue that list this stamp with inverted watermark, and what would be the price on that (the stamp I mean )?

Thank you.

Send note to Staff
Edited by danko - 05/24/2017 11:17 pm

Valued Member
United States
428 Posts
Posted 05/24/2017   11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danko to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

"Britisn" instead of "British" - given the number of overprint errors for this issue, a would assume that this one would not really have any premium? I think this would be more of a missprint that the wrong letter used?

Same deal kind of. "British Fast Africa" instead of East. Missing part of the base in "E".

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by danko - 05/24/2017 11:36 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2253 Posts
Posted 05/24/2017   11:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More like the top of the h is missing.
Edited by littleriverphil - 05/24/2017 11:44 pm
Valued Member
United States
428 Posts
Posted 05/24/2017   11:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danko to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

An interesting flaw. Notice the "serif" on the first N of ANNA. Don't know if this one is listed in any of the editions.

It is also has the watermark. Part of "PURE LINEN WOVE BANK", which makes it a margin position of 1890-1892 issue, right? Would love to see full watermark. It looks like that it should be slanted.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1089 Posts
Posted 06/05/2017   08:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Danko, your inverted watermark variety is SG68w, which comes in at GBP325 in the latest SG catalogue. A good stamp to have, and not a stamp I have in my collection!

Your "Britisn" variety is one with the top of the 'h' broken and missing. Minns lists this variety, but it isn't constant in the sheet, which is probably why SG don't list it. Assume a x5 premium for this stamp, and it's a nice variety which isn't often seen.

The "Fast" variety isn't a variety at all. If you look very closely the lower limb of the 'E' is still present (but very faint) and you can see the serif. It isn't listed by Minns.

The serif on the 'N' isn't listed by Minns either, as far as I can see which (given his knowledge of the subject) suggests that it's an odd printing flaw and not a plate variety. Something like a confetti flaw, if you like. It's still nice, and definitely worth keeping, especially to display next to a normal stamp.
Valued Member
United States
428 Posts
Posted 08/15/2019   3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danko to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is funny. I guess I missed Tim's post. Two years later I came back to the same stamps, and tried to find the answers again on the web. And the first thing I came across was my own post.

But now, big thanks to Tim, I found the answers.
Valued Member
Australia
493 Posts
Posted 08/17/2019   05:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Plateflaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another bonus may be that the catalogue value probably increased over the last two years as well!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05