Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Errors, Freaks And Oddities

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 255 / Views: 16,974Next Topic
Page: of 18
Valued Member
Canada
405 Posts
Posted 12/12/2020   3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add studystamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Re: Errors in Postage Stamp Design book

The book was printed back in 1979. I suspect it is long out of print.

Just checked eBay and found a copy for auction at this very moment (from the UK). (No, it is not mine; I'm in Canada)

Do a Google search; there are a couple of other places with the book for sale, including Amazon.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31746 Posts
Posted 12/12/2020   4:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Robert for that clip.
Dashed if I can find Parry's chapter on the "Banks"
Perhaps not what I was assuming, vessels from Bristol England could not have sailed up there in Schooners.

If I find it I'll post a scan.

Pillar Of The Community
7535 Posts
Posted 12/12/2020   5:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do a Google search; there are a couple of other places with the book for sale, including Amazon.

I will do that studystamps...Wish me luck.

Darn just looked for it..Must be sold before I got there..Oh well.

Quote:
If I find it I'll post a scan.

Do that rod222 when or if you find it.

Robert
Edited by wert - 12/12/2020 5:57 pm
Pillar Of The Community
7535 Posts
Posted 12/12/2020   7:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another ERROR or "error of design" on a Scott 438 "Sir Wilfred Grenfell" stamp.

Look at the ship wheel...It has one grip missing...I put a indication where the missing grip should be...Another error in design.
Robert

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7355 Posts
Posted 12/12/2020   8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe that was done on purpose? Either the handgrip or no writing?

Peter
Learn More...
9176 Posts
Posted 12/12/2020   8:26 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Robert,
I think there is aa difference between an 'error of design' and artistic license. In your example above, it easily could be that the artist intentionally left off the handgrip to avoid clutter with the country name. But without understanding the intention of the designer(s), we are left guessing.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
7535 Posts
Posted 12/12/2020   9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They should have done it this way...haha..just saying.

Valued Member
Canada
81 Posts
Posted 12/13/2020   12:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pollux to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wert, I do not believe that there is an error on this stamp, it is intended exactly like that. The artist must follow certain rules to harmonize his product. Here he uses the upper left diagonal to the lower right corner to bring the eye to visualize the whole design in one go. By moving the word Canada to the left as you did it breaks the artistic dynamic of the whole design. There is a loss in volume and the whole is out of balance. For me, part of the ship's wheel as well as the captain's hand is intentionally erased to lighten the image and give more impact to the word Canada. Also, remember that there is a perspective in this design, you have put the missing grip too high, look at the captain's forearm, the grip should be lower.

I have a degree in industrial design and a bit of graphics too. Graphic design is a conception to achieve visual communication that combines image and text. Here we have a conceptualization drawn, it is not a photo. The artist offered us his conceptualization and we have to accept it as such. Should we say that all of Picasso's paintings are errors because he does not respect our reality? This is only my personal point of view.
Valued Member
161 Posts
Posted 12/13/2020   03:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waelshami to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is this an error in the red color??
Pillar Of The Community
United States
695 Posts
Posted 12/13/2020   07:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add watermark to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is no design flaw on the ships wheel. The handles are straight across the shaft. His left hand which is out of view also would be holding the handle that has been reported missing.

Mike
Pillar Of The Community
7535 Posts
Posted 12/13/2020   08:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pollux...You make a good point...I take my statement back.

Mike...I see what you mean.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7355 Posts
Posted 12/13/2020   09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Waeldhami. that is not an error. It maybe a freak or an oddity though

Peter
Valued Member
161 Posts
Posted 12/13/2020   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waelshami to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanx Peter
Pillar Of The Community
7535 Posts
Posted 12/13/2020   11:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
waelshami...Peter is correct, not an error.
The Map stamps are notorious for obvious errors oddities.

Prime example below...My Scott 86 - 1898 Map stamp block {mint}..There are extra islands added and other islands missing...You could spend a life time examining all the small and large flaws associated with this particular stamp.

Just one example below....
Robert

Pillar Of The Community
512 Posts
Posted 12/13/2020   2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As an interesting aside, I believe this *may* have been the photo that inspired the Wilfred stamp:

https://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/n...to/515143296
Page: of 18 Previous TopicReplies: 255 / Views: 16,974Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.79 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05