Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Errors, Freaks And Oddities

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 255 / Views: 16,991Next Topic
Page: of 18
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1319 Posts
Posted 01/20/2021   4:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Having no personal knowledge of any printing process, I wonder how this donut happened.

I'm slighly colour-blind so am not certain of the colours on this stamp.

Were the inks creating the yellowish-orange colour applied before the reddish ink? If so, perhaps the yellowish-orange colour inks splashed onto the area where the red would then be applied. Then the application of the red ink caused the yellowish-orange to flow outwards causing the ring.

I don't see how a piece of paper could do this as the piece would have to be the shape of the yellowish-orange colour and fall into place prior to the red ink appliaction.

I'm hoping that wert and others can better explain how this happened.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
279 Posts
Posted 01/20/2021   4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Major1044 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the full stamp. The cause of this freak is unknown to me

Pillar Of The Community
7535 Posts
Posted 01/20/2021   6:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Paper temporarily on plate...Then fell off.

Robert
Valued Member
6 Posts
Posted 01/21/2021   02:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LeperFish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've heard tell that sometimes the ink settles in the containers, a blob gets gooed onto the plate and presto voila! That's French for and there you have it.
Pillar Of The Community
7535 Posts
Posted 01/29/2021   7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
LeperFish
I took printing classes for 4years in high school and when ink rubberizes, it can cause blobs, tails, etc.

Here is another odd thing on a King George V block...Look at the top right corner stamp on my block...I call it a "Mustache Hair".

Don't know if it is a one time oddity or possible constant variety..??
Hope some one can come up with another.

Robert

Pillar Of The Community
7535 Posts
Posted 02/01/2021   3:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kinda odd that all but one stamp has a "DASH" between the "W" and "B" of New Brunswick stamps...See below.

Robert

Edited by wert - 02/01/2021 3:58 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31757 Posts
Posted 02/01/2021   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Often, there were differing engravers, employed to do the vignette, and others to do the frame, and even the value tablet.
Differing engravers, differing design approaches.
I don't consider it that odd.

Valued Member
Germany
21 Posts
Posted 02/02/2021   12:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RWSD to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edit: Ooops... :)

Edited by RWSD - 02/02/2021 4:52 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2640 Posts
Posted 02/02/2021   4:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What caused the extra serif on the E of CENTS of wert's Mustache Hair King George stamp?

Pillar Of The Community
7535 Posts
Posted 02/02/2021   6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
littleriverphil..I did not notice the accent..After I looked at it I thought it might be poor inking, but that does not seem to be what happened.

Could have been a piece of paper stuck and then fell off.
I checked all the rest of my King George V stamps and they were ok..

Robert
Edited by wert - 02/02/2021 6:24 pm
SCF Advertiser
Learn More...
Canada
298 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   2:07 pm  Show Profile Check steve123's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add steve123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Re: 774a

Wert says:
Quote:
steve123...WOW
Let us know what the Vincent Graves Greene guys say about it...Good luck

Here's a copy of the certificate...

Moreland Revenue Stamps
Specializing in Canadian Revenues
Also Canada / USA EFO's
www.morelandrevenuestamps.com

Pillar Of The Community
7535 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   2:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
steve123...WOW...{Again}

That is so cool..Congrats buddy...Great find.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
7535 Posts
Posted 02/23/2021   7:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another freak/oddity.
Scott 427 "Floral Emblems" Newfoundland stamp.
Position 31 on the sheet has a small dot instead of a full line...It is the only dot on the sheet that I can see.

Robert

Pillar Of The Community
7535 Posts
Posted 02/28/2021   8:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a couple more
Scott 120a - Extended eye lash.

This Scott 442 - Looks like plant is on the eater and not on ground -Weird.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
7535 Posts
Posted 03/02/2021   3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Odd colour on a sheet of Scott 621 in position 17.
An odd colour in Queen's hair.

Robert

Page: of 18 Previous TopicReplies: 255 / Views: 16,991Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 12.76 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05