Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Great Britain : On Steiner Pages.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 592 / Views: 45,158Next Topic
Page: of 40
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1935 Posts
Posted 12/11/2017   06:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nigelc,

That is a very useful site. I have book marked it. Thank you.

Jack Kelley
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34055 Posts
Posted 12/11/2017   06:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nigel,
.....it's getting easier, but unbelievable variations.

Check this one, (hints from your original link)

Queen type of 1970 with redrawn portrait, and type of 2006,with iridescent overprint of "Royal Mail" (and Coded) in wavy lines.

2015 2nd Blue
Too late for 2017 Scott Catalogue (and Steiner)

The only De La Rue print amongst the Walsall Issues
Date Code : "ROYAL M15L"
Code behind Her Majesty's Head : "B"
Type "2" Slit (image name incorrect, should be 2 slit not 2a)

Identifies it as a stamp from a sheet of 50.

PS: I'd like to know how the Webmaster found how to scan the wavy lines

Edited by rod222 - 12/11/2017 07:02 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
153 Posts
Posted 01/12/2018   04:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crispinhj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod earlier in this topic you said

"I had this huge mess, as a worldwide collector, stuff in boxes, envelopes, Hagners
I just couldn't control it.
Now, gradually, things are getting in shape"

In a much less advanced way than with your pages, that's been my experience too. I found myself with boxes of old album pages, envelopes and packets of stamps - more or less sorted. A right old jumble.

Now I'm putting the classic stamps into a couple of New Ideals, and stamps that won't fit the restricted range of those two albums, such as many of the varieties and types of stamps such as postage dues and so on onto Steiner pages. The other advantage of the Steiner pages, of course, is that you can take selected countries past 1936

I haven't gone as far as you yet but I certainly think your idea of personal pages is a great one that I'd like to adopt.

Thanks for sharing these pages with us - I too check very regularly and find fascinatingating

ATB, Crispin
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34055 Posts
Posted 01/12/2018   3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Crispin,
hang in there, but I doubt you shall conquer it :)

To get things really in order, one needs to stop buying stamps.... that isn't going to happen.

My latest technique is to buy those $40 plastic chest of drawers, I can fits lots of
packets of stamps in there prior to mounting, beats cardboard boxes everywhere.

We do make a dent in sorting stamps, but eventually entropy wins...........

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34055 Posts
Posted 03/27/2018   03:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Sc#93 1882 CV : $10,750
Facsimile.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34055 Posts
Posted 04/26/2018   4:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Stamp Collecting GB.

Queen Victoria's son Prince Alfred started it all off with a pane of 6d stamps acquired in 1856, although the world's first stamp had been issued several years earlier, on May 1st, 1840. A passion for postage clearly runs in the family as it's rumored that the Queen's grandfather, George V, spent three uninterrupted afternoons a week with his stamp collection, which is preserved in no fewer than 328 red albums. George VI continued the tradition, keeping his acquisitions in blue binders, while the current Queen's collection is kept in green books.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1909 Posts
Posted 04/26/2018   7:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
(Arguably) The First Letter in the World, to be franked with a stamp, and delivered..........

Mr? Blenkinsop....rest unknown

There is Her Majesty, with the corner letters suggesting her welcome "Hi !"

Hi Rod,

Mr Blenkinsop Esqre
B I Works
Bedlington
Nr Morpeth

The second line is Bedlington Ironworks

Bedlington is north of Newcastle-Upon-Tyne

Yours truly had great aunties with that surname
Edited by Bobby De La Rue - 04/26/2018 7:41 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34055 Posts
Posted 04/27/2018   05:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Nicely solved Bobby

Why the scratch cancel on the tombstone?

Last name: Blenkinsop
SDB Popularity ranking: 7333

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1909 Posts
Posted 04/27/2018   05:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a handstruck '1' to indicate penny postage had been paid. It looks like there's two strikes - I'd suggest the strike on the right was applied first and it was realised it wasn't too clear so another was applied.

The SDB was an interesting read. My Blenkinsop ancestors were from Manchester.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6103 Posts
Posted 04/27/2018   05:57 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bedlington's best known for the local terrier, which resembles a mutant sheep

http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/bedli...ier#/slide/1
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1909 Posts
Posted 04/27/2018   06:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's an, um, interesting looking dog......

They do look quite bright though
Edited by Bobby De La Rue - 04/27/2018 06:18 am
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1696 Posts
Posted 04/27/2018   1:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"(Arguably) The First Letter in the World, to be franked with a stamp, and delivered...."

More appropriately it would, arguably, be the first letter in the world to be used with a Penny Black stamp as a "decoration".

The Penny Black played no part in the franking as it was not authorised for use until after 5th May.
The letter was prepaid as indicated so the stamp was unnecessary.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34055 Posts
Posted 04/27/2018   2:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
More appropriately it would, arguably, be the first letter in the world to be used with a Penny Black stamp as a "decoration"

Interesting observations, all............

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34055 Posts
Posted 05/10/2018   08:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postmarks Printed Matter
FS = Foreign Section LONDON
Seen used from the 1930's, (The Foreign Branch (FB) had been dissolved)
Used up until the WWll period.

On Sc#213 1934

Matches possibly Curt Furnau Fig 178

Postmarks Printed Matter.
Triangular Postmark SW1 (South West London)
Sc#159 1912 0.5d green

Postmark : Unlisted in the Pmk Database (exists : Whimple Penny Post 1847)

Whimple (Devon) 1911
Sc#128 1902 1d scarlet

Whimple circa 1900
wiki

Edited by rod222 - 05/10/2018 08:53 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34055 Posts
Posted 05/10/2018   9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Parcel Post Cancellations (Rubber)
Wellington SOM (Wellington Somerset)
Perfin : EB (Egerton Burnett)

Wellington Somerset
Arthur Wellesley (1st Duke of Wellington) (Battle of Waterloo)
Thereon to the Capital of New Zealand, Wellington.

Edited by rod222 - 05/10/2018 9:15 pm
Page: of 40 Previous TopicReplies: 592 / Views: 45,158Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05