Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Richmond, VA Stamp Show  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

6 Posts
Posted 07/16/2017   8:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add boredguano to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
Hello friends. I want to go to the stamp show in Richmond, VA in August. This will be my 1st time at one. Just wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect. Are there any exhibits or talks that I shouldn't miss? Would I be able to p/u a set of used Scott Catalogs for cheap?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4628 Posts
Posted 07/16/2017   9:13 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi bored. One of the best pieces of advice I can give you is to join a local stamp club if that is an option. There is nothing like getting together with a bunch of folks who are exited about a pile of little pieces of paper. And I am talking from experience, my first encounter with stamps was at a monthly meeting at a backroom in a Dutch Reformed Church in a small town in the Netherlands, not too long after the end of WWII.
By the way, in my opinion the best place to find cheap Scott's would be eBay. Or maybe your local library when they buy a new one.

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Petert4522 - 07/16/2017 9:16 pm
Valued Member
United States
484 Posts
Posted 07/16/2017   10:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add centerstage98 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum.

There is lots to see and do at StampShow with dozens of seminars and presentations, exhibits, special exhibits, dealers, etc. If you are a beginner are relative beginner, there are talks and presentations designed just for you.

Page 710 of the July edition of The American Philatelist has a basic rundown of the show. The mag is available online this month for everyone - even non-members - http://blog.stamps.org/2017/06/30/c...0-july-2017/

The StampShow section of the APS web page will fill up more and more as we get closer to the show with lost of info. https://stamps.org/STAMPSHOW-SS

At the show, there will be a full 100-page program with a lot of info.

and here is a blog post that might help ... https://blog.stamps.org/2017/01/24/...-stamp-show/

good luck and have fun

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1052 Posts
Posted 07/17/2017   07:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You occasionally may see dealers with used catalogues. It is best to get off eBay.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
1124 Posts
Posted 07/17/2017   07:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I only started going to stamp shows about three years ago. Without knowing what exhibits will be shown, I recommend you at least take a glance at all of them. That's what I do. Those that pique my interest, I slow down and start paying close attention to each frame. I think getting someone else's "must see" recommendation could cause you to miss something that might appeal to you, but not to that someone else. Another approach would just to stroll through them all at first, making a note of the ones you want to look at more carefully.

As for used catalogs, I have always bought mine via Amazon rather than eBay. But sometimes you can find a better deal on eBay. It just depends, so it might pay to check them both. FWIW I only by the U.S. Specialized Catalog so my experience is limited to that.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
201 Posts
Posted 07/17/2017   08:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wheelman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have found Betterworldbooks to be the best place for Scott catalogs. They are a consolidation point for public libraries. You should be able to buy a complete, albeit one at a time, one or two year old set for under $100. Some of mine look like new except for the Library numbers on the binder.
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
Posted 07/17/2017   09:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The APS does not have a list of the exhibits on their web site, but they do have a list of the meetings scheduled. If there is a talk that your are interested in, but are not a member of the society go anyway. The societies are always welcoming. Here is the link to a PDF with the meetings:
https://stamps.org/userfiles/file/s...Schedule.pdf
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2885 Posts
Posted 07/17/2017   11:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome BORED , If you go to the Stamp show make it a point to sit in on the stamp auction there. Even if your not bidding ,find a section that interest you and try to attend it. Ask the person with the firm the approximate time for the section to come up for bid .
Sit with a copy of the auction catalog and a pen to record prices . Learn to listen to the fast pace of a auction and understand the flow in the room between the auctioneer and bidders . You will learn how everybody inter-plays between Agents sitting up front with the phone bidders staff and how a floor bidders all determine the finally price . It will take you a hour or so to get the feel and flow ,so that later you can feel comfortable in any future bidding you enter into .
The stamp auction room could be the most exciting part of any stamp show ,don't miss it .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
659 Posts
Posted 07/17/2017   2:56 pm  Show Profile Check Philatarium's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you're able to attend on the first day of the show, I think it *is* possible to find a set of used Scotts, or, at the worst, several volumes of a set. You just never know. Typically, it's a dealer who has upgraded his or her own set, but occasionally catalogs end up showing up with a collection that the dealer has acquired.

Things like that often tend to get snapped up quickly, so I think the first thing I would do is make the rounds of the dealer tables and see if any are being offered for sale. (My guess is that it would most likely be a dealer who is within driving distance of the show.)

The other suggestions for where to find a used set are all good. The advantage, if you could find them at the show, is being able to inspect them for condition and, of course, not having to pay shipping.

- - - - -

On to your other questions: I think there is often an adult beginner's class at the APS show. (Or at least, there used to be. I haven't been in a couple of years.) So do be sure to check out the show schedule, with an eye to the APS offerings.

Finally, and this is clearly just my opinion (as is everything I've written here), I think the APS summer show is the best stamp show in the country. It presents philately in the best light and a hobby to be proud of. (You'll be amazed at the number of specialties and specialty societies out there, too.) Most people are friendly, though please don't be put off if you encounter one who isn't.

If you live in that area, it may be that your local stamp club has a presence there, too, and you could chat with them about your particular situation. (Some local clubs are really good about welcoming newcomers, and some, to be perfectly honest, sadly do not seem interested.)

