Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Australian Oddities

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3115 Posts
Posted 03/24/2019   7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My doctor is a First Flight collector, I'll give him a link to this page.

The more looks the better. Thanks for commenting and offering your help.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
729 Posts
Posted 04/14/2019   10:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add finches to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Partime, Love your oddities. Indulge me posting the following image(perfed 2.5mm short on width) on your 'oddities thread'...found in box of 600+ NSW 2d Blues. At the very least, a full vertical row similar was made/issued.

Edited by finches - 04/15/2019 3:04 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26342 Posts
Posted 04/15/2019   3:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opinion:
Something amiss with the perforations (on your stamp) Left hand side. Caution.
There are examples of line perforations poorly centred.
Edited by rod222 - 04/15/2019 4:24 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
729 Posts
Posted 04/15/2019   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add finches to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod222...exactly, BUT it's genuine(imo).. 'possibly set wrong' at the start of perfing after cleaning/maintenance etc. Must be a column, at least, out in collectors stash. I only soaked it off envelope corner last week when searching for private perfins for another Thread.
Edited by finches - 04/15/2019 7:22 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3115 Posts
Posted 04/15/2019   9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those left side perfs do look a bit suspicious, but why would someone take the time on this one? A keeper.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
729 Posts
Posted 04/16/2019   3:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add finches to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
both together comparing misperf width.

Edited by finches - 04/16/2019 3:49 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3115 Posts
Posted 04/21/2019   7:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Probably not an oddity, but I haven't posted anything new here in awhile. This is Scott 318, ACSC 353. The color is listed in Scott as Carmine, and in ACSC as Lake. ACSC notes the two types based on a small break relief in the lower part of the 4. The top two stamps are ACSC Type B, with a break, while the lower item is a ACSC Type A, with no break. All were scanned at the same time, and all appear to be MNH. None are from booklets. Do the colors look different to you? (Admittedly, the lower stamp does look like it took a bit of damage somewhere in its life.)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3115 Posts
Posted 04/21/2019   10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This may be a re-entry. Scott 321, ACSC 358, First Master Plate. This is the 8d Tiger Cat. ACSC notes production difficulties throughout. Here is a pair. The left hand stamp has a damaged lower right frameline, and what appears to be a re-entry in the last A of Australia. I can't find it listed in my older copy of ACSC.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
755 Posts
Posted 04/22/2019   8:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Partime

The image above shows both types A & B. Relating to note 1 of the ACSC 2019 it states:

The two types of this stamp are the result of a relief break on the transfer roller. Type A (as in die proof) shows no break in the centre of the outer vertical line below the cross-bar of the "4". Type B shows such a break.

Rob
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
755 Posts
Posted 04/22/2019   10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Partime

Your stamp is shown at right. It is in the 2019 edition of the ACSC as 359q. Roller shift to right frame and "IA" of "AUSTRALIA": Sheet B; Row 3/7. Catalogued $50 unused and $35 used.

Rob

Edited by Rob041256 - 04/22/2019 10:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3115 Posts
Posted 04/22/2019   10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rob. Yes, that is understood, but I am wondering about the color difference, if any. I think I see some difference, but maybe others don't.

In any case, here is a blowup of the A, B difference from my actual stamps. Your example for B doesn't really show the break too well.

Type A with no break:

Type B with a break:
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3115 Posts
Posted 04/22/2019   10:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Your stamp is shown at right. It is in the 2019 edition of the ACSC as 359q.

Arrgh! I need newer books. I'll be in Australia in a month ... maybe I'll find something out there.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
755 Posts
Posted 04/22/2019   10:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It only mentions one shade, and that is "Lake". But that doesn't mean that various unlisted lighter shades will not occur during the printing process.

If I look at many of these stamps for example, I will most likely find a few different lighter or slightly darker shades not listed.

Rob
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
729 Posts
Posted 04/22/2019   11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add finches to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Partime... prefer the name Quoll instead of 'Tiger cat' for our nocturnal carnivorous hunter.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26342 Posts
Posted 04/22/2019   11:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steve,
nice find on the Tiger Quoll, not seen before.
Shall have to check all my examples

Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05