Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bohemia And Moravia : On Steiner Pages.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 5,213Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36755 Posts
Posted 05/29/2017   03:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rod222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Some voids.
Second Hand Hawid Mounts, recut.

Steiner Page 1.

Steiner Page 2.

Send note to Staff
Edited by rod222 - 05/29/2017 08:23 am

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36755 Posts
Posted 05/29/2017   03:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steiner Page 3.

Steiner Page 4.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 05/29/2017 04:28 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36755 Posts
Posted 05/29/2017   03:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Personal Page.
Steiner Style Page 4B

Personal Page
Steiner Style Page 4C

Pillar Of The Community
3652 Posts
Posted 05/29/2017   07:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting pages and stamps. The engraved stamps were printed by a Stickney rotary press that was used on Czechoslovakia stamps.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36755 Posts
Posted 05/29/2017   08:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you jogil,
that makes sense, being in occupied territory at the time.

I come across the Stickney rotary press often, but as yet, never seen an image.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36755 Posts
Posted 05/29/2017   08:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Steiner Page 5.

Steiner Page 6

Pillar Of The Community
3652 Posts
Posted 05/29/2017   08:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod222: See the following current SCF discussion and check out the link relating to the Stickney press that is in one of the postings in it: https://www.stampcommunity.org/topi...54503#475195

Unless I am mistaken, Bohemia and Moravia is one of those areas where you can put together a complete collection without busting the bank.
Edited by jogil - 05/29/2017 08:46 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36755 Posts
Posted 05/29/2017   08:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks jogil
I think I have the entire (basic) collection mint (mint and mint lightly hinged ) and used
I paid $50 about 5 years ago or so, if memory serves.

I was just reading your post here...............

http://goscf.com/t/36707#36707

Edited by rod222 - 05/29/2017 08:58 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2645 Posts
Posted 05/29/2017   10:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Unless I am mistaken, Bohemia and Moravia is one of those areas where you can put together a complete collection without busting the bank.

This is very true. Michel's current CV for the entirety of B&M is barely north of €200 for MNH. And that's including the major color variations which are only listed in Michel.

And Rod, I find the inclusion of the one issue you're missing on Page 1 to be a poor design decision on Steiner's part. There are many plate flaws throughout B&M, yet he chose to include a single one -- and one that catalogues at €160 MNH, BTW.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2025 Posts
Posted 05/29/2017   11:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And Rod, I find the inclusion of the one issue you're missing on Page 1 to be a poor design decision on Steiner's part. There are many plate flaws throughout B&M, yet he chose to include a single one -- and one that catalogues at €160 MNH, BTW.

Indeed, I use Steiner pages for my German-area collection and that very space is the only empty one in my B&M album. He does that sort of thing fairly frequently, at least with the German area. For example, the only empty space in my Steiner pages for the post-WWII French occupation zones is Scott# 6N34a, an imperforate variety. CV isn't all that bad, but it hasn't been all that easy to find, either (although I've hardly overturned every stone in the search). There are plenty other examples of him seemingly inserting one or two random minor varieties that are expensive and/or hard to find. Not sure if he does that to intentionally make the pages more challenging to complete or if he did it for his own purposes (e.g. he has that particular stamp in his own collection and wanted to make a space for it).
Pillar Of The Community
1447 Posts
Posted 05/29/2017   11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jkjblue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There are plenty other examples of him seemingly inserting one or two random minor varieties that are expensive and/or hard to find. Not sure if he does that to intentionally make the pages more challenging to complete or if he did it for his own purposes

How about a "marker" that brands his pages as uniquely his (copyright)?
Classical era collecting with the Blues
http://bigblue1840-1940.blogspot.com/
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2645 Posts
Posted 05/29/2017   12:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Of course, now that I pull it up in Scott, I see why he does it this way. Scott gives it a number, so he gives it a spot.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2645 Posts
Posted 05/29/2017   12:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For example, the only empty space in my Steiner pages for the post-WWII French occupation zones is Scott# 6N34a, an imperforate variety. CV isn't all that bad, but it hasn't been all that easy to find, either (although I've hardly overturned every stone in the search).

Here's one for sale on Delcampe. The price is pretty high as a percentage of CV (#8776;67% of Michel, #8776;92% of Scott), but that's likely because the attached margin commands a premium.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2025 Posts
Posted 05/29/2017   2:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another example: on Steiner's pages for the Nazi occupation of Poland (Generalgouvernement - another easily completable area) he has a space for Scott# NB41b, the 1944 Cracow Castle semi-postal marking the 5th anniversary of the General Governent, which is described as a 10z + 10z carmine and greenish black (major number Scott# NB41 is listed as red and black). CV in Scott for NB41b is $12.50 for MH and $25 for both MNH and used, so not a huge issue there. The problem is that, according to a long time dealer specializing in the German area, such a stamp doesn't exist, despite its being listed by Scott. So that space is unfillable with a genuine stamp, assuming the information I was given was correct. That's the only space left open on my Steiner pages for that area as well. If it were a huge issue I'd just use a PDF editor to remove the space and reprint the page, but it's more of a minor annoyance.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2645 Posts
Posted 05/29/2017   2:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
TheArtfulHinger,

That GG issue technically exists, though AFAIK, it's not catalogued separately by anyone except Scott.

See this, an excerpt from the Arge Generalgouvernement's Handbook of the Stamps, Plate Flaws, Sheet Features, Varieties and Printer's Waste, which would seem to indicate that for some reason, the shades are impossible to distinguish between individual stamps. Not sure why the colors would be distinguishable in sheet form but not in individual stamps, unless the color differences are tied to specific sector or plate numbers.

Michel just lumps them all into one. They used to have a notation that shades exist without a separate catalog number, but they don't even include that anymore.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2025 Posts
Posted 05/29/2017   4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info, Postmaster, that was an interesting read. I've always kind of been curious as to how some of these Nazi-era stamps made it into the hands of contemporary collectors, and this fills in a small piece of that puzzle.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 5,213Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05