Don't get me wrong -- there are some great regional and local shows out there, too. But I think the APS are done very, very well. And it's great that you'll be able to attend!
Complete MNH sets of Trucial States (& more) on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/the.philatarium/m.html

Japan, Korea, Swiss booklets & more on HipStamp: https://www.hipstamp.com/store/the-...sort=catalog

member: American Philatelic Society, Int'l Society for Japanese Philately, & others
Pillar Of The Community
United States
659 Posts
Posted 07/17/2017   2:58 pm  Show Profile Check Philatarium's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And if you can't find a set of Scotts there, it may be that the largest branch of your local library has them. If they do, typically, the most recent set is in reference and doesn't circulate, but then they make the older sets available to be checked out. That might be a good way to get started if you don't have any luck with that at the show.
Complete MNH sets of Trucial States (& more) on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/the.philatarium/m.html

Japan, Korea, Swiss booklets & more on HipStamp: https://www.hipstamp.com/store/the-...sort=catalog

member: American Philatelic Society, Int'l Society for Japanese Philately, & others
Valued Member
United States
243 Posts
Posted 07/18/2017   5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Yirmeyahu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will second Petert's suggestion to join a local stamp club. I just did last week and now I wonder what took me so long? Best decision I ever made to get more enjoyment out of philately and meet new people who share my passion for stamps.
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
Posted 07/18/2017   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ScottEnglish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We hope you will join us at the StampShow in Richmond. Make sure to get a program, each dealer is listed with their specialities and you will see a large list of specialty societies, and I suspect you will find a few that share your interests. It really does help you make the most of the time you have there.

Please stop by the APS Booth - our staff will be on hand to answer questions, not only about the APS, but the show in general. The APS Circuit Sales will have items to look at and buy while you are there and our Young Philatelic Leaders Fellowship booth will also be selling covers for $.25 and have some other great material that support our education programs. We have volunteers who staff the Stamp Buddy booth and are able and willing to help newcomers to the show get familiar with the settings and help get you acquainted with the bourse and programs.

We have First Day ceremonies planned with the U.S. Postal Service on Thursday, United Nations on Friday and the Marshall Islands on Saturday. Those are always well attended and very social events with people who love to share with collectors.

Our host chapter, the Greater Richmond Stamp Club will have a booth and it is an excellent club - I have been a member since 2016. We have representatives from many of the Virginia-area clubs at the show, so no matter where you live in the state, you'll meet a collector from nearby.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong -- there are some great regional and local shows out there, too. But I think the APS are done very, very well. And it's great that you'll be able to attend!

Thank you for the kind words! Our staff and volunteers are the heart of making this show a success. It's a total team effort and we are fortunate to get support from all over the country.

Quote:
I will second Petert's suggestion to join a local stamp club. I just did last week and now I wonder what took me so long? Best decision I ever made to get more enjoyment out of philately and meet new people who share my passion for stamps.

We have some excellent stamp clubs around the country. I've had the honor to be a guest at nearly 40 in the past 18 months and have joined every one. They vary in what activities they support and offer to members, but most welcome new members and new ideas if you're willing and able to help make them a reality. We do offer a list of clubs near you on the website at: https://stamps.org/Local-Clubs

If you have any questions, please feel free to post here or contact me directly at scott@stamps.org.

Hope to see you at the show!

Scott English, APS Executive Director

Valued Member
6 Posts
Posted 07/18/2017   6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add boredguano to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the excellent information.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2885 Posts
Posted 07/21/2017   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am really surprised how little the people here put in the knowledge and learning experience of a public stamp auction . I sat thru many auctions just to update my education ....how items are described and offered for sale, how bidding is handled and who won, how buyers act .
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Scott US 114 lifted from old album
  Something's not quite right about this narcotic stamp image
  Anyone Doing the Same?
  Scott Page Protectors for Lighthouse Pages
  Sc. 632 and 633 design vs. Nebr. and Kans. versions and Sc. 571 sizes
  Assistance required Identifying this Franklin 1 Cent
  Color Date Change Over
  Measuring Germany Mi 154 for fault?
  How would I start / continue to identify this 10 cent Jefferson?
  High quality scanner?
  Future Scott Catalogues
  What's going on with eBay? Width of stamps
  Italian Post Turkish Empire 1922 question
  U.S Fancy Cancels Help Needed
  China commemoratives for radio telescope
  Five Cent Beaver Leaping Fish Variety
  Austrian Cinderellas
  Beautiful cinderella from the British Esperanto Association
  UX38 uncut sheet of four
  Unknown Finnish stamp
  Someone told me my description is wrong
  The oldest known precancel
  Show Your Newly Acquired Covers Here
  Outbound Bill of Exchange from U.S. to Mexico
  If you think "More is better" check out this auction

Wiki'd Buildings on Stamps
  Sc. 632 and 633 design vs. Nebr. and Kans. versions and Sc. 571 sizes
  Show us SNOW on stamps!
  Dave's (Oldtriguy1960) Canada Air Post Official wants
  UX38 uncut sheet of four
  How would I start / continue to identify this 10 cent Jefferson?
  Scott US 114 lifted from old album
  China commemoratives for radio telescope
  Scott Page Protectors for Lighthouse Pages
  Future Scott Catalogues
  Show us HOT AIR BALLOONS!
  Something's not quite right about this narcotic stamp image
  Baseball Topical Stamps
  Massive Cinderella Lots up for auction
  Anyone Doing the Same?
  Assistance required Identifying this Franklin 1 Cent
  1934 National Parks Series and 1935 Farley Reprints
  Morocco "Gloss Proofs"
  My newly acquired Clipper covers!
  275 "Did You Know?" Facts about Postage Stamps
  Color Date Change Over
  What's going on with eBay? Width of stamps
  Scott 709 - - oddity
  10 Red Cloud (Scott 2175)
  Trade Mail For covers

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.79 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05