Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stamps Stuck In Stock Book Quandary

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 3,295Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Cyprus
120 Posts
Posted 07/12/2017   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Moose to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently purchased a stock book of German stamps from a vendor on eBay only to find that many of the mint stamps, primarily those issued by West Germany were stuck in the album, and specifically the lower part of the stamp (or just a lower corner) behind the stock book's strips The earlier mint stamps, from what I have seen, are not stuck onto the stock book pages although I haven't checked all the stamps yet
So my question/s is: has anybody else had a similar experience where mint stamps got stuck on stock book pages? Is it perhaps due to the gum used on the stamps? (although I doubt it). Did the previous owner decide to 'stick' the stamps into place so they wouldn't fall out of the stock book - although one could ask why it wasn't done with the earlier stamps or could it have been due to external influences like humidity but then again, why only the modern stamps and why only the lower bits behind the strips?
And the million dollar question - can they somehow be salvaged?
In the meantime, I have contacted the vendor who said that he wasn't aware of the problem and has offered a refund.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7520 Posts
Posted 07/12/2017   4:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Moose, I believe I would take the refund. You are never going to recover all of the mint stamps with the gum even if you tried from now on. Since you got the refund offered, take it and run.

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Petert4522 - 07/12/2017 4:27 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5668 Posts
Posted 07/12/2017   4:42 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
None that I've put in stock-books myself, but I have iccasionally encountered the odd stamp that's been stuck in auction lots I've purchased. Maybe humidity - or more likely slight dampness on the hands of the original owner when he positioned the stamps, if there's no sign of foxing.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5926 Posts
Posted 07/12/2017   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would take the refund, for the reasons stated above.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4410 Posts
Posted 07/12/2017   7:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Grab the refund and don't look back.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1953 Posts
Posted 07/12/2017   9:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen this problem with even 102 cards. Seems to be caused by the plastic foil separating from the adhesive over time. With 102 cards, my guess is that the stamps can usually be salvaged however I always return them as is.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2390 Posts
Posted 07/13/2017   07:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Grab the refund.

It can just be from humidity or moisture built up over time. For some stockbooks, it can be the glue attaching the pocket strip leaking onto the stamp, like 102s mentioned above, particularly with someone shoving a stamp corner way into the pocket.
Otherwise, "What's my time worth? What are the stamps worth?" you should ask yourself first, because then it comes down to tearing apart the stockbook by removing the glassine or acetate strips, splitting the page into two sides and trying to carefully peel the page remnant from each stamp and not the other way around.
Edited by hy-brasil - 07/13/2017 07:09 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5350 Posts
Posted 07/13/2017   08:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I ran into this problem a lot . When you win large lots at public auctions this becomes a regular problem . You end up destroying the page in the stock book or destroying the stamps . If the stamps have value destroy the page ,if the stock book is nicer then destroy the stamps .
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3118 Posts
Posted 07/13/2017   10:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi; Try using a hot vaporizer like you might find in an iron and spray the vapor behind if you can.The stamps should just come off with the gum intact.Of coarse with disturbed gum!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
650 Posts
Posted 07/13/2017   10:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For my two cents - redwoodrandy offered the best advice. Take the refund and run.
Valued Member
Cyprus
120 Posts
Posted 07/13/2017   2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moose to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback, time to put the thinking cap on and start weighing the pros and cons. The older stamps which are the ones that I am after seem pretty much unaffected - the ones I've managed to check anyway. I'll need a few days to get through everything and I'll make my final decision - maybe I can wangle a deal with the vendor
Pillar Of The Community
United States
625 Posts
Posted 07/13/2017   7:31 pm  Show Profile Check kcaramat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kcaramat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can always see if the seller is willing to offer a partial refund. If he takes the lot back and describes it correctly, he will be selling it for much less. Let him know a figure that you would be willing to keep the lot for and see if he is willing.
Valued Member
United States
134 Posts
Posted 07/14/2017   12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add qaman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have had success with putting them in the freezer for a few days, I agree with Kcaramat maybe a partial refund.
Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
Posted 07/14/2017   1:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As for the refund... I guess it would depend on the amount you paid to begin with.

As for the stuck stamps. I've noticed that before too, usually on foreign (non-US) stamps from Europe and the middle east. I don't know if its a gum sensitivity thing or what. I don't usually handle non-US stamps.

For some that I ran into, I used a large sweatbox that I made a while back to separate some mint sheets. Out of 200+ stamps it seems to me that only a couple were really damaged and I'm not sure if it was my process or if they were like that to begin with as the damage was on a part of the stamp down in the flap. These were manila stock pages by the way.

I don't think anyone would intentionally "stick" them in, but the book or pages may have been exposed to a humid environment somewhere along the line.

That's my ed-u-micated-guesti-mate anyways.
Jeff
Valued Member
United Kingdom
363 Posts
Posted 04/25/2018   09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see no one else has address this question of the OP's -- 'perhaps due to the gum used on the stamps?'

The answer is yes. German stamps are notoriously sticky, especially the West German post-war commems. So any combination of humidity and pressure and they will stick up your stockbook.

You have to store mint German stamps with a great deal of care. DDR also have very sticky gum.
United States
3 Posts
Posted 05/06/2021   12:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add commercenary to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm so glad Stamp Community keeps these posts forever. I ran into a similar problem today when I received a Heritage commemorative album with multiple mint stamps adherent to glassines. It was a new problem for me, so without knowing what I was up against, and in the process of going through the stages of grief, I injured a couple of the stamps. I would like to imagine it was humidity or similar, during storage. My humane side says the seller was not aware, but I can't imagine. I think some of the glue is from the glassines themselves - I've seen a different commemorative set from USPS which appears to seal the stamps in a rubbery plastic, presumably insulating them from such problems. The bummer is, these are just nice stamps.

Plan: count the ratio that appear to be glassine-adherent, and request a reduced price (or return). Perhaps buy replacements individually?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 3,295Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05