Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Errors, Freaks And Oddities

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 255 / Views: 16,188Next Topic
Page: of 18
Pillar Of The Community
7473 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   9:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are2 more oddities..

First is a Scott 362 which as far as I know is the only Canadian stamp that has the "cent" before the denomination.

Here is a Scott 586b booklet that has black in the Queen's hair. Nothing is printed in black on any of the stamps.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
7473 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   11:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are 2 more oddities...

FIRST...Scott 1906 {47 cent} stamps..Same stamp, different colour numerals.

SECOND...Scott 1933. Stamp with year 2001 on stamp, but issued Jan.3 2002

Pillar Of The Community
7473 Posts
Posted 11/28/2020   6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another couple of oddities...

Scott 1358...Colour missing.

Scott 104...Weird 2and3/4 on a cancel...Never seen this before.

Robert

Pillar Of The Community
3376 Posts
Posted 11/28/2020   7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert,
You had posted the 2-3/4 cancel before and ID'd it as a slogan machine cancel relating to minimum envelope size. Remember?
http://goscf.com/t/74278&whichpage=1&
Edited by John Becker - 11/28/2020 7:54 pm
Pillar Of The Community
7473 Posts
Posted 11/28/2020   7:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi John

Yes, you are right..Just wanted to bring it to collectors in one spot here so they could get info on oddities.

Robert

hey guys..Here was John's answer..Great information..Thanks again John.

Quote:
slogan machine cancel:

envelopes smaller
than 4" by 2 3/4"
unacceptable
for mailing
Edited by wert - 11/28/2020 7:58 pm
Pillar Of The Community
3376 Posts
Posted 11/28/2020   7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Then why not explain what it was when you reposted? You made it look like a mystery item again. Just saying ...
Pillar Of The Community
7473 Posts
Posted 11/28/2020   8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And another weird stamp on one of my covers...Hey...No engines..??

Robert

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31350 Posts
Posted 11/28/2020   9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opinion:
2 colours in gold? I'd suggest just detioration (Oxidation) , I have gold stamps where the ink has nearly turned black.

Copyright icon, I think I recall other stamps that have been prepared on the cusp of another year, and defy my searching the catalogue for the that year. (Perhaps the plate produce year and not issue date)

Edited by rod222 - 11/28/2020 9:25 pm
Pillar Of The Community
7473 Posts
Posted 11/28/2020   9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
2 colours in gold? I'd suggest just detioration (Oxidation) , I have gold stamps where the ink has nearly turned black.

You make a good point rod222...it could be caused by what you said.

Robert

Here are colour irregularities associated with this Scott 2184 stamp.

Pillar Of The Community
7473 Posts
Posted 11/29/2020   6:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a oddity on a Scott 203 "World's Grain Exhibition and Conference" stamp...I have never on any Canadian stamp seen the Letter "1" with this design....Different.

Robert

Pillar Of The Community
7473 Posts
Posted 11/29/2020   7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a little known fact about the Newfoundland Scott 62 "John Cabot" stamp....NOT JOHN CABOT

Robert

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31350 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   01:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also, "Hym that found the new Isle"

The Beothuk were there already, numbering 700 or more.

Pillar Of The Community
7473 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   09:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi rod

I thought Cabot Cabot sailed out of Bristol on the small ship Matthew in May 1497, with a crew of 18 men. The expedition made landfall in North America on June 24.

The Beothuk was a group of indigenous people who lived on the island of Newfoundland. Beginning around 1500

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7251 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert, re-read your history. The Beothuk were an indigenous people who moved to Newfoundland from Labrador around 1 AD.

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
7473 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   10:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i think I stand corrected Peter.
Just got info from John Cabot website..

Robert
Page: of 18 Previous TopicReplies: 255 / Views: 16,188Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 3.87 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05