Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Errors, Freaks And Oddities

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 255 / Views: 16,189Next Topic
Page: of 18
Pillar Of The Community
7473 Posts
Posted 11/12/2020   11:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a slip print that most people never knew existed on an envelope.
It is a BK69 pre-stamped envelope.

Robert

Slip print compared to a normal BK69

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
719 Posts
Posted 11/12/2020   1:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My understanding is that the "Z" or "S" in Organization/Organisation was intentionally left out as that word serves double-duty for both the English and French full name of the ICAO that appears on the stamp. Clever bit of design really.
SCF Advertiser
Learn More...
Canada
296 Posts
Posted 11/12/2020   6:47 pm  Show Profile Check steve123's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add steve123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a spot that I just noticed on #708, Canada Lily...

Moreland Revenue Stamps
Specializing in Canadian Revenues
Also Canada / USA EFO's
www.morelandrevenuestamps.com

Pillar Of The Community
7473 Posts
Posted 11/12/2020   7:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi steve123

You got what is called a donut...Not a variety, but an oddity.
I collected donuts on just one stamp..Scott 981 and here is the donuts on JUST the black portion of the stamp...I have found out they can appear more than once in the exact same area.

But keep the stamp..

Robert

Pillar Of The Community
3376 Posts
Posted 11/12/2020   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not a variety, but an oddity.

Robert, I am fully confused by your use of "variety" and "oddity". Please provide your definitions of these, as I think they differ from how many other collectors would define them.
Pillar Of The Community
7473 Posts
Posted 11/12/2020   10:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Please provide your definitions of these,

Good question John...I would be interested on your take on the question to see if it lines up with my understanding of the differences..

Robert
Here is another oddity...A roller mark or possible doctor {ductor} blade flaw running down the left side of my Scott 12 Nova Scotia stamp.

Pillar Of The Community
3376 Posts
Posted 11/12/2020   11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will await you going first since you brought up the terms.
Pillar Of The Community
7473 Posts
Posted 11/13/2020   09:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"variety" and "oddity". Please provide your definitions

Remember this John..I AM NOT an expert like you..I make mistakes as other collectors do at times..I enjoy colecting.

Here is my idea on a VARIETY..My "Dog Scratch" Newfoundland stamp I found a few years ago as shown below....

Here is one of my ODDITIES the Scott 929 which was suppose to be printed in magenta colour, but this one is green,

Pillar Of The Community
7473 Posts
Posted 11/13/2020   10:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a couple more oddities associated with Nova Scotia stamps.

First one a Nova Scotia Scott 8 stamp.
We can see what people call blind perfs.

This one is a scratch on the top left corner of these Scott 8a Nova Scotia stamps...Could even turn into a variety..Who knows.

Pillar Of The Community
3376 Posts
Posted 11/13/2020   10:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not an expert - just a serious hobbyist. I am looking for your definition in words that I can apply across a wide group of items.
Pillar Of The Community
7473 Posts
Posted 11/13/2020   10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have given my answer above John

Stay safe my friend.
Robert
Here is a couple more.
Blotch on this C2 stamp

This C5 looks like a thread stuck to the plate..

Edited by wert - 11/13/2020 10:39 am
Pillar Of The Community
3376 Posts
Posted 11/13/2020   11:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I still don't see any clear definition in words.
What sticks out is your statement that something (a donut in this case) is NOT a variety - this makes no sense to me.

To explain my thinking a bit. While I don't have a formal definition developed, to me a "variety" is something outside of the normal expected production from the bulk of the other similar stamps. There are subsets of this in my mind ... constant varieties (often present at the plate creation stage), progressive varieties (scratches, cracks, wear, repairs, after the plate is put into use, etc.), and transient varieties (inking anomalies, paper folds, blind perfs, etc). By this thinking, there is no such thing as "not a variety".

Similarly I see a sliding scale along a continuum of error-freak-oddity, with little agreement of terms except the general observation that many collectors want to call everything they have an "error" no matter how slight, but that may a tangent for another day.

Edited by John Becker - 11/13/2020 11:27 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1315 Posts
Posted 11/13/2020   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To me, there are "constant varietie", which are catalogued as they appear on the same positioned stamp on most, if not all, panes printed.

I classify "varieties" and "oddities", as being the same thing regardless of what they are called.
Pillar Of The Community
7473 Posts
Posted 11/13/2020   11:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your reply John..BlackJag
Have a good day my friends John..BlackJag...Stay safe.

Robert
Here is another funny stamp..Scott CE1
Here is the stamp..

Looks like no windows on the right side of the pilots seat...

Here is the planes jet stream going behind the tower..

Edited by wert - 11/13/2020 11:34 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
693 Posts
Posted 11/13/2020   4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add watermark to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a nice air mail variety. This is CE 2. The variety occurs in the top right stamp on this plate block of 10. This is Plate 1 1285 C A. Canadian Banknote Co., Limited. Ottawa. The variety is a series of what looks like scratches just to the left of the house and going down to the top of the plane's right engine.

Image of upper right stamp and close up of flaw:

Mike
Page: of 18 Previous TopicReplies: 255 / Views: 16,189Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 2.62 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05