Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Early Ceylon With "Cave" Overprint

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 3,594Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...

United States
1624 Posts
Posted 06/22/2017   3:39 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add KRelyea to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Am I missing a footnote, I don't see these in Scott.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United Kingdom
163 Posts
Posted 06/22/2017   3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add peterh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1565 Posts
Posted 06/22/2017   5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing philatelic in the link...... ???
Learn More...
United States
10458 Posts
Posted 06/22/2017   5:19 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Answer found in this forum...
Here is the thread
http://goscf.com/t/7186&SearchTerms=cave+overprint
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7912 Posts
Posted 06/22/2017   5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That link must be wrong. I tried it and could not make anything out of it.

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3928 Posts
Posted 06/22/2017   5:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I did a search on this site, and found a much earlier reference to CAVE in this link

http://goscf.com/t/7186#58443

(Don beat me to the punch.)
Edited by Partime - 06/22/2017 5:28 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1624 Posts
Posted 06/22/2017   6:16 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everybody!
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1726 Posts
Posted 06/23/2017   04:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As there are some dead links and missing illustrations from the earlier threads, this information may be of interest:

"Henry William Cave came to Ceylon in 1872, at the age of eighteen, to work as the Secretary to the Archbishop of Colombo. Four years later he established a bookstore. Soon the business expanded its merchandise to include musical instruments and eventually a wide variety of other consumer goods which found a ready market amongst entertainment hungry planters. Cave returned to England in 1886, the year in which this stamp, bearing the imprint of his company was issued. However, he continued to be interested in H.W. Cave and Company until his death in 1913.

These private overprints, similar to private "perfins," were intended to prevent theft of stamps for non-business use by employees. They are the private equivalents of various official overprints such as "On Service". "

Source:
http://www.groseducationalmedia.ca/...ceylon1.html

Also: The overprints were applied between the years 1884 and 1908. Overprinting ceased in 1908 when the company instead began to use the 'CAVE' perfin.
Edited by 22crows - 06/23/2017 04:14 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1624 Posts
Posted 07/03/2017   10:53 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To close out this discussion:

Valued Member
Canada
54 Posts
Posted 01/18/2022   2:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DeeBee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You have some nice examples here. They are quite common and with 7 or so different styles of overprint fun to gather. I managed to put together a small collection of these and have them mounted in my Ceylon collection. As you can imagine, a company like Cave did a lot of business using mail correspondence so doubtful if there are any riches to be made.
Learn More...
United States
10458 Posts
Posted 01/18/2022   2:52 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Note: "Bumped" thread.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5861 Posts
Posted 01/18/2022   5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A early CAVE overprint with additional commercial overprints from my collection .
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 3,594Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05