Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Australian Oddities

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3343 Posts
Posted 12/20/2019   10:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Popular guy. Thanks for the quick and very complete reply.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   02:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steve,
what edition of Brusden White are you employing?

My edition 2007 is 91(4) h Location 4R24

Time for me to upgrade methinks.
Edited by rod222 - 12/21/2019 03:01 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3343 Posts
Posted 12/21/2019   1:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod. Annoying how Brusden White changes their numbering system every edition or so, but I guess that's what happens when more varieties are found/noted. My ACSC is 2014.

I'd like to upgrade to the latest, color version of ACSC. But shipping to USA is cost prohibitive at this point. Happy Holidays!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3343 Posts
Posted 12/30/2019   11:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is something I can't find in my ACSC 2014 book. I bought a small set of stamps recently. This is Australia overprinted Northwest Pacific Islands. Scott 17. There is an odd break at the left bottom frame that looks like a constant, and not a one-off inking flaw. Any ideas?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3343 Posts
Posted 12/31/2019   11:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I found another oddity, but Chris emailed me that this was relatively common. Here is North West Pacific Islands Scott 25. It is Australia 2sh with N. W. Pacific Islands overprint. It also has a nice radio station cancel of Nauru.

What I thought was special, was that the watermark is inverted, as seen in this through scan.

The letdown is the fact that Chris told me that this is relatively common for the NWPI overprint. If it was a normal Australian stamp, the inverted watermark variety would make it worth AUS$1500. However, the overprint lowers the value to maybe US$100 to the right collector. Into the album it goes, and thanks to Chris for his quick reply at the end to the year.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3343 Posts
Posted 01/05/2020   12:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Stationery example. ACSC lists Military Envelopes starting at ME1 (1916) and going through ME6. The only ones imprinted Australian Imperial Force were ME1 and ME2.

This is an ME1 example, based on the 9mm distance between "Military Envelope" and Regimental Number.

The example in ACSC has a slightly different location for the stamp, as you can easily see below. All else is as described in ACSC.

There are two different Formes described for ME1, but they only have to do with the double line starting point. Here is a closeup of the 1d stamp.

Any idea why this is different than what I can find in the catalog?
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
580 Posts
Posted 01/05/2020   01:33 am  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Parttime,

Not really sure. I know that with imprints in Australian stamps, there is up to 5mm movement in placement of the imprint due to some looseness in the printing plate. I doubt the volume of material printed in your subject would create this.

Would you post up the pages from the ACSC?

John
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3343 Posts
Posted 01/05/2020   10:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Would you post up the pages from the ACSC?

I hope these are readable. Send me a email if you need anything else.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
580 Posts
Posted 01/05/2020   2:26 pm  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think you should submit yours as a new example. Perhaps the settings of the forme across the three printings differed in regard to the placement of the indicium.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3343 Posts
Posted 01/05/2020   2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I think I will send a copy to Kellow/ACSC for their opinion. But, just to clarify, the ENTIRE card would be printed at one time, right? They don't print the KGV in one pass, and all else in the second pass? Just wondering, as I can't quite find the information in ACSC. Thanks in advance.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
580 Posts
Posted 01/06/2020   02:51 am  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Parttime,

If it was a two-stage process, it would say so.

John
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3343 Posts
Posted 01/19/2020   6:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This one is Scott 27, ACSC 95. I've noted multiple times that my ACSC copy is a few years old. Maybe someone can point me to the latest identification? The area of concern is the top, right of crown, with a very clean break, as shown below.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1082 Posts
Posted 01/19/2020   7:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aussie Al to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Partime

Electro 4A left pane 43 .

R.F.Parsons J.M. Sandy catalogue 1997.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3343 Posts
Posted 01/19/2020   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Al. Good to know. My 2014 ACSC only lists issues with Electro 4A as position R51 (Dent in bottom frame under NC of Pence" and R56 (Break in right frame, opposite emu). I will assume about equivalent catalogue value.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3343 Posts
Posted 02/02/2020   11:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I enjoy fly specking the early Australian. Sometimes I see something that is there, sometimes not. Help me out with this one please.

Scott 26 (ACSC 89). This used example has an interesting inking error at the tail of the kangaroo.

The entire stamp:

The area of interest:

A clean, MNH version for comparison:

A piece of paper causing the problem? Hmm.
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05