Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Great Britain : On Steiner Pages.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 692 / Views: 52,149Next Topic
Page: of 47
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6550 Posts
Posted 07/04/2022   03:14 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting little article on the codes that are being added toGB definitives:

https://www.theguardian.com/society...ge-and-upset
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35818 Posts
Posted 07/04/2022   04:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Digital...Bah!
I see dealers with heaps of mint stamps, useless by 2023

After my Paypal idiocy, where I was locked out of my account, because I did not use my phone number with 1 digit removed,

I now have Car Insurance with Royal Automobile Club, they have all my details, yet, because my address is not in their database, I am refused $80 discount by purchasing insurance online.

IT morons.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6550 Posts
Posted 07/04/2022   04:30 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The existing GB stamps won't be useless - definitives can be exchanged, commemoratives are unaffected. It will be interesting to see whether the promised benefits on counterfeiting/reuse arrive, although I'm unclear hiw they'd be measured.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35818 Posts
Posted 07/04/2022   04:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I still think, there will be lots of owners of mint stamps in stock,
that will not surrender for whatever reasons.

Confirms my opinion, it is the evil people in the world, that eventually set the standards for the rest of us.

Personally I have no issue with the QR code thingy, although linking it to video
is gimmicky.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6550 Posts
Posted 07/04/2022   04:51 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes - there'll be collectors of decimal material, or, less happily, their heirs, who could be left with a Machin mountain that no longer carries a face value percentage value, which is around 50% at present.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35818 Posts
Posted 07/04/2022   05:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quote : "Royalists not amused"

The Handwritten Letter Appreciation society
https://thehandwrittenletterappreci...society.org/

Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1677 Posts
Posted 07/04/2022   06:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a friend who lives in Moscow. (Well, two there, one in Murmansk and two in Novosibirsk.) She has been nagging for me to send her a present. After, surprisingly, mail started to arrive across Russia, I sent her a box with € 8 worth of cantuccini I bought in Trieste and she wanted. I paid € 17 postage. Registered would have cost € 27 and probably not have made any difference. I did not expect them to be delivered or at least not for a few months.

As she says 'the Orks at Russia Post may have eaten them.' Digitalisation has its advantages as you might be able to track where the snail carrying your letter is being slowed down. You might even pinpoint the location of the canuccini-eating Orks.
Edited by NSK - 07/04/2022 06:13 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6550 Posts
Posted 07/04/2022   06:27 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At least they won't be dazed and confused after the feast

https://metro.co.uk/2022/02/03/daze...es-16039128/
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35818 Posts
Posted 07/04/2022   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Refreshing you British Philatelic Lexicon.
GUMPAPS
A coined word, much in vogue, at one time in England, as a comtemptuous cognomen for "speculative" stamps.

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35818 Posts
Posted 07/10/2022   10:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1d Black Red QV Plate 77
Notes : 30th September 1911

https://www.spink.com/media/view?id=534
Edited by rod222 - 07/10/2022 11:35 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35818 Posts
Posted 07/11/2022   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

We all have bad days,
some, more than others..................

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35818 Posts
Posted 07/16/2022   04:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The very early days of stamp collecting.
THE STAMP CHART

Chats on stamps : Fred J. Melville

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35818 Posts
Posted 07/24/2022   7:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

RAILWAY LETTER POST
Bib : "Chats on Stamps" Fred J Melville. (Date unknown)

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35818 Posts
Posted 07/26/2022   07:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
POST-OFFICE SAVINGS BANKS.
( To offer banking facilities to vast amounts of the population , in rural and remotes situations)

A paper by Mr F.J. Scudamore, " On Post- Office Savings Banks,"

was read by Professor MACDOUGALL. The operations of the Post-Office Savings Banks were commenced on the 16th September 1861, on which day banks for the receipt of deposits were opened at 300 money -order offices in Eng land and Wales. Within six months from the commencement of business, banks had been opened at 1933 money -order offices in England and Wales, 300 in Ireland, and 299 in Scotland - 2532 money -order offices in the United Kingdom ..

Further additions have since then been made, and there are now 2085 banks in England and Wales, 493 in Ireland, and 347 in Scotland—2925 in the United Kingdom. In two years, from the 16th September 1861 to the 15th September 1863, the Post-Office banks have received £.3,736,885 in 1,208,938 separate deposits, and they have repaid £.1,088,544 in 226,245 separate sums.

They have opened accounts for 324,355 depositors, and, on the 15th September 1863, the accounts of 266,857 of those depositors remained open in the books of the Post-Office, and the total sum due to those depositors was on that day L. 2,648,340. The growth of the business of the banks is regular and constant. A larger amount of business is transacted on the Monday and Saturday in each week than on other days in the week, but the variations from week to week are inconsiderable, and on an average the sum received every week by all the Post Office banks is L.41,500, and it is composed of 15,000 deposits ;

Another marked advantage of the Post-Office banks, and one which has been largely appreciated, is this - that a depositor in any Post-Office bank may continue his deposits, or obtain repayment of his money at that bank, or at any other of the three thousand banks of the United Kingdom , without change of book or breaking of account
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35818 Posts
Posted 07/31/2022   07:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Non Philatelic.
Education 1509

Charter School under Warrant of Henry Vlll (King and Jouster)
Saint Paul's School London.

Admits a limit of 153 Students (CLiii)
School hours 7am-11am 1pm to 5pm

Must learn the Catechism, and pray 3 times a day
No Tallow Candles permitted.

Edited by rod222 - 07/31/2022 08:01 am
Page: of 47 Previous TopicReplies: 692 / Views: 52,149Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05