Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Great Britain : On Steiner Pages.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 424 / Views: 35,579Next Topic
Page: of 29
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30845 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nigel,
apparently Giraffes are "stand offish" in their natural state at the zoo,
however, at Taronga in Sydney during covid, they have been missing the human interactions.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30845 Posts
Posted 11/18/2020   4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Foreign Currencies 1851

Edited by rod222 - 11/18/2020 4:33 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30845 Posts
Posted 12/02/2020   12:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Library.
Forged Postage Stamps of The British Empire
H. Bynof-Smith.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
689 Posts
Posted 12/02/2020   09:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod:

The 2d forgery pictured on the cover came up in a recent thread
somewhere on SCF (can't find it now). It's good to see a copy on cover. For some reason, the latest Australian Speci
alist Catalogue no longer gives a price on-cover and there has been a downward trend in pricing. Perhaps nothing has come up for sale lately.

When was that manual published? If it's not too extensive, could you let me know what the manual says about this forgery?

Frank.

Found it. Not on SCF but the BSAP group on Facebook.
Edited by itma - 12/02/2020 09:12 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30845 Posts
Posted 12/02/2020   5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Found it. Not on SCF but the BSAP group on Facebook.

Frank,
may I have that link please?
(I have never been on facebook)

1990 Bynof-Smith
ISBN 064600229-5

Australia is noted for its low count of forgeries.
New South Wales on the other hand, what a bunch of "ne'er do wells"

http://goscf.com/t/51767&whichpage=104#670395 br /
Edited by rod222 - 12/02/2020 6:56 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
689 Posts
Posted 12/03/2020   09:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank, Rod. I have replied on the Australian channel as there may be a more general interest there.

http://goscf.com/t/51767&whichpage=105#670460

Frank.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3012 Posts
Posted 12/03/2020   10:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod and Frank,

Thanks for drawing our attention to this intriguing postal forgery.

Perhaps you can help me with a couple of questions:

What does the slogan/text part of the machine cancellation say on the example on the front cover?

I don't understand Mr Bynof-Smith's notes on pages 10 and 11 about the cancellation.

He refers on page 10 to an imitation of the cancellation and appears to show on page 11 both forged and genuine cancellations.

However, surely the postal fraud element here was sending mail through the post using forged stamps, and in so doing these stamps would receive genuine cancellations?

The RPSV certificate is quoted as stating that the machine cancellation on the cover is genuine.

I don't see the relevance of forged cancellations here.

Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
689 Posts
Posted 12/03/2020   2:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nigel:

I hope you'll excuse me if I bow out on this one. I'm rather caught between a query someone raised on the BSAP forum about the 2d forgery and Rod coincidentally posting the cover of Bynof-Smith book.

Also, it would be better to handle this on the Australian channel to give your query a more focused audience. Rod has already moved the Australian part of this discussion to http://goscf.com/t/51767&whichpage=104#670395 .

Frank.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30845 Posts
Posted 12/03/2020   2:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good morning Nigel,
The two images on Page 11, have no reference to the cover shown on the catalogue. They are just representative of a forged postmark evidenced on the King George Sideface.

I agree, a bit of a head scratcher, the forged Postmark tells us nothing.

The Cover with forged postage stamps, have a genuine machine cancel,
it looks to me, to be a similar slogan to Catalogue #7-1
(I only have the Western Australian Slogans)
Western Australia, slogan postmarks to 1983
Monograph
Brian Whittaker

Catalogue 7-1 (page 2)
is a
POST EARLY EACH DAY
with two lines above and below.

Used in Western Australia, Perth Fremantle and Geraldton 8th July 1924 to 10th December 1938 (each centre differing dates)

PS: The apparent damaged Machine cancel on the cover, suggests to me, that the cover contained bulk items of Lottery Tickets, thus giving the machine impression, a distorted appearance.
The lottery tickets going to a Newsagent,
(Maybe indicated also by the 4d Franking, I am not aware of the postage rates of 1932)

I'll post an image later, off to an online auction...........

Edited by rod222 - 12/03/2020 3:04 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30845 Posts
Posted 12/04/2020   2:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Nigel, the POST EARLY EACH DAY slogan.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30845 Posts
Posted 12/11/2020   02:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great Western Railway
Pre Paid Newspaper and Parcel Stamp 3d Green
Listed anywhere in a catalogue? Not Barefoot.
What is the animal Right side of 3d? Snake?

Edited by rod222 - 12/11/2020 02:59 am
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2404 Posts
Posted 12/11/2020   03:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

Can't help with the catalogue, but the animal is a snake. According to Wikipedia, the GWR coat-of-arms incorporated pieces of the coats-of-arms of London (left) and Bristol (right)
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30845 Posts
Posted 12/11/2020   03:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Guess I should have known Bristol
The arms look like the 1000's of vessels that left Bristol on discovery expeditions, North America especially.
Thanks Postmaster.

Valued Member
402 Posts
Posted 12/11/2020   04:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@rod222

https://www.stanleygibbons.com/shop...type=Railway

No SG-numbers, but plenty railway stamps for sale. The descriptions often mention a Ewen #.

Maybe this one: https://www.amazon.nl/History-Railw...p/1376963310
No doubt Amazon.com will carry this as well.
Edited by NSK - 12/11/2020 04:13 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
30845 Posts
Posted 12/11/2020   04:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postmaster:
Thank you very much, should have known Bristol Arms
Vignette suggests the early departing point for expeditions, esp to North America (Cabot etc)

NSK

Quote:
The descriptions often mention a Ewen #.

Aha! I remember reading that, thanks, I don't recall ever seeing a "Ewen" catalogue / Monograph.

This Revenue sits aside my GWR Air Stamp, Westland Wessex Aircraft.

That SG Link was great ! Thanks
Kept a scan of the Catalogue, shall seek elsewhere, (I refuse to buy anything from Amazon)
Edited by rod222 - 12/11/2020 04:21 am
Page: of 29 Previous TopicReplies: 424 / Views: 35,579Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05