Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Errors, Freaks And Oddities

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 241 / Views: 14,569Next Topic
Page: of 17
Pillar Of The Community
7430 Posts
Posted 11/13/2020   7:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great find Mike.
Now that you mentioned/shown here, I believe I may have one..I know I have seen it before..Now the hunt is on.

Robert

Here is an oddity that probably was done on purpose or missed when designing...This WAYZATA Newfoundland stamp.

Look at the differences in the bar counts in all corners.

Also looks like a bit of a slip print..

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by wert - 11/13/2020 7:36 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
667 Posts
Posted 11/15/2020   08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjung to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are pre-print paper creases of two familiar stamps. Look at the scan of the back to see the paper crease.

Pillar Of The Community
7430 Posts
Posted 11/15/2020   10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice pre-print folds jimjung...Nice.

Robert
Here is a odd process of a french word NOEL...Christmas is the first word...Most Canadian stamps printed as Christmas/Noel have the double period over the "E" of noel..Below are a few of the normal prints..The last one from Scott 519-530 showing NO double period over noel.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
684 Posts
Posted 11/15/2020   12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In early 1980s, I bought a PC in Montreal at a great price. It had been made locally as part of an order for schools. When they were delivered, they were rejected by the Quebec government because they didn't have accents on upper case (UC) letters. I understand that accents on UC letters is not normal or at least optional in France. Quebec, however, had its own thoughts on this. (These PCs were sold cheaply because the character sets were hard wired on the mother board and changing them was not easy)

So in for the 1970 stamp, CHRISTMAS/ NOEL was acceptable as English and the equivalent French. In fact, in France, NOËL could be viewed as English since, in the UK, the umlaut is (was?) often used to denote a second vowel which is pronounced separately from the first, e.g. preëmptive and coöperation. This however regarded as somewhat precious.
Edited by itma - 11/15/2020 12:34 pm
Pillar Of The Community
7430 Posts
Posted 11/15/2020   12:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
itma..I understand what you are saying.

Canada is a bilingual country..We should {at least I think} should have stamps produced by Canada Post to respect the French version associated with stamps.

The term Noël in the French version (Noel in English)

The word Noel comes from the French word 'noel' meaning the Christmas season

Just a thought...Robert

Also miss BeeSee who was a great part of Canada stamps.

Edited by wert - 11/15/2020 1:01 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
684 Posts
Posted 11/15/2020   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wert:

Quote:
We should {at least I think} should have stamps produced by Canada Post to respect the French version associated with stamps.

I would go further than that. Canada Post should respect the Canadian French version. But back in 1970, I am not sure that that NOEL violated that. I was only in the times of the Parti Quebecois and the following Liberal Party period - late 1970s and early 1980s - that accents on upper case letters, not required in France, became an issue.

Frank.
Pillar Of The Community
7430 Posts
Posted 11/16/2020   10:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Frank...I am thinking if you begin with a idea..continue the idea...Will are a bilingual country.

Robert

Here is another oddity with Canada Post not continuing a standard idea that should be standardized but isn't. This oddity is found on the Canada Post Scott 658 "Canadian Authors".

They do not have the notation " Postage/Postes" OR "Postes/Postage" like the stamp printed by Canada Post below.

Should it not be like the Scott 658 stamp below...Just saying.
Pillar Of The Community
7430 Posts
Posted 11/17/2020   7:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thought you might want to see a obvious ERROR.
Here is a Scott 168 stamp with a cancel ERROR.

This stamp was issued...November,5.1930
But look at the cancel date...July 12. 1920
Approximately 10 years before the issue date.

Robert

Pillar Of The Community
7430 Posts
Posted 11/19/2020   7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a couple more funny stamp oddities.
First one is a Scott 204 "Royal William" stamp.
Look at the flag...Looks like a cross between a British and American flag.

Now look at what the real flag was on the Royal William ship.

Now here is a Scott 367 hunter stamp..Look at him shooting right handed, BUT his right eye is closed..Should be his left eye closed when shooting right handed.

Robert
Valued Member
Canada
66 Posts
Posted 11/19/2020   8:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pollux to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wert, the ship you added as a reference look like the HMS Royal Williams a 120 gun first rate ship, circa 1700. Canadian Stamp # 204 picture the SS Royal Williams (SS is for steam boat) from 1833.

SS Royal William history.
The Royal William was the first Canadian ship to cross the Atlantic entirely under steam power. It was built by Messrs Black and Campbell and launched on 27 April 1831 by Lord and Lady Aylmer at Québec. The steam engines were made and installed in Montréal. It made several trips between Québec and the Atlantic colonies in 1831, but was quarantined because of the cholera epidemic in 1832 and the owners lost some £16 000 on the venture. It left Pictou on 18 August 1833 with 7 passengers and a load of coal and arrived at Gravesend after a 25-day passage. The Royal William was eventually sold to the Spanish navy.

This is the British East India Flag Company from 1801.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7162 Posts
Posted 11/19/2020   10:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is the British East India Flag Company from 1801.

That means the only thing wrong with Wert's flag is the amount of stripes ?

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
7430 Posts
Posted 11/19/2020   10:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Star Spangled Banner 1818...Had 8 stripes, Royal William vessel in 1833 which had 7 stripes...weird.

Robert

Valued Member
Canada
66 Posts
Posted 11/20/2020   01:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pollux to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
(That means the only thing wrong with Wert's flag is the amount of stripes ?)
No Peter, it is not about the amount of stripes. The flag on the SS Royal Williams (stamp 204) is not an oddity as per wert was tinking at first. The flag despite on that stamp is absolutely correct with the red stripes. The SS Royal Willams have stripes and the HMS Royal William have none because it is under his majesty service, not a freight steam vessel.
To make this more complicated, the red strip pattern was already common in South East Asia by the Majapahit empire. As per wikipedia, the flag of the East India Company is considered to have inspired the 1775 Grand Union Flag, however, the theory has been criticized as lacking written evidence.

Pollux
Edited by Pollux - 11/20/2020 01:56 am
Pillar Of The Community
7430 Posts
Posted 11/20/2020   11:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are 2 good examples of cancel errors.
First one is postcard with a Toronto cancel in 1888
look at the "88" cancel...The year cancel is upside down.

The RED arrow shows the year upside down..The BLUE arrow shows the correct cancel..Did it to show the right orientation.

Now here is a cover with the 1888 year cancel "88" with the right 8 upside down..

Now the RED arrow shows the error on the right 8..The BLUE arrows shows me changing the 8 to the right orientation.

Kinda neat..Eh..??
Robert

Edited by wert - 11/20/2020 11:39 am
Pillar Of The Community
7430 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   10:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a couple more oddities...

First is a Canada Scott 274 with the clouds in front and behind the telephone pole..Instead of all front or all rear.

Here is a Canada Scott 237 with a double dot top left corner outside frame line.

Page: of 17 Previous TopicReplies: 241 / Views: 14,569Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05