Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Stamps Of Tannu Tuva.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 4,283Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33615 Posts
Posted 07/08/2017   11:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rod222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Author Unknown.

Gibbons Stamp Monthly 1927

Steiner Page 2.

Originals: crackled white gum.
Reprints: Smooth gum

Send note to Staff
Edited by rod222 - 07/08/2017 11:46 pm

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33615 Posts
Posted 07/08/2017   11:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Steiner Page 17. (Air)

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33615 Posts
Posted 07/08/2017   11:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Author : BC

Valued Member
Switzerland
251 Posts
Posted 07/09/2017   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codexluminati to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like Tanu Tuva stamps, they were sold to collectors in canceled-to-order forms.
I have 2 philatelic covers.

Edited by codexluminati - 07/09/2017 6:09 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33615 Posts
Posted 07/09/2017   6:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice.
Not seen those before.
Nice Registration handstamp from Kizil (Tuvan = Red) The Centre of Asia.

Pillar Of The Community
1028 Posts
Posted 07/10/2017   8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a good example of how the romance of stamps and mysterious "far-off lands" brought so many of us into collecting stamps. You can't get much more romantic than Tannu Tuva, more correctly just "Tuva" which has always been a somewhat fake "country" that was really a republic of Russia, but is nevertheless a far-off steppe land of herders and great scenic vistas.

Its stamps were a staple of the packet trade many years ago, widely available and not so hard to find. In fact, this is an early example of the kind of stamps produced mainly for stamp collectors that became so controversial later when "sand dunes" emirates in the Persian Gulf and some African and Caribbean countries began flooding the market with colorful stamps as a money-maker. This continues today with many countries in these regions -- and with Mongolia, Tuva's neighbor. Since they were from far, far away and depicted the daily lives of unusual people the stamps of Tuva became widely known when they were issued. It was also the heyday of stamp collecting (1920s and 1930s). Despite their purpose being mainly to be sold to collectors, however, they really are beautiful and mysterious stamps.

You might know of the great CalTech scientist, Richard Feynman, whose lectures are still widely listened to and whose brilliantly witty books and make complex scientific issues a little more understandable for those of us who often have our minds boggled by science. As a child collecting stamps, Feynman fell in love with Tuva because of its stamps, and as an adult he wanted to travel there using his status as a scientist to gain entree to a region the Soviets wanted Westerners kept of for no good reason I can think of. So he tried to arrange permission to do so with the Russian government Unfortunately, he died before he could make the trip. A "Tuva or Bust" campaign was organized following his death, and some of his colleagues managed to go there.

I've always thought that Feynman's fascination with Tuvan stamps shows how much collecting stamps, even as a child, can add romance and inspiration to our lives.
Edited by DrewM - 07/10/2017 8:43 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
651 Posts
Posted 11/24/2021   1:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are several sets from Tuva on album pages I designed. Last two pages show same set, perforated and unperforated:

Pillar Of The Community
Israel
651 Posts
Posted 11/24/2021   1:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
(continuation from previous post):

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33615 Posts
Posted 11/24/2021   10:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Once again, lovely work Phil.
I committed to Black "open top" stamp mounts, when I bought 7Kg of second hand.
I really like the "Clear" and shall begin to use them when my blacks exhaust.
A majority of my France collection, is in clear.
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
651 Posts
Posted 11/25/2021   08:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod, I also started with black mounts with my first album of Kingdom of Laos and later I moved to clear mounts which I think more delicate.

An old presentation pack of the 1935 Tuvan wild animal stamps, written in English. It contains inside the complete set on a background of an animal design. On the front and the back are several photos and a short summery about the Tuvan People's Republic published in 1937 in the New York Magazine:

This pack was made by the American company "Tasco Brand Hobby Packets" as their logo on the pack indicated (very tiny). They were specialized in creating presentation packs of stamps and medals for collectors in around 1930-40's.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33615 Posts
Posted 11/25/2021   4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely ephemera Phil
I really like this sort of thing,
adds spice to the album pages.
Thanks so much for posting.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
813 Posts
Posted 11/26/2021   03:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 1934 set is beautifully drawn. But the 20 kop black stamps is brutal!
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
651 Posts
Posted 11/26/2021   06:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with you, Ringo. I sure in those days it was usual and normal to draw hunting scenes.
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
651 Posts
Posted 11/26/2021   11:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a set of 14 stamps depicting local motives, issued by Tuva in 1927, shown earlier in this thread by Rod on Steiner album page. The stamps were designed by Olga Fodorowna Amosova and were printed by State Printing Office in Moscow. Michel catalogue lists them as #15-28. Michel No. 23, 25 and 28 have two different perforations.

I will show the stamps in two parts. Here are the first seven of them:

Edited by LaoPhil - 11/26/2021 11:06 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33615 Posts
Posted 11/26/2021   5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I find the use of colour choices on these issues rather unique,
makes them immediately recognisable.
I wonder if Madame Amossova had input there?
One of the great stamp sets in my humble opinion.
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
651 Posts
Posted 11/27/2021   10:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with you, Rod. I also like very much this 1927 set with local motifs. Here is the second group of seven of them:

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 4,283Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05