Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Pardon my question, but are the Chinese counterfeiting stamps yet?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
Posted 06/17/2017   08:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add thestampguy1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
I've been looking around on eBay, just wondering if any of these stamps are counterfeits?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
2245 Posts
Posted 06/17/2017   09:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are many private reprints of many new valuable Chinese stamps that are on sale online such as the year of the monkey 1980 red stamp.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
Posted 06/17/2017   10:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thestampguy1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was referring to the Chinese copying old US stamps, like they do the coins.
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
Posted 06/17/2017   7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm aware of some less than ethical folks repairing, misrepresenting, and sometimes outright forging US classics, but none of the ones I know of are Chinese. Americans, Canadians, and UKians: yes. (Some, you might find, are even ASDA members!)
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
Posted 06/17/2017   8:47 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For the most part people are not trying to create phony old stamps since doing that well requires specific types of paper and ink that are just not going to happen. What you do see is cheap or damaged old stamps being modified to make them look like more valuable stamps. Take a look at lot 15 at this auction that just concluded. https://stampauctionnetwork.com/v/v7001.cfm#4 Most of these stamps look like unused valuable old stamps but are actually stamps where someone lightened the cancellation to make them look more valuable. Frankly the selling price for this lot makes no sense. Someone either didn't look carefully or they might try to pass them off on someone as authentic. They were sold at auction with all the certificates stating they are modified and/or faulty.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
659 Posts
Posted 06/17/2017   8:56 pm  Show Profile Check Philatarium's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
According to this article from Linn's from earlier this year, contemporary stamps are being forged in China and sold here as postage. I understand that some of the postage lots are being sold on eBay and Amazon in bulk lots.

http://www.linns.com/news/us-stamps...-stamps.html
Complete MNH sets of Trucial States (& more) on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/the.philatarium/m.html

Japan, Korea, Swiss booklets & more on HipStamp: https://www.hipstamp.com/store/the-...sort=catalog

member: American Philatelic Society, Int'l Society for Japanese Philately, & others
Valued Member
United States
410 Posts
Posted 06/18/2017   9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was referring to the Chinese copying old US stamps, like they do the coins.

Haven't heard any rumors yet. Printing truly engraved designs from scratch is possible but not likely. Correct ink and paper would still be major problems. Collector-experts, dealer-experts and expert groups would detect fakes rather quickly. Plus fakes of valuable modern lithographed stamps are easier to do.

I would be more wary about repairs, adding margins or piecing together a stamp from two or more faulty ones. I've examined covers in the past that were extensively repaired, with or without a "before" photo on hand. Some were really amazing works, even under magnification, blacklight, fluid, though there was typically something "off" enough that the item became suspicious. That something could be just looking too good to be true for a 100 to 150-year-old cover.

Edited by hy-brasil - 06/18/2017 10:04 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Kuwait Air Mail to Bombay 1948 Olympics Cover Overprint
  R72a With Almost An Interesting Cancel
  Alaska Fisheries Union
  Stamp Exposition of Southern California (SESCAL)
  Is it true that encapsulated PSE stamps sell less than non-encapsulated for the same grading?
  Help measuring Persia ‭1911 Ahmad Shah Qajar stamp portraits
  Need Help with Bahia Brazil 600rs 1923 Stamp Value
  Great Britain Collectors Club Website
  Need help with I'd of town cancel
  Need Help with 1893+ Romania 5 Bani Black / Grey Stamp
  Chinese military stamps
  Made a Mistake Posting?
  Airmail cover with 5 cent surcharge
  Newspaper Stamp Identification
  Sweeden Stamp 24 ORE
  Canadian Youth Wins APS Stamp Show Exhibit Grand Champion of Champions Award
  An Avatar Request for me.
  A beautiful #122 for grading
  Queen Victoria Cyprus Error Query
  Interesting Revenues
  Need identifying assistance with Stamps titled Emp: Ottoman 2 Piastres
  Need identification assistance with Stamp titled Deutscher Wechsel-Stempel M. 1,00
  Green Lyebird stamp information please
  Source for China Treaty Port pages

Asking for tips on how to arrange particular stamps
  Kuwait Air Mail to Bombay 1948 Olympics Cover Overprint
  Andorra Question re a Cinderella Issue
  Smithsonian help on a card
  Need help with I'd of town cancel
  ALMOST FREE MEMBERSHIP In the Precancel Society!
  Source for China Treaty Port pages
  The 5 stages of competitive auction bidding...
  A beautiful #122 for grading
  Stamp Smarter August Contest
  Queen Victoria Cyprus Error Query
  Is this #39 very fine? Worth grading?
  R72a With Almost An Interesting Cancel
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  Fermented Fruit Juice catalogue values
  R85d Interesting Find Obtained from Ebay
  Alaska Fisheries Union
  Scott #56 Ebay Extremely Large Bid
  Is it true that encapsulated PSE stamps sell less than non-encapsulated for the same grading?
  Collecting New Self-Adhesive Stamps
  Need Help with 1893+ Romania 5 Bani Black / Grey Stamp
  Need Help with Bahia Brazil 600rs 1923 Stamp Value
  Please Show Us Your Angel Stamps!
  Thematic : Basketball on Stamps.
  1934 National Parks Series and 1935 Farley Reprints

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.54 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05