Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Great Britain : On Steiner Pages.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 510 / Views: 40,142Next Topic
Page: of 34
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32215 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   04:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1958-1965 Wildings Definitives.
(17) Very Lightly Hinged
CV : $3

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
856 Posts
Posted 05/10/2021   04:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In 1962, the paper was changed from a creamy type to a whiter type.
The 2.5d exists both with type I and type II image.

In 1965, the colour of the 4d was changed from ultramarine to deep ultramarine. This was not a variation in the print run, but intentional.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32215 Posts
Posted 05/14/2021   8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
3 Gorgeous Types.
The 2.5d Queen Victoria, is my favourite British Stamp.

Sc#114

Sc#115

Sc#137

1994 Postage Dues CV:$50
Hand deskewed, "Stampfix" was a rare failure.

Pillar Of The Community
856 Posts
Posted 05/15/2021   03:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, those Jubilees and Edward VIII's are great. The former set has some rare shades. The latter not only has rare shades, but also printer and perforation varieties.

Did you check the embossing on those postage due stamps? They are quite clever at Questa. At that time, Royal Mail used them as secondary printer and for litho printings.
Edited by NSK - 05/15/2021 03:16 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32215 Posts
Posted 05/15/2021   03:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi NSK,
not drilled down in any varieties of the QV.

I have not been a big fan of Questa, a lot of their output feels bland to me (Commonwealth countries) some perhaps designed by the Hungarian Vasarhelyi.

However these Postage dues hit the Mark, crisp and to the point.
I really like them, and would be interested how they were made.
If the embossing was done by die, I cannot see why the face is not marked. If done before, how do you print?
Completely discombobulated.

With due respect to Her Majesty, it is refreshing to see a definitive series without her visage.

Edited by rod222 - 05/15/2021 03:57 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5608 Posts
Posted 05/15/2021   05:37 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They aren't definitives, though. The monarch's head has never been on postage due stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
856 Posts
Posted 05/15/2021   06:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree these, probably, are Questa's best work. They appear to have embossing incorporated in the design. However, these are lithographed stamps. No photo, nor embossing was used to print them.

The whole list of British postage dues:
https://c1f5b0d7-6b6f-4089-be67-be4...553e5592.pdf
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3019 Posts
Posted 05/15/2021   06:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I never have seen those postage dues.
Al
Valued Member
India
495 Posts
Posted 05/15/2021   06:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an example of a GB 1858 1d SG 44 on a cover to London, England, canceled by Renouf/Martin type 17/Cooper type 32 O-1 duplex cancel of Lakhnau GPO (est. 1801), Lakhnau (26.8467N 80.9462E) which was the capital of erstwhile Indian Feudatory State Avadh till 1858, now in Lakhnau district of Uttar Pradesh state.

Here O is the code of Avadh Circle (created in Apr 1871), derived from the initial of Anglicized version of Avadh and 1 is the code of Lakhnau GPO, the main post office of the Circle HQ.

Pillar Of The Community
856 Posts
Posted 05/15/2021   06:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shortly after these were issued, Royal Mail stopped affixing adhesive labels to indicate postage due on underpaid and unpaid items of mail.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5608 Posts
Posted 05/15/2021   06:54 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The postman no longer collects money - it's a walk to the sorting office and a queue for the unfortunate recipient (actually, there's probably also an online payment option these days).
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32215 Posts
Posted 05/15/2021   07:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No photo, nor embossing was used to print them.

Wow! there's a real surprise,
Scott got that very wrong (Still as Phot. and Embossed in the 2017 Catalogue)
Dug out the stamps from the glassine...no embossing.

Thanks NSK
Use restricted from April 1995 for addressed to just business customers
Postage Dues ceased 28th January 2000

"Definitives" query,
I just use the term broadly for long lasting series.

If they are not postage stamps, why do they have a First Day Cover
(If they cannot prepay postage, I presume)

Edited by rod222 - 05/15/2021 07:11 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32215 Posts
Posted 05/15/2021   07:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jamestown Stamp Company

Quote:
I daresay that definitive stamps are fascinating due in part to their glorious failure at attempting to be definitive. And isn't that what makes stamp collecting so intriguing to many of us? We attempt to categorically categorize something so richly diverse as postage stamps. Yet, we discover a wonderfully engaging and mentally challenging hobby to be enjoyed for a lifetime!
Pillar Of The Community
856 Posts
Posted 05/15/2021   07:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Scott got that very wrong (Still as Phot. and Embossed in the 2017 Catalogue)

I am not familiar with Scott and have never seen any of their albums, nor catalogues.
From the many posts on this site that refer to Scott - I cannot say whether it is the reference or the source -, I am rather underwhelmed when it comes to Scott's knowledge of European stamps.

Quote:
I daresay that definitive stamps are fascinating due in part to their glorious failure at attempting to be definitive.

Considering some countries have a standing policy to replace their "definitive" series approximately every five years (Channel Islands), that is a very valid observation. They are more like a five-year plan - or rather scheme - drafted by the Philatelic Polit Bureau.
Edited by NSK - 05/15/2021 07:59 am
Pillar Of The Community
856 Posts
Posted 05/15/2021   09:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This may explain why Scott lists it as photo and embossing:

Page: of 34 Previous TopicReplies: 510 / Views: 40,142Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05