Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 114 without a grill  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
162 Posts
Posted 06/17/2017   08:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wheelman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
In going through the consolidation of my fathers US collection into mine I have come across a #114 that I cannot find a grill. I have viewed under various angles and lighting and placed in wm fluid. It is used but has a little bit of gum remainder. Are there any other methods before this is sent out for certification? Thanks for your valued input. Paul
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
Posted 06/17/2017   08:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Daveinva47 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Paul, post a high few high res scans of the 114. I have a couple 114's that I thought didn't have grills but after posting scans here, at least one had very hard to see grill points that were pointed out. According to why I've read on here (search for 114 and grills for more posts) the grills are easily pressed out and/or are very lightly done in the first place.
Back to my original point, post some scans and let everybody take a look, they might see something.
Dave
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Daveinva47 - 06/17/2017 08:44 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
162 Posts
Posted 06/17/2017   09:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wheelman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately I will not have access to a scanner for about 6 more weeks. Long story. I will post it then. Thanks for the guidance.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1563 Posts
Posted 06/18/2017   10:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add essayk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wheelman, in the meantime we can save you some money. Since your stamp is used it won't be certified by the PF or the other top agencies. It is a trivial challenge to soak a used stamp with a weak grill in order to press out what might be seen. So only undisturbed OG can get a cert for "no grill."
Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
Posted 06/19/2017   3:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Daveinva47 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
EssayK, does that mean the only certs for no grill would go to unused 114's?
that seems rather extreme to me (but I don't know anything about how easy or not it would be to press out a grill)...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1563 Posts
Posted 06/19/2017   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add essayk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It practically means that, Daveinva47. The Scott Specialized lists the 114a, 4 used on two kinds of paper, but with a footnote discussing the 4. One on white paper is OG with a pen cancel. One was lifted on cover (hence verified as not having been "pressed."

Two are on a special "gray paper" one of which is lifted on cover as above, and one is in a special used strip of three with and without grill.

That's it for all the world so far. Bonafide examples might still be out there (probably are) but if YOU take them off you will never get a cert. The agencies must do that.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2100 Posts
Posted 06/19/2017   5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are some few acknowledged used without grill 114s.

https://siegelauctions.com/lot_grd....ubmit=Search

I wonder if having some original gum, like the first example on the Siegel site, makes it more likely to receive a cert?
Edited by stampcrow - 06/19/2017 5:52 pm
Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
Posted 06/19/2017   9:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Daveinva47 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Essay and Stampcrow, this is fascinating to me!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Scott Master Canada Album
  US 3138 Imperf Bugs Pane
  Need help with Canada Pre-Stamped 8 cent 1970's Postcards collection
  Somebody got a good deal
  Swiss postage stamp scott #332
  SCF Staff Response Time?
  Is this Trinidad cancel fiscal?
  George V 'Downey Head' Perfin PDN (transatlantic PO)
  Tsarist Russia Stamps [Need Help]
  Ready to start mounting stamps
  Colour shades on newish stamps to.
  Cape of Good Hope : Stamps etc.
  Which one to choose from 3C. 1857 -61
  Spanish American War patriotics and revenue usages.
  Great Britain Scott #65?
  Bulgaria Aquatic championship 1985
  Swedsh coil scott # 319a
  UK 1971 strike post to US via France
  How do you accurately measure such small dimensions
  hole-punch or page protectors?
  Recently Acquired Examples of Scott 24
  RB1 & RB2 paper differences?
  Image Optimizer Help
  George v. Any interest
  Mexico - 5 Classic Stamps

Isle of Man : Her Stamps on Steiner Pages.
  Zeps-king of the skies
  Great Britain : Postmarks.
  Science-Fiction/Fantasy Stamps
  Camels on stamps?
  Need help with Canada Pre-Stamped 8 cent 1970's Postcards collection
  Egyptian Themed Stamps
  Which one to choose from 3C. 1857 -61
  Recently Acquired Examples of Scott 24
  Today's challenge: spot the "better" stamp in this lot.
  Somebody got a good deal
  need help to find value and if are good or rares stamps
  Natural straight edge color lines.
  APS and ATA to Co-Host 2018 Stamp Show
  Cape of Good Hope : Stamps etc.
  Swiss postage stamp scott #332
  Value for Specimen overprint on NSW #67?
  Rare 1922 Russia #B18a major error
  US 3138 Imperf Bugs Pane
  Scott Master Canada Album
  Great Britain Scott #65?
  China : 3 items for ID
  Birds Perched, Birds Flying, Birds aground
  RB1 & RB2 paper differences?
  New Zealand Postage Due. Help with SG Number

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.41 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05