Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Australian Oddities

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 408 / Views: 26,442Next Topic
Page: of 28
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3539 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   09:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just want to say that harry64 and rod222 have helped me so much on these last few items. Great detective work! Thanks.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Partime - 05/28/2020 9:57 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29779 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steve,
as you are probably aware, helping others, invariably helps oneself.
I am learning heaps just by trying to assist.
(albeit, envious of your ability to source such good stamps)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3539 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   12:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, this is the one that I was really looking forward to seeing in hand. Just arrived today from the APS store. The picture was a bit small, and the price was a bit high, but I thought I saw the variety, after some research. This is another third watermark, Scott 58 Specimen (ACSC 56) with a type C Specimen overprint.

The Type C overprint variety is from Column 1, which has a damaged C. However, there is also a variety noted as Sub-type 1a, with a shaved S at left.

You can see both the damaged C and shaved S here.

You may also notice the red line north of Bight. This confirms location L55.

Luckily, the Bight variety is there, otherwise it would be difficult to confirm as a sub-type 1a. Unfortunately, there is a thin in the upper left, which I would assume drastically changes the potential resale value. In my 2017 ACSC, this is valued at AUS$7500 so I'll take what I can get.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
625 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   07:45 am  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quote Rod222

"Steve,
as you are probably aware, helping others, invariably helps oneself.
I am learning heaps just by trying to assist.
(albeit, envious of your ability to source such good stamps)"

A teacher of mine would say "if you can't explain it, you don't know it".

For that reason I like to explain things in fora like this. I undertand the topic more by the time I have.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3539 Posts
Posted 06/07/2020   3:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just another one to see if it can be plated. Scott 117, ACSC 109, multiple crown C of A watermark. There is a white area above the emu's back that probably shouldn't be there. I can't locate in ACSC. Thanks for looking.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29779 Posts
Posted 06/07/2020   4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
White flaw on Emu's back 109L 8R51
However, nothing as yours, maybe a later "condition" ?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3539 Posts
Posted 06/07/2020   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rod. You do sleep over there in Australia, don't you?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29779 Posts
Posted 06/07/2020   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steve,
I felt a disc slip, last week digging the scraps in the garden.
I have been practicing sleeping on the floor, to relieve back pain.
If one wakes at 3am, one has to rise, it's working, but painful.

PS I feel I have seen that flaw beforehand, not sure on what denomination.
Edited by rod222 - 06/07/2020 5:06 pm
Valued Member
Australia
134 Posts
Posted 06/07/2020   7:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add langtounlad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Note your example has a blunt lower left corner. Did you consider 109j.

Regards
Frank
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3539 Posts
Posted 06/07/2020   9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Frank wrote:
Quote:
Note your example has a blunt lower left corner. Did you consider 109j

Here is the page from ACSC and a close-up of the same area on my stamp. Frank ... I think you got it! ACSC describes this as "lower left corner enlarged", position 8L11. I still don't know about the spot on the emu's back, but I think we found the standard variety.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29779 Posts
Posted 06/07/2020   11:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I may be getting mixed up with flaw "Saddle on Emu"

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3539 Posts
Posted 06/10/2020   10:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just arrived, Scott 54, ACSC 44(V)f. This is a Vignette Plate Variety on the 3rd watermark showing a "Ewe-faced kangaroo - State 1". It looks pretty neat up close.

There is also an odd break in the coast below the kangaroos feet, which isn't listed in ACSC.

However, the watermark is infringing in this area, so possibly just a printing anomaly.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
876 Posts
Posted 06/11/2020   12:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add finches to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Partime,

Always nice seeing additional Islands/Reefs around Australia on higher value Roos due to Inking. (imo). Your top & bottom perfs sort-of look close to stamp frame, possibly misperf'd. ?

Took me decades, on & off, to nail down the cancellation town on this 5/- 3rd w/m Roo.

Edited by finches - 06/11/2020 12:29 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3539 Posts
Posted 06/11/2020   01:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is VERY closely perfed, which could indicate someone playing around ... practicing reperfs?

Isn't yours "Free Post, Fremantle, WA"? My best guess ...
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
876 Posts
Posted 06/11/2020   01:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add finches to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Partime,

Fremantle, SPOT-ON.

I admire your disquisition ability.
Page: of 28 Previous TopicReplies: 408 / Views: 26,442Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 5.93 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05