Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Australian Oddities

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3117 Posts
Posted 04/23/2019   12:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Partime... prefer the name Quoll instead of 'Tiger cat' for our nocturnal carnivorous hunter.

Just curious. How many animals in Australia are NOT carnivorous or can kill you with just a look?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26433 Posts
Posted 04/23/2019   01:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The latest 4 dangerous animals, are the 4 big Banks.......
If you plan hiking in Western Australia, be sure to wear gators.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
750 Posts
Posted 04/23/2019   03:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add finches to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Partime...Rod222's post currently accurate in Australia. lol.

Bitten TWICE by resident 'Golden Crown snake'. 14" nocturnal hunter, loves warm pavers to hunt...always take a torch to shed now. Lovely fellow but so aggresive if one inadvertantly steps in front. Quite a shock!.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1078 Posts
Posted 04/23/2019   04:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aussie Al to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Our biggest menace is Funnel Web spiders around here.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3117 Posts
Posted 04/23/2019   12:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Love the map, even with some descriptive words missing. Quite a fun place!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3117 Posts
Posted 05/03/2019   10:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just received some recent eBay purchases of Australian covers. This one has an OS overprinted 3d King George, making it Scott O9 (ACSC 109OS) and also a Tasmania perfin on Scott 133 (ACSC 149).

I should note that this is obviously a philatelic item, especially with the name of A. A. Rosenblum prominently displayed on the front. However, I would like some opinions about the value of such. The 3d with OS overprint has an interesting write-up in ACSC:

Quote:
The circumstances of the issue of this stamp were unusual. The Post Office did not know that any stocks of the 3d stamps existed overprinted OS, and were unaware of its issue until the announcement in the philatelic press. Subsequent investigation revealed that a quantity of 500 sheets had accidentally been sent by the Stamp Printer to Brisbane and Melbourne (instead of OS punctures). In the circumstances, it was decided to continue issue of the stamp, although the majority of the issue was disposed of in cancelled-to-order condition to collectors.

The perfin example, and the extremely good strikes showing October 7, 1935 also point to a collectable item. What do our Aussie experts think?

I should also note that ACSC states that it was issued March 1933 and OS overprints were officially withdrawn as from February 1933. (Huh?)

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26433 Posts
Posted 05/03/2019   11:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Item Steve.
Know nothing about it, will look in the Airmail Catalogue.
Observations:
"T" Perfin Tasmania, if it is Tasmania, it is the best aligned T perfin I have seen, being an official cover, that would support the suggestion,
but how did it get to Sydney?

Postmark FCT is nice, Federal Capital Territory, prior it to becoming ACT Australian Capital territory.

Cat# 537A The Ausralian Air Mail Catalogue 1988 Nelson Eustis
Edited by rod222 - 05/03/2019 11:10 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26433 Posts
Posted 05/03/2019   11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
OS overprints were officially withdrawn as from February 1933. (Huh?)

Withdrawn from sale, not usage?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3117 Posts
Posted 05/03/2019   11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
But my interest is that it was withdrawn before it was issued...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3117 Posts
Posted 05/03/2019   11:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your comments and research, Rod. ACSC gives the 3d OS quite the high premium on a mailed cover, but also notes lower value on philatelic items. Anyway, a nice addition.
Edited by Partime - 05/03/2019 11:22 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26433 Posts
Posted 05/04/2019   12:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But my interest is that it was withdrawn before it was issued...

Right you are,
I have to get to Brusden to investigate the stamp etc.
Possibly tomorrow.

Quote:
Anyway, a nice addition.

Indeed, as I read it, only 1 of 127
Still curious on how it got to Sydney without any markings.
(albeit, I am new to this Air Post discipline)

PS: The Shakespeares were owners, I believe of several publishing businesses, around 1926 They opened "The Canberra Times"
J W Shakespeare was a reporter for that paper.

Edited by rod222 - 05/04/2019 12:50 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3117 Posts
Posted 05/04/2019   12:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have to get to Brusden to investigate the stamp etc. Possibly tomorrow.

Rod, your help is appreciated, as always.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26433 Posts
Posted 05/04/2019   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I should also note that ACSC states that it was issued March 1933 and OS overprints were officially withdrawn as from February 1933. (Huh?)

See note 1 "In the circumstances, it was decided to continue issue of the stamp" ( similar overtones to the US Dag Hammarskjold issue)

Steve, nice item, agree with your comments, and being only 1 of 127 covers.
I enjoyed learning about this issue.

CV is $1,200 for Postal History usage, yours is Flight motivated, hence will attract a considerably lower sum
Price? Whom knows?
Not informed on the "Airmail 4 Sydney" Postmark, Maybe Bobby De La Rue can chip in.
Nice clean, crisp cover, welcomed in any collection I should think.

Tough to mount or show, all mine end up in Polypropylene envelopes in a shoe box.
Nice to show digitally.
PS: I wonder if the cover came up to Sydney in a private press satchel, from Tasmania, given the names connected to the cover, or, if it originated in Sydney, the sender had access to Tasmanian Official Stamps.

Edited by rod222 - 05/04/2019 9:55 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3117 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is an oddity concerning pricing. This is an Australian stamp overprinted for use in the North West Pacific Islands. Non-overprinted Australian stamps (Scott 52) are about $325 in Mint condition. As soon as you add "N. W. Pacific Islands.", making it Scott 35, the value drops to $25. Darn! The rounded edge at lower right, and the slight stain at lower left also don't help.

And, to add to the annoyance, ACSC notes a variety 37(2)m, called "Break in left frame opposite base of A of Australia". It gives this version a value multiplier of about 3, but I have no idea how that would affect the value of NWPI Scott 35. Just for my records, I'll assume the same multiplier of 3x.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26433 Posts
Posted 05/20/2019   05:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is an oddity concerning pricing.

Steve, don't feel so bad,
here is my Sc#45 (Type R6) Turkey in Asia CV : $5,000
alas, mine is overprinted CV $4
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.01 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05