Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ready To Start Mounting Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 1,191Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
641 Posts
Posted 06/26/2017   08:36 am  Show Profile Check wheelman's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add wheelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I think stamps are ready to start printing pages and mounting. Could I please have some confirmation on my strategy before I start killing trees? In order to mount there will be two types of albums. Utilizing the free albums from PSS, One set of albums have no specific denomination and are based solely on towns by state with the various types of cancellations (well over 2,000 pages if all were to be printed). The second and substantially smaller album is based on states and then towns and is based on denomination with disregard for the actual type of cancellation as long as it is a precancel. Do I have that correct? Sorry for all the questions but this is getting very interesting.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
568 Posts
Posted 06/26/2017   1:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are you asking about the intent of the PSS albums you downloaded or what way you should organize them? If it's the second - here is my two cents.

There really isn't a correct answer, it's your collection and preference that is the deciding factor.

for instance... I have Bureau precancels but have woven them into my regular home brewed albums but on separate pages. These are organized by the issue and are on page by state, city and type... So when flipping through you see the series in MNH, than additional pages for individual issues in that series including a used example, blocks, FDC etc. than a separate page (pages) for bureau precancels. I do this because I collect the issues not the cancels. Others that collect the cancels probably feel differently.

But it's all the same in the end: It's about what satisfies you as the collector.

Hope this helps, unless I missed the point of your question.

No problem with asking questions...

Jeff
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
507 Posts
Posted 06/26/2017   5:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dkabq8 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do the following:

For my T&T collection I use the free pages at: http://www.precancels.com/standard-...e-below-box/
For my Bureau collection, I printed album pages from the PSS computer program (with the Bureau database) to a pdf, and then from the pdf to hard-copy.
I keep my tree killing to a minimum by only printing the pages that I have stamps for.

That said, there are other specialty precancel collection areas (e.g., classics before 1908, silent precancels, precanceled envelopes, etc.). Moreover, as jconey pointed out, many collectors have their their unique ways of organizing precancels.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 1,191Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05