Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Australian Oddities

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 408 / Views: 26,414Next Topic
Page: of 28
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3539 Posts
Posted 05/26/2020   9:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also in today's mail was this item. Scott 57, ACSC53xd, which is a Type C Specimen with sub-type 1, a damaged "C". The frequency is one in every 6 stamps, so not quite as interesting as my previous example. It is also a marginal copy, as can be seen by the through scan.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29761 Posts
Posted 05/26/2020   10:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steve I am having a nosey around,
albeit, I only have an earlier catalogue than you, so doubtful if I can help.

Quote:
A through scan shows that it is a marginal copy, from the sixth column, if I read ACSC correctly.

I presume you realise this is the 6th column of the overprint forme,
whether this can have any relavence to the stamp, I am unaware.
No idea on overprint forme size / quantity.

The dandy roll line indicate RH border, so with information on the opt forme, may well indicate your stamps plate position.

Regarding the black line through the Kangaroo (extraordinary)
look at ACSC 41g 2/- Maroon
There exists a scratch across kangaroo very similar.

I am thinking your black line may be a unwanted part of the overprint forme print, yet it seems weird that it just fitted the kangaroo.
The mark does not match the Kangaroo colour.

Also look a little above the large black line
There is also a faint line mark going across the back of the Kangaroo
This is listed as a white line in that position in ACSC 56
You need to look under magnification.
Edited by rod222 - 05/26/2020 11:25 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3539 Posts
Posted 05/27/2020   12:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod. Thanks as always for your help. I did a little more snooping on that 2 pound item myself. ACSC says that the machine-printed formes of 30 were used (5 horizontal rows of 6). The full sheets of 120 (two panes of 60 each, 10 horizontal rows of 6), were divided and all marginal paper was removed.

As far as I can tell, the battered "N" is from forme column 6 and probably arose during use. I found a battered "N" on a 10sh Gray and Pink in the Siegel Auction of the Goldfarm collection from October 7, 2014. That stamp was ACSC 50x, which means C of A Watermark, which was printed starting in July 1932. My 2-pound stamp, ACSC 56xb var, was from two printings starting in February 1930 totaling 1800 stamps. Therefore, the only thing I can conclude is that the battered "N" started on or before February 1930. If that is true, then I would expect a battered "N" on every Type C overprint issue after that date, with a frequency of at least 1 in 30. Maybe more examples will show up?

I have another example coming in a week or two that should be more interesting.
Valued Member
Australia
9 Posts
Posted 05/27/2020   04:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add harry64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Partime.
Some info on your One Pound Grey Roo.

1 Grey Kangaroo and Map
RIGHT 37

---Third Watermark (Harrison printing)---
no 2013 ACSC listing

Kangaroo: Small nick slightly to the left of the high point
on the roo's back.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3539 Posts
Posted 05/27/2020   10:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Harry. Does that position match with the marginal watermark line? Identifying these are not as easy as I thought.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29761 Posts
Posted 05/27/2020   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it does.
Position 37 of any plate
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3539 Posts
Posted 05/27/2020   10:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod. Thanks so much for that Plate Layout. I'm sure it has been posted before, but I just couldn't find it. Now I'm very confident that I have Sub-type 1 in position R37. Fantastic.

Can I also assume the same plate layout for the 2-pound? If so, it also looks like the Position R, but I can't quite make out if any of the POSTAGE is visible on the right side ... it's almost too compact to determine the exact letters that might be visible. To be honest, the letters are so close that it looks like COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA somewhere, but that means the watermark would be reversed, which would be very strange indeed. Anyway, thanks for your detective work.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29761 Posts
Posted 05/27/2020   10:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steve,
I was a bit nervous replying, the Kangaroo is not my strong suit.
So without research
As far as I assume, all Kangaroo plates were of 60 dies.
6 across 10 down

For printing, the press may have "120 on", "240 on" or "480 on"
So a plate can be left or right, upper, or lower.
The plates come in a matrix, depending on the issue.

Ergo: All Odd numbers 1 through 55 (multiple of six) shall always be the left hand margin of a plate.

No doubt the intelligentsia shall correct me/us
Edited by rod222 - 05/27/2020 10:24 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29761 Posts
Posted 05/27/2020   10:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You need to research what config your particular Kangaroo used

The penny red was "480 on"
(2, four plate configurations)
excuse my crummy drafting, imagine these joined together with a vertical gutter in the middle
Edited by rod222 - 05/27/2020 10:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3539 Posts
Posted 05/27/2020   10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
According to ACSC, we have a 120-on, two panes of 60 each 10 horizontal rows of 6, so I think it matches your original pane drawing.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29761 Posts
Posted 05/27/2020   11:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent.
So you have it plated (R37) R7/1

Valued Member
Australia
134 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   12:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add langtounlad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 1d Roos were printed 480-on up to November 1913. After then plates E/F, G/H and K/H were printed 240-on.

After plate 1 was substituted by plate 3 in the 2d Roo although the printing was 240-on the plates were a different type - Die 1 and Die 2A - technically each type was only 120-on. Important to note if you are counting cliches by type.

The remaining low values were 240-on.

There was a slight aberration in the bicolours. According to ACSC the 5/- vignette panes were swapped for one printing. Although this did not affect the 120-on configuration it does affect plating the vignette varieties. See General Notes for the bicoloured series.

Regards
Frank
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29761 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   03:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Frank.

Any members have an image of the 3rd Watermark Dandy Roll ?

or, a drafted image of the Dandy Roll 3rd Watermark Image replete with Marginal Markings please ?

Edited by rod222 - 05/28/2020 03:01 am
Valued Member
Australia
9 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   06:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add harry64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Partime
Some info on your 2 pound roo.
I believe the Letters on the right side outside the margin coincide with the ALT of COMMONWEALTH.
If so, then that would make your stamp R30. Right Pane, Stamp 30

R30 (5/6) Line 5 Stamp 6. Small faint colour flaw just below junction of hind legs.

The best I could come up with
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29761 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   08:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Location of colour Flaw........
Page: of 28 Previous TopicReplies: 408 / Views: 26,414Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 21.67 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05