Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Australian Oddities

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 431 / Views: 30,759Next Topic
Page: of 29
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3698 Posts
Posted 09/03/2017   7:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've decided to upgrade my Brusden White catalogs. Now I just have to wait for my bank (and wife) to agree. And, of course, figure out how to get them to the US at a reasonable price.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32199 Posts
Posted 09/03/2017   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Partime.

BW 2013 Kangaroos

Caveat: I have not read the book exhaustively.

In the 2013 ed, 50 new pages of information were added
I cannot see any Addenda, or Corrigenda pages, at first glance.

If price is an issue, construct an email requesting information on the availability of used catalogues, together with freight, and mail off to all the major Aussie dealers. Make your own luck.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1471 Posts
Posted 09/04/2017   02:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That's not our experience, Brusden White can change catalogue numbers as new flaws become known.
BW seems to have a new edition every 4 years or so.
I'll check next time my colleague visits.

Hi Rod

I don't recall BW changing their catalogue numbers (doesn't mean it doesn't happen), I do know that when new varieties of a particular catalogued stamp is found, they add a prefix number or letter to the original catalogue number.

If there is a major shade, a capital letter is placed with the catalogue number, and all shades and varieties are usually accompanied with a footnote prefix number.

But it seems they do when it comes to revising the catalogue over the years.

Rob
Edited by Rob041256 - 09/04/2017 02:30 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1471 Posts
Posted 09/04/2017   02:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've decided to upgrade my Brusden White catalogs. Now I just have to wait for my bank (and wife) to agree. And, of course, figure out how to get them to the US at a reasonable price.

Hi Steve

Depending on what book you are referring to as some have a different thickness and prices, I'll check what it will cost to send one from Australia and will email you the quotes for reference.

"I just have to wait for my bank (and wife) to agree". I know what you mean.

Rob
Edited by Rob041256 - 09/04/2017 3:04 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3698 Posts
Posted 09/04/2017   03:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the page from the 1996 catalog to show that I identified it correctly using that reference manual. But it also means that something else must have been added or deleted to get the numbering system changed ... maybe they forgot the "a" and moved everything back up a letter in later issues?
Edited by Partime - 09/04/2017 09:27 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3698 Posts
Posted 09/04/2017   09:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll check what it will cost to send one one from Australia and will email you the quotes for reference.

Rob, thanks so much.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1471 Posts
Posted 09/04/2017   3:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can't get better evidence than that, I can see why it is different, ACSC deleted an entry from the 1996 catalogue which moved the other entries one up. The deleted entry was "e. Diagonal lines left of crown". The entry "ka" now is "ja".

It now ends with 'm" and not "n"

I also noticed that even after 21 years the FDC remained at $4.00.
Edited by Rob041256 - 09/04/2017 3:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3698 Posts
Posted 09/04/2017   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I also noticed that even after 21 years the FDC remained at $4.00.

Actually, the value under the envelope symbol only signifies the estimated value of a copy on cover during the appropriate time period. The value for a FDC is actually listed under 310y (in my old book), and is for an FDC with all three values. It was valued at AUS $8.00.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1471 Posts
Posted 09/04/2017   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oops, my mistake.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3698 Posts
Posted 09/10/2017   11:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the latest oddity. Just picked up today, and identified as Scott OB45 (probably ACSC 8b). This is the variety with the small OS puncture. This one has a fault in the LL corner that I can't find in my 2013 ACSC. Does anyone with a newer copy identify it? It looks like 8p, but not quite. Thanks in advance.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
710 Posts
Posted 09/11/2017   09:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Partime, it looks like the perfin is a double punch. Either that or the paper punch had duller edges when originally punched.

ken
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3698 Posts
Posted 09/11/2017   11:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the odd perfin holes just indicate that the pins entered and left at an angle ... nothing special, though thanks for pointing that out.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3698 Posts
Posted 10/01/2017   11:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just picked up a larger group of Scott 106 (ACSC 101) just for fun. In that batch were two identical ones showing a possible variety in the upper right border. There are compartment lines throughout, but in this example, the top border is definitely cut or warped. I can't locate it in my latest ACSC.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1159 Posts
Posted 10/01/2017   7:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aussie Al to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Partime

Plate 1 position R60 state 4.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3698 Posts
Posted 10/01/2017   9:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Aussie. I found it now ... don't know how I overlooked it.
Page: of 29 Replies: 431 / Views: 30,759Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05