Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Offset printing detection  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 06/29/2017   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add pearlriver43 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
In Paul Schmid's book on the Washington/Franklin issues he suggests using very thin metal foil (350 microinches)to distinguish between offset printing and engraved printing.

Does anyone know where to obtain this foil? The only material I can think of is material for gilding, and it is very difficult to handle.

Thanks,
Mike
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
428 Posts
Posted 06/29/2017   7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's hard to tell differences by just looking at scans, but it's much easier to learn the difference by the look. Take or get stamps that only come engraved (#331, 332, 333 DL wmk) and see if you have or can get a #525 (typically a distinctive gray green), a #528 (type Va, only comes offset), #529 or 530 (types III or IV, also only come offset, many a distinctive bright violet). Just one value with one each engraved/offset is really enough.

Put values side by side and examine with a 10x magnifier. The engraved will show the raised, sharper lines clearly. Once you get it, you can pick out offsets easily without foil or magnifier.

Or do you just want the foil?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by hy-brasil - 06/29/2017 7:55 pm
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 06/29/2017   8:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pearlriver43 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, I don't really have any other need/use for the foil. I have gold leaf for gilding, but don't think that is very practical. The other method in the book was to use magnification and oblique lighting. Hadn't tried that yet, but it almost sounded like you needed to be in a dark room, usually not convenient.

Thanks, I will round up some samples and see if I can see a difference. Thanks,

Mike
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1079 Posts
Posted 06/29/2017   9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A good 8-10x magnifier and low angle/oblique lighting make printing differences easy to identify.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 06/29/2017 9:37 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
235 Posts
Posted 06/30/2017   02:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 65170 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As I am a Brit who does not collect USA (but who is most interested in printing techniques), I am unfamiliar with the stamps being questioned. With litho being a flat printing method and engraved being raised, does anyone know why this specific series is so difficult to distinguish processes? (And I am sure that it must be hard, or this thread would not exist.) GLENN
Valued Member
United States
428 Posts
Posted 06/30/2017   03:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My thoughts:

Really not that hard with a little experience. 65170, with your interest, I'm confident that you could pick out the US offset stamps by eye, right now, and without a glass.

The US offset issues are anomalies among US stamps through the early 1970s, including the vast majority of back-of-the-book issues. There are only 15 major Scott catalog numbers of offset Washington-Franklins. They are then encountered very much less often in the oceans of cheap engraved stamps even though the group includes some very cheap stamps. There also has been no need in general to distinguish printing methods. Many US issues of the 1960s were often a combination of engraved and litho printing, but again, they only came one way, so there's no need to learn the different printing methods for them.

Several of the Washington-Franklin offsets also exist in unique types, easily misidentified despite the Scott diagrams. There are also several valuable stamps in the group that collectors may be trying to identify first before identifying the printing type -- information overload perhaps in trying to find these.

There seems to be fewer problems for worldwide collectors in the US, though offset fakes of engraved genuine stamps still fool many.

The Washington-Franklins would probably be better described as being produced by offset lithography.

EDIT: Also, online scans don't provide the education nowadays, shot flat and fully lit in a scanner and often being degraded JPEG to JPEG to JPEG copies by the time they reach a website.
Edited by hy-brasil - 06/30/2017 05:49 am
Valued Member
Netherlands
118 Posts
Posted 06/30/2017   03:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mike,

when I need to make sure, the foil I just take the thinnest they have in the supermarket, works well for me. instead of using finger I take a little fabric between finder and foil to make sure I do not damage
Pillar Of The Community
1064 Posts
Posted 06/30/2017   09:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Separating out the offset printings by sight is relatively easy with experience and material, but.....
Beginning US collectors often only have a single stamp or two and thus nothing to compare against. Far more difficult with limited knowledge and limited supply.

This makes it easier:

Or obtaining a sampler set from a dealer. Here is the small Tasco Educational Booklet published in 1940 by Tatham Stamp Co, which provides samples of the types (except 1A of course).

Edited by John Becker - 06/30/2017 09:55 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
235 Posts
Posted 07/01/2017   02:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 65170 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hy-Brasil, Many thanks for sharing your thoughts. GLENN
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  American Philatelic Society Names New Editor
  Thoughts on these four possible Jefferson UX27s?
  Other of my grills, what can you tell me about this?
  Scott Pan Pacific #398 ~ *Amazing~JUMBO* ~ MNH
  KE VII Unitrade #90viii?
  PRC Stamps from 1949 to the late 1950's.
  Argentina 1884-85 12c - Is there a roulette imperf stamp? (May be misidentified)
  Argentina 1863 5c and 10c - Help Identifying Type?
  Antigua 1863-67 1p WM Star - Help identifying color?
  Help knowing the value of some stamps.
  Would this RW2 be graded 85 or above?
  Stanley Gibbons is back in the Auction business - see link below
  eBay Saved Searches eMail Updates
  Neato 1c Franklin Combo Pair--> 3L4 & 13L4
  Busted Up 10c Combo Pair--> 74L1 & 84L1
  Interesting Bread Loaf Cover
  Difference in CV between Scott and Stanley Gibbons
  FDC hidden in old collection! Interesting Addressee!
  Found a collection of state revenues (mainly TN, some TX/WA)
  190 Proof Alcohol Not Rare
  Need help identifying a cancel on a narcotic stamp
  So is this a 594 or 596 by chance
  First of my grills, Maybe a Z grill. Help.
  Can you help identify this red cancel?

Argentina 1884-85 12c - Is there a roulette imperf stamp? (May be misidentified)
  Stanley Gibbons is back in the Auction business - see link below
  KGV overprint N. W. Pacific Islands
  Hands On Stamps
  U.S. 606 used covers
  American Philatelic Society Names New Editor
  Wet vs Dry Printed Postage Stamps
  Thoughts on these four possible Jefferson UX27s?
  An overprint, Heavy cancel, and a unknown precancel. Oh my
  KE VII Unitrade #90viii?
  Camels on stamps?
  A part perf revenue stamp that was separated by Dracula
  How much does hipstamps charge for a sale?
  1934 National Parks Series and 1935 Farley Reprints
  FDC hidden in old collection! Interesting Addressee!
  Doves as Symbols of Peace
  Railway (Train) Stations on Stamps
  Anyone Doing the Same?
  Wiki'd Buildings on Stamps
  Show Your Newly Acquired Covers Here
  King George Hidden Date
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  The Stamps of Argentina : On Steiner Pages.
  My newly acquired Clipper covers!

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.54 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05