Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Great Britain : On Steiner Pages.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 510 / Views: 40,013Next Topic
Page: of 34
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32191 Posts
Posted 04/24/2021   7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postmarks : Printed Matter
Newspaper Branch "Killers"
Bib: Postal History Society Special Series 1, 1957
Author : W.G. Stitt Dibden

Sc#130 1902 Type A68 02d King Edward 7
Stitt-Dibden Type 93
IS Code "K" = Inland Section K.

India Rubber obliterator.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 04/24/2021 7:26 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32191 Posts
Posted 04/24/2021   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stumped.
Unable to find any reference to this Postmark
India Rubber Packet obliterator, roller ? Hand hammer?
BELFAST Ireland

Sc#115 1887 A59 4.5d Queen Victoria.
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2478 Posts
Posted 04/24/2021   9:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

In my searches, I'm seeing similar postmarks referred to as parcel post roller cancels designed to make it easier to quickly cancel large amounts of stamps on a parcel.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32191 Posts
Posted 04/24/2021   10:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your time, on my behalf Postmaster.

I am fairly familiar with Roller Cancels of the Netherlands, Canada and Australia.

1887 seems a very early type for GB, never come across this in 20 years of collecting.
I have trolled through
Hendy
JH Daniels
Curt Furnau
Stitt Dibden
Westoby
Westly
Barette

This marking is surprisingly not addressed anywhere (unless I missed it) Hence my curiosity.

I don't expect you to waste your time further, but if you come across any similar for Belfast in the future , please post a link.

In the mean time, I'll email Irish Bloggers for assistance.

Edited by rod222 - 04/24/2021 10:27 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32191 Posts
Posted 04/24/2021   10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Postmaster, The text string was the clue , Thanks
"Belfast Roller cancel"
gave me..........( eBay)
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32191 Posts
Posted 04/25/2021   01:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seek Opinions on the Seahorse Please.
Sc#173 1913 A91 2s6d
Gibbons #400 Type 109

Perf 11x12, 22mm High
Single Cypher Wmk .......Orientation Reversed?
Waterlow Printing

Worn Plate? Smudgy appearance
Forgery?
Bottom Left Hand Corner, Inner frame line cuts across void.

Opinion on colour?

Gibbons fails to report any "worn plate" or Wmk varieties, or colour varieties on the 1913 Issue.
Could it be a 1915 issue?
Gibbons numbers offered are OK

Edited by rod222 - 04/25/2021 01:05 am
Pillar Of The Community
856 Posts
Posted 04/25/2021   02:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

At first, De La Rue used the old Waterlow plates. Those wore out. So, the stamps will be similar. De La Rue perforation holes were closer together, leaving a wide top perforation at the top on each side. De La Rue inks often are clearly visible from the back of the stamp.

I think your stamp is a 1915 De La Rue one, SG405-408.

This exists with reversed watermark (nice find!) on the yellow-brown, pale brown (worn plate), very deep brown (sorry, my eye wandered to inverted wmks.), seal brown (sepia), and blackish brown shades.
The 1913 Waterlow printings are in sepia-brown shades. Your stamp appears to have a yellowish shade (always difficult to say from a scan). That too would coincide with De La Rue.
Edited by NSK - 04/25/2021 03:14 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32191 Posts
Posted 04/25/2021   03:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your time NSK.
The Wmk still confuses me.
I have no experience with these.

A pretty ordinary stamp at first sighting
Values at 250 to 950 but its probably worth $50 or so.

I received it in a mixture from SCF Jos Sanders.
I'll email him if he would like it back
I'd be happy just with the scan and knowledge.

Quote:
De La Rue perforation holes were closer together, leaving a wide top perforation at the top on each side. De La Rue inks often are clearly visible from the back of the stamp.

Thanks
Edited by rod222 - 04/25/2021 03:07 am
Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
Posted 04/25/2021   03:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Rod,

Nice you find the good stamps in my "floor sweepings".
Please enjoy, I Absolutely do not want any stamp Returned. Would not know what to do with it.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32191 Posts
Posted 04/25/2021   03:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Whoa!
that was fast Thanks Jos.
"Floor sweepings"...a common phrase used in my local stamp club auctions

...along with "she says they must go"
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32191 Posts
Posted 04/25/2021   05:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The Hand Painted Essays, approved by the PMG.
Robson Lowe.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5599 Posts
Posted 05/06/2021   09:03 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More flotsam for the philatelic sea ...

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...s-royal-mail
Pillar Of The Community
United States
553 Posts
Posted 05/06/2021   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Given the attitude above I will just add these links to threads on SCF so as not to sully this thread with illustrations:

http://goscf.com/t/77304

http://goscf.com/t/21327&whichpage=22 See lowest post on page (link is to page 22)

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32191 Posts
Posted 05/06/2021   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the links PPG
All stamps welcomed on this thread.

So many great times in my life, can be linked to their music,
I feel fortunate to have lived through those times.

"I wanna hold you hand"... fairly pedestrian, but,
I can still remember the young lass I first held hands with,
It is up there with some of the best "fireworks" moments...

Being negative is a sour taste.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
553 Posts
Posted 05/06/2021   8:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So many great times in my life, can be linked to their music,

While I cannot disagree with your statement, I need to point out that the stamps being issued are for just Sir James Paul McCartney CH MBE and his work as a solo artist, not as part of other groups (e.g. Quarrymen, Beatles nor Wings). There is no their there. The Beatles got their UK stamps in 2007

As to the SCF links each has a different video embedded but the same outside article with its own video. Once the stamps are released later this month, they can then be posted here, or not, as the posters see fit, rather than a video which is not a stamp.

I will add that we the former colony across the pond did issue a stamp for the Beatles in 1999 (Sc. US 3188o) and for John Lennon in 2018 (Sc. US 5312-15). Here, in the USA, you are to be dead before your get your stamp.

Now I have not reviewed all pages of this thread so I don't know if the other two music individuals honored on specialized UK stamp series are shown, David Bowie and Elton John.

Edited by Parcelpostguy - 05/06/2021 9:28 pm
Page: of 34 Previous TopicReplies: 510 / Views: 40,013Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05