Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

"Catalog Of Philatelic Miscellany"

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 3,375Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1704 Posts
Posted 07/10/2017   5:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add James Drummond to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
If you have one or more of the three parts of this catalog, you might be interested to know that an update is now available.

This update is free.

It is a 9Mb PDF document.

Just send me a message and I'll be happy to email it to you.

Jim
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
459 Posts
Posted 08/29/2017   1:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add souldjer777 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good Afternoon Jim,

I was just introduced to your catalog today. Where can I get a copy of "Catalog of Philatelic Miscellany" in PDF format? Also, with the 3 parts - what do those three parts contain? Trying to understand if I would necessarily need all three, if they were sold separately or if they come together in one bundle.

Thank you.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1704 Posts
Posted 08/29/2017   1:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

Here is a link to where you can get the books:

http://www.ericjackson.com/rSearchr...cond=&page=6

They are physical books, three-hole punched (loose leaf). They are currently not available as pdf documents.

The website has a brief description of the books' contents.

They are available individually.

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1704 Posts
Posted 04/11/2018   4:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The update kit is finally available for sale or for free download.

Link here:

http://www.ericjackson.com/rDetails...2740&this=it

Jim
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
Posted 04/11/2018   9:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sideshowbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Having recently picked up all 3 volumes, I am having a blast reading through them! They really are great fun.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1704 Posts
Posted 04/11/2018   9:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks!

I'm glad that you like them.

More books are coming.

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1704 Posts
Posted 10/04/2018   8:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's pretty flattering to an author to find that his books don't plummet in value in the second-hand marketplace.

Thanks!

Jim

https://stampauctionnetwork.com/ts/ts31722.cfm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
659 Posts
Posted 10/18/2018   08:51 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
More books are coming.

Any preview (hints) of subject matter?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1704 Posts
Posted 10/18/2018   10:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tom,

Philatelic Exhibition Labels is the next book:

...unless I get distracted and start another book in the meantime, like I did with the narcotics book.

Jim
Learn More...
United States
10439 Posts
Posted 10/18/2018   10:59 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim,
Have you considered moving away from expensive hardcopy catalogs which are out of date the minute they are printed and moving to an online publishing instead? Seems to me that a paid subscription site which gave members access to your catalogs via an online database would not only be more profitable but also allow you to keep them current and preserve them for future generations. Is not the one of the goals to distribute this information as widely as possible to attract others to these aspects of collecting and philately? Paying the incredibly high cost of hardcopy publishing just does not make sense to me unless the book run is huge. Small, costly hardcopy production runs only causes the books to be seen by far fewer eyes.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1704 Posts
Posted 10/18/2018   11:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Don,

Thank you for your comments. A couple of responses:

The books are printed on three-hole punched paper, and are intended to be put into binders by the user. The books are brought up to date by update kits, which replaces or adds to the existing pages.

The books are printed on demand, in color. There are no "small, costly hardcopy production runs." I make a little on each copy sold, Eric makes a little beyond the material and shipping costs, and the buyer gets a physical book.

This being said, at some point I may head towards an online, searchable website for the material that is in the books, or for selling of the books themselves.

My main reluctance in doing so though, is that once a book becomes a readily available pdf document, which can be easily sent electronically throughout the world, the writer of the book has pretty much lost all future income in the sale of that book.

Plus, the time and effort involved in order to administer and maintain an e-commerce site would take away from me writing about stamps and/or collecting them.

Maybe if and when I retire, but right now I have a full time job.

Thanks

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
659 Posts
Posted 10/18/2018   12:07 pm  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Call me old fashioned, but I love printed books. Of course, being in printing, I'm like NO! don't put me out of business!!!!!!
Learn More...
United States
10439 Posts
Posted 10/18/2018   12:17 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim,
Sorry, I do not buy into the 'they can copy a PDF' as a justification, anyone can copy a hardcopy book just as easily. I could buy a hardcopy of a book, scan it in a day, post the PDF on the dark web. Recording artists have the same issue with publishing their music. Their solution was to go online, not revert to selling only LP records.

Additionally you do not have publish in PDF format, you can simply provide paid subscribers access to an online database. Users could lookup and read one page at a time in a browser...no PDF needed. I suppose a user could share their password with another person, but there are ways to deal with that if desired.

But I understand, I was going to offer to help you but it sounds like you are not interested.
Don
Learn More...
United States
10439 Posts
Posted 10/18/2018   12:21 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1typesetter,
I love books too, books are great for those who want a library. Is the intent to support libraries or is the intent to share information in a way that grows interest and gets the info in front of the most eyes you can?
Don

Edit: I have a small library too. But my library is selfish, only I have access to it. There are 'one of' USA philatelic books sitting in the Royal library in England. What good are they doing there?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
659 Posts
Posted 10/18/2018   12:28 pm  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess the only answer is to offer both. Since the advent of digital on-demand printing there is no need for a huge investment in printing hundreds of books before they're sold. They can be printed one-off as they are sold.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1704 Posts
Posted 10/18/2018   8:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But I understand, I was going to offer to help you but it sounds like you are not interested.

Hi Don,

No, it's not that at all.

It's just that I know that my potential audience and/or buyer market to be very small. I am pretty sure that those collectors that are interested in the areas that I write about already have my books.

I know that I'll never see any of my books at Barnes and Noble, or on Amazon, for that matter (unless they're used maybe). They're just too specialized.

If I were to spend considerable effort in doing what you suggest, which are all good ideas for more mainstream material, then I'm fairly confident that, in the end, I'd get maybe five website visits a month, with most of them being accidental.

There's just not enough "new" stuff that is found in the areas that I deal with that warrants regular, consistent updating, whether in print or online. So a website would get quite stale.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm just being honest about how small the niche is for the things that I write about.

Jim
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 3,375Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05