Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

James Lee Article In Linn's On The Hobby

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 3,707Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7450 Posts
Posted 12/21/2018   6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The hobby does not need new issues in order to survive. In fact many, many collectors cut their collecting efforts off at points which are decades old. I do not see a real connection beetween philately as a whole and what the USPS currently does. In fact the vast majority of material at auction on SAN is "old" with new issue lots being thrown in at the end in box lots and selling for pennies on the dollar of cost.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2809 Posts
Posted 12/21/2018   10:21 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I started with new issues. No new issues and I probably never would have started.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
858 Posts
Posted 12/29/2018   01:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I inherited a collection from my grandfather (around 1970 to 1975 - it was sitting in a closet for many years) that died in 1964. I was hooked on sight. After the USPS started making PB's that were the entire side of a sheet, I stopped collecting new issues and limited my collection to pre-1964. I was a kid, and could not afford to buy all those stamps. A PB of 4 plus a single was doable, but a strip of 20 plus a single, at a time when their # of issues was going up each year (well, it SEEMED that way, I don't know if it was actually true), and at a time when they were coming up with 50-design issues (2 full sheets - one for the PB collection, and one for the singles collection), a new issue collection was simply not feasible. The USPS killed the Golden Goose in Mootermutt.

I have since given up these collections and have specialized in a few different fields: 1847's, 3c 1851's, and Xmas Seals. Lots of people start out collecting generally, then focus their energies and budgets. The trick is to get them started AND have the interest level at least compete with all the other pastimes that are available to kids these days. I was hooked before video games were invented. I play video games, but I ALWAYS go back to my stamps! If one is hooked on video games first (or so many of the other newfangled things available these days), one will probably NOT see stamps as their primary hobby.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 12/29/2018   07:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that what you think about the hobby depends on whether you place more emphasis on the stamps themselves or people. This forum is an example of the importance of people with a general common interest comparing life stories methods of approaching the hobby etc. it would be the same with any other hobby or interest: sports, literature, art, fishing, or even one's profession. My profession is medicine. There has been a literal explosion in the science over the last 4 decades that I have been practicing; that in itself is intellectually stimulating and challenging. But it is carried to a whole different level when you bring patients into the equation. I guess what I am trying to say that I have always enjoyed stamps for their beauty, artistry and what they have told me about history, geography and culture, but that interest is magnified and enhanced by the human touch and the trading of shared experiences on forums such as this.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 3,707Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05