Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Air : On Steiner Pages.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 67 / Views: 12,300Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
916 Posts
Posted 08/07/2017   06:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your kind words Basil, I only discovered that one a few hours ago, I think it may be pretty valuable as it is as there are no more covers prior to this one I believe! So it is the first time the stamps were used.... You're right, pity it wasn't a flown cover!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34055 Posts
Posted 08/07/2017   07:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Nice find Lawrence.......
Valuable I should think with the concordance of the letter.

Australian Stamp Monthly, October 1977

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
916 Posts
Posted 08/07/2017   07:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now I would love a lindburgh flown cover and a 24c jenny like Basils!
Edited by Laurie 02 - 08/07/2017 07:43 am
Pillar Of The Community
1426 Posts
Posted 08/07/2017   08:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, Lindbergh flown covers are pretty common. I have several. Rather than post them in this thread, I think I will start a new one dedicated specifically to Lindbergh covers. First day covers for C3 (chronologically the first US Airmail stamp) are naturally less common, and will be quite a bit more expensive to acquire. Here's another one, with a twist:

At some point the stamp came off or was removed from this cover. But it is still of interest because of the cancellation. As noted earlier, when the mail that left Washington on the 15th was brought back to Washington it was flown out the next day. As the story is told in the American Air Mail Catalogue:

Quote:
This mail and 1,330 other pieces which were picked up from the special red, white and blue letter boxes after the regular air-mail collection was flown on May 16th by Lt. J. C. Edgerton to Philadelphia. These additional pieces were cancelled May 16, 1918 and some have "9 A.M." or "10 A.M. 1918" in the handstamped cancellation; perhaps a dozen or more are known with "May 16 - First Trip" in the cancellation.

So this is one of those "dozen or more" with the "May 16 - First Trip" in the cancellation. Too bad about the missing stamp, but still a notable piece.

Basil
Edited by blcjr - 08/07/2017 08:07 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
916 Posts
Posted 08/07/2017   08:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice historical cover Basil
I'll be looking out for your lindburgh thread!
So the stamp off this cover would have been a jenny?
Pillar Of The Community
1426 Posts
Posted 08/07/2017   09:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It was most likely a Jenny. I'm not up on classic US stamps enough to know if there was a 21c stamp that could have been used to come up with the 24c to meet the airmail rate.

Lindbergh covers here:

http://goscf.com/t/55537
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34055 Posts
Posted 08/08/2017   6:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Fly to the convention.
Flagship
American Airlines Inc.

Suggestion: This was incredibly lucky to survive, gummed children's label, included with Breakfast Cereal packets. "Wheaties"

Fly Capital Airlines. (Constellation)

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34055 Posts
Posted 08/08/2017   7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

A.C.Roessler Zeppelin.

Key West-Havana First Flight.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34055 Posts
Posted 08/08/2017   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Henry Ohye Trophy Race
(Preliminary Draft, not mounted as yet)

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
916 Posts
Posted 08/08/2017   7:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
lovely Rod! are they your pages?
I'm trying to do something similar with the clipper covers I have
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34055 Posts
Posted 08/08/2017   10:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Lawrence,
yes, my pages, alas! I cannot remember how I did it.

I have a really easy Page creator, I can whip up a Steiner Page in a few seconds,
but it is so "lite" it has no option to add text,
you may see in other pages I cut and physically paste the text onto the page.

Here I have included the text, and forget how I did it, it was really messy if I recall.

I'll have a play around, and if I crack it, I'll email you.

Postmaster at germanstamps.net has a page creator, I havn't tried it as yet,
I am really clumsy with IT. A bit afraid to use new software.

Edited by rod222 - 08/08/2017 10:42 pm
Pillar Of The Community
1426 Posts
Posted 08/09/2017   09:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

Here is what I wrote up on the Key West - Havana flight:

Adds some more background focusing on Hap Arnold's role in the formation of Pan Am.

Basil
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34055 Posts
Posted 08/09/2017   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cheers Basil,
interesting, also learning your "Americanisms"
Hap = Harley and "float plane"

Pillar Of The Community
1426 Posts
Posted 08/09/2017   7:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hap didn't really substitute for Harley. It was a nickname given to him because he seemed to have a perpetual smile, as if always happy. Hence "Hap." But like so many "dominant personalities" he could get angry when it was called for, and had the reputation of being someone you didn't ever want mad at you. There's a page in my exhibit about "The Battle of Kansas" which refers to a trip he made to the Boeing facilities to inspect the progress of the roll out of B-29's. They were way behind schedule, and he went ballistic. Pulled people off of other production lines, and gave the B-29 a hard deadline to have planes ready. It was winter, the work was brutal, but the story is that they got the job done because nobody wanted to experience Arnold's wrath if they failed. But if you look at enough pictures of him, you will see why he is described as always smiling. Chris Calle captures it in the design he did for the Hap Arnold Great Americans stamp:

Incidentally, if you look at my avatar, the 20 cent parcel post stamp, Arnold is supposed to be flying the Wright-Burgess flyer in the painting for the stamp.

Basil
Edited by blcjr - 08/09/2017 7:16 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34055 Posts
Posted 08/13/2017   9:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks for that Basil.
It was years before I learnt the story behind your Avatar,
the beacons for night flying.

Pan Am Clipper Cargo Ephemera:

"Hurry up ! This is for the Air Corps" Etiquette
CV eBay $6 inc ship.

Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 67 / Views: 12,300Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05