Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Photobucket And Their Greed

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 85 / Views: 14,579Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5124 Posts
Posted 07/02/2017   6:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Seems my PB uploads here, and on other stamp boards are effected, but many others aren't.

James, my images are still up here and elsewhere but it
might have to do with the fact that I have a Plus20 account
with Photobucket which cost $29.99 USD and will be up in November 2017.
But who knows with these rogues. They might even try to extort
extra money out of paying members so these could still
link images to sites like SCF.
I have no problem paying $30USD which worked out to about
40 bucks Canadian last November but there is no way in hell
I would pay anywhere near $400.
Let them go broke, it will effect them more than it does me.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
Posted 07/02/2017   6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thestampguy1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm new to this forum, and I just ran into this problem.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2688 Posts
Posted 07/02/2017   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just ran into this problem

Not really a problem unless you have a lot of uploaded images there. As Bobby said in the original post, he has provided space for more than our needs.
Valued Member
Australia
137 Posts
Posted 07/02/2017   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add koalastamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My take on this is that the site is going to become a trainwreck unless members here who have their images hosted on PB get proactive and can update their old posts by re-uploading their images directly to SCF.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2480 Posts
Posted 07/02/2017   11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tomiseksj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't recall if I ever uploaded images here using Photobucket and, unfortunately, the forum's search function doesn't let me isolate my posts in order to find out.

All of my PB-hosted images have been blocked on other sites and I'm doing my best to replace them -- almost 700 replaced thus far but at least 1,000 more to go.

What I do know is that the blocked images can still be viewed by right-clicking on them and selecting the "Open image in another tab" option.

I believe that I was among the first to be blocked because 100% of my PB-hosted images were linked to other forums. It wasn't because I was a heavy user as I have only used 12% of my space allocation.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 07/02/2017   11:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Litho, I'm sure it's because I haven't paid them anything, and am certainly not going to now.
Koala, I too believe in being proactive but Tomiseksj says, I have probably 1000s of images here and on other sites, and I just don't have the time or inclination to track them down and re upload.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3402 Posts
Posted 07/03/2017   05:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On some forums, they have locked the threads you cannot replace them over a certain period/
Al
Forum Dad
Learn More...
USA
1778 Posts
Posted 07/03/2017   09:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
See this topic for a start to the solution.
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
Posted 07/03/2017   1:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thestampguy1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is going to blow up in their face, they're not getting a wooden nickle from me.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 07/12/2017   10:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well I've deleted all of my images from photo-crooked and cancelled my account. I would try to re-load some images here from my computer copies, but I'm not allowed to edit after 1 day. C'est la vie.
I feel like I'm in a White House press briefing.
Learn More...
United States
10537 Posts
Posted 07/13/2017   03:07 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi James,
Bobby setup a special thread for doing this http://goscf.com/t/55007. We are from the government, we are here to help you.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1414 Posts
Posted 07/13/2017   10:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,

I never understood the attraction of using Photobucket. A project to automate loading or removing images from Photobucket was scrapped because of lack of standard FTP support and a badly designed directory structure, apparently designed in the 1990s when placing too many files in one directory would crash the server. I warned one client more than five years ago that his images on Photobucket had no future.

I recall some years ago the demise of web hosting from various service providers, especially when a merger or buyout occurred and all of the URLs had to be changed to continue viewing the images, not that it mattered because response was often quite slow. I understand that Comcast dropped the service some years ago. I wonder if anyone noticed.

The bottom line: Find another site to post ad hoc images or buy a web account with a dedicated website URL. Some are quite inexpensive.
Learn More...
United States
10537 Posts
Posted 07/13/2017   10:40 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Clark,
Agreed, Photobucket was a bad solution. My opinion is that forums should not support any external image linking but c'est la vie.

This new thread http://goscf.com/t/55007 is a special forum section configured with unlimited editing time. Members that want to fix their images can ask to have the older threads moved there, then when they're done by uploading the images to SCF we will moved it back to its original location.
Don
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
Posted 07/13/2017   7:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thestampguy1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Will this fly with the public? I can see a $10 fee, but come one man!
Valued Member
United States
356 Posts
Posted 07/14/2017   5:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ekbustad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I understand that Comcast dropped the service some years ago. I wonder if anyone noticed.

I certainly did!
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 85 / Views: 14,579Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05