Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

"Catalog Of Philatelic Miscellany"

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 3,378Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35161 Posts
Posted 10/18/2018   8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Put me on the list for the Exhibition Labels.

As No1 typesetter, I love hardcopy.
Ron LaFreniere brought out the Field guide to Canadian Cinderellas, I just love that tome, and use it frequently.
Bravo ! to you fellas.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1704 Posts
Posted 10/18/2018   8:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod,

Just to clarify, the first two parts will be just U. S. labels, with part three being foreign, just so you know.

Jim
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35161 Posts
Posted 10/18/2018   8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks James,
Interested in the US.
My major collection is US Stamp Club Labels, anything in that flavour?

As an aside, I like to support printers of Monographs, but then we get the Australian Perfin Catalogue.... $180 that is just out of my budget.
If it were $100 I would be tempted, as would others.

There must be a fine line with recouping costs, and putting material for sale that is out of reach of many.
Edited by rod222 - 10/18/2018 8:34 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5418 Posts
Posted 10/18/2018   8:32 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I viewed the forum index just now, I read the thread title as "Catalog of Philatelic Misery"... where is my mind these days?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35161 Posts
Posted 10/18/2018   8:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I've been known to attempt to switch TV channels with the Air Cond remote.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1704 Posts
Posted 10/18/2018   8:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My major collection is US Stamp Club Labels, anything in that flavour?

Rod,

Yes, that is exactly what the book is about. Just another name for them.

BTW, I have thousands of duplicates. If you want to trade, send me an email.

Jim
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35161 Posts
Posted 10/18/2018   9:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
James,
thank you.

Quote:
Just another name for them.

I am having a good day, this is good news.
I'll get back to you in the coming weeks with any trades I have.

Valued Member
United States
206 Posts
Posted 10/18/2018   10:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add adcaplan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you include any Israel labels? I have a lot of different Israel labels for the various exhibitions they have had over the years. Including many duplicates.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
752 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   1:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim - I'm wondering how your Exhibition Catalog is coming along? Also, since these are proofs, do these designs make an appearance in one of your catalogs?...

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1704 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   2:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm wondering how your Exhibition Catalog is coming along?

Hi,

Part one is almost done. Should be out in the next couple of months.

Quote:
do these designs make an appearance in one of your catalogs?

Yes, on page 42 and page 100.

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
752 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   5:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jim - sounds like S. T. Williams was "franchising" savings plans to institutions based on the design and wording of their stamp. With a little sleuthing I just found this:

Quote:
S. T. WILLIAMS, Expert Accountant and Auditor, was born at Cincinnati, Ohio, May 15, 1854, and was educated in the public schools of that city. Before his eighteenth year he held the position of account current clerk in the Third National Bank of Cincinnati. He won rapid promotion from one position to another, and at the age of twenty three, having filled the desk up to first assistant receiving teller, he resigned and engaged in the profession of accountant and auditor. In the latter connection Mr. Williams has achieved the most notable prominence and distinction in services for corporations in Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky. Five years ago Mr. Williams was appointed expert examiner for the Board of Revision of the City of Cincinnati, and during his service in this connection in the various municipal offices was paid fees closely approximating $20,000. This was the occasion of the extinction of the Board of Public Works, and the elevation of Mr. Williams to the high position he thereby gained. He was called upon to assist in adjusting the affairs of the fidelity National Bank of Cincinnati at the time of the failure of that institution, and for the past three years was employed as auditor of the Northern Assurance Company, of London, England. Mr. Williams was also employed by the Cincinnati Hamilton & Dayton Railroad in the compilation of data and in the investigation of the accounts of Henry S. Ives, the young Napoleon of Finance. For the past two years he devoted much time and attention to inventing labor-saving systems of accounts for mercantile and manufacturing concerns. His income from this source was over $30,000 the past year. Mr. Williams has recently moved to Detroit and is engaged in perfecting the Nickel Savings Stamp System, which is in use by the Citizen's Savings Bank and which he has brought to a degree of perfection beyond any previous attempt. He occupies a magnificent suite of rooms in the Hammond Building.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1704 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info and the picture. Ol' S. T. had quite a set of whiskers on him.

It looks like he sold his design to the Western Bank Note Company at some point. They then used it repeatedly in the following years, as the below examples will show.

Oddly, this design was only printed in green for some reason.

Maybe because it looked like currency?

Jim

Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 12/31/2018   04:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim, going back a bit in this thread, as I just started reading it, your reluctance on the PDF is certainly well founded, however, there is an alternative which is incredibly secure which comes from a company called Drumlin called "Javelin". Which is a wrapper to the PDF, and then makes it extremely secure. Someone can send a copy to another PC, and it simply won't work, and the online "PDF security removers" can't touch it. You might want to consider that, and then think about publishing that way. Their site is: https://www.drumlinsecurity.com/drumlin.html
On the full disclosure, I know of 1 way to "break it", but it is an extremely advanced technique and requires multiple PC's to accomplish, but it is WAY beyond the capability of most, and would improve the probability of e-publishing without much (if any) loss of future revenue.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1704 Posts
Posted 02/18/2022   1:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bumping an old topic.

I'm in the process of writing the second update kit for the Philatelic Miscellany books.

If you have one or more of these books, then I was curious if there were any other areas that you feel should also be included?

I'm open to hearing of suggestions of unusual U.S. stamps that are not presently cataloged anywhere.

Thanks,

Jim
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
199 Posts
Posted 02/18/2022   5:16 pm  Show Profile Check jomic-3139's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jomic-3139 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
WOW! What a thread! I've read every post and again can only say WOW!

Thank you Mr. Drummond for such time and dedication! I'll be visiting the site.

John

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 3,378Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05