Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Just Had To Buy This Stamp.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 3,098Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1657 Posts
Posted 07/24/2017   1:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add James Drummond to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Bet you can't guess why.

Jim

p.s. I doubt that this type of synchronicity happens that often. Does anyone else have an example?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
701 Posts
Posted 07/24/2017   1:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Relative or pure coincidence
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1449 Posts
Posted 07/24/2017   2:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Renden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice....tell us a little bit about this Stamp.....
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1507 Posts
Posted 07/24/2017   2:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent. The closest I've come is 19th century covers postmarked Palermo (Sicily), which are easy to find. The gem of the group is addressed to Giuseppe Verdi.
Valued Member
United States
189 Posts
Posted 07/24/2017   2:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Richard Frajola to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cjpalermo - That is a well known correspondence from the 1860s. However, you will discover if you research that it is not addressed to the famous person named Giuseppe Verdi. Sorry.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1657 Posts
Posted 07/24/2017   2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know the purpose of the cancel or overprint. Clearly it's British though.

I doubt that I am related to this nineteenth century firm, but maybe one day I'll do some research on it.

My wife also insisted that I buy this stamp, as a modest tribute to our miscarried child, who we believe would have been a boy.

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1507 Posts
Posted 07/24/2017   2:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mr. Frajola, thank you. The historical evidence was ambiguous about whether the composer was in Sicily at the time, so I intentionally left off "composer" in the post above. It's helpful to have your expertise. Fortunately the cover is attractive, so it's not going anywhere, and I will now responsibly identify it to prevent any misrepresentation in a future sale.
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1694 Posts
Posted 07/24/2017   3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
..."tell us a little bit about this Stamp"
An 1881 Queen Victoria 1d lilac. Imperial Crown watermark. Die 2 with the 16 dots in the corners (Die 1 has 14).
33.6 billion (33,600,000,000) stamps of Die 2 were printed (only 0.5 billion of the Die1 )
This stamp was the first (and only) stamp to have POSTAGE AND INLAND REVENUE on it... all the following stamps omit the INLAND.
This stamp was overprinted for revenue purposes thus making it unusable for postage. Great overprint design.Very collectable.Interestingly, it had the "18" printed also so would be unusable for revenue purposes on a document at the turn of the century. Would be worth looking for a Drummond and Sons design with a "19"
Edited by scotzm - 07/24/2017 3:51 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2455 Posts
Posted 07/24/2017   4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like the "18" printed for the year date to be filled in. So now, is there another version with "19" printed? Is this or something similar on other values, too, since I'm guessing this should be a fairly large firm to overprint their stamps like this?

I've seen printed private overprints even on Elizabethan definitives. The printing was supposed to invalidate them for postage, so employees couldn't steal them for their own Xmas cards, for example. These apparently were used to pay tax on receipts specifically.
See: http://www.underprints.com/Philatel...erprints.htm
But yours isn't here, I think because the study of these is still a work in progress. Rats.
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 07/24/2017   10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know the feeling James - I just had to buy this:

BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 07/24/2017   10:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Closest I've ever come is a cover I found on eBay, posted by my Uncle Harry in 1959. He was a cartoonist and my mother's baby brother.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1180 Posts
Posted 07/25/2017   12:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Esperanto and other international auxiliary languages are my main topical focus, but this Cinderella had added appeal for me, because my first name is Arden.

Edited by erilaz - 07/25/2017 12:49 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2009 Posts
Posted 07/25/2017   7:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Closest I could get would be maybe to match my last name only with two or three others who have been portrayed on stamps of various countries.

Quote:
it is not addressed to the famous person named Giuseppe Verdi.

"Giuseppe Verdi" is the Italian equivalent of "Joe Green", so I wouldn't be too surprised to find out there were a few of them around.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1180 Posts
Posted 07/28/2017   11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Joe Green! That's absolutely correct, but it cracks me up nonetheless!

I don't have any postcards addressed to Giuseppe Verdi, but I do have one addressed to a Giuseppe who is famous in some circles, namely Giuseppe Peano. Peano (1858-1932) was a noted mathematician and the inventor of an international auxiliary language called Latino sine flexione, a.k.a. Interlingua.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1027 Posts
Posted 07/29/2017   3:06 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
James-- what a cool post...thanks for starting this one!

A couple of years back, I don't collect Locals, but I had to buy this one...and they even spell McIntire the right way!! With my handle here as ray.mac, you can probably tell what my last name is now:

Thanks again, Ray
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1039 Posts
Posted 07/29/2017   3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two post to follow:

1 - here's another Joe Green cover:

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 3,098Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05