Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Stamps Of Sharjah :

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 4,050Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
977 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   03:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Outremer01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sharjah
28th January 1964
Space Research

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
977 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   04:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Outremer01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sharjah
3rd March 1964
Summer Olympics, Tokyo

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29698 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   04:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When one of the 7 dwarves went missing...
everyone began to look at Hungry.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29698 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   05:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rahotep and Nofret.

Valued Member
Belarus
88 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   07:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vicaf60 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My five cents

Valued Member
Belarus
88 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   07:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vicaf60 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29698 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mi#73

Mi#1270-1275
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29698 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   10:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

My Garden, inundated this year with 1000's of predators, but I love 'em !
My native Frangipanis, were covered in them,
as were my callistamons.

The lovely "Ladybird"

Don't be fooled by its cute spots, this beetle is a predator from day one, but it is exactly the sort of predator a garden needs.
Science communicator Shasta Henry said there were only benefits to ladybirds, which acted as a natural pesticide.
"They are predatory in both stages of life," she said.
Ms Henry said ladybirds had almost the same life cycle as butterflies, including a caterpillar stage.
During the caterpillar and adult stage they eat aphids and other garden pests.
"The stuff they'll be preying on are the small, soft insect pests," she said.
Due to their size, which ranges from 1 mm to 10 mm, they did not prey upon other beneficial insects.

Valued Member
United States
94 Posts
Posted 06/04/2020   07:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ham and Egger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sharjah, or any other 'Dune State' for that matter with a legit cancel , or with a real postmark?
Valued Member
United States
94 Posts
Posted 06/04/2020   08:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ham and Egger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry about that first reply. Now to the matter at hand. My back story first, After my farther passing I was relegated to assess and prepare his rather large collection of world stamps and FDI's for auction and sale. His love of space,science and aviation where his choice of topics. Now in your post you speak of the (Dune States) which for a period of time stumped me as of there origin. But local collectors and forums like this have helped me get a better grasp on this matter. So the question of legit cancels and of postage use was asked by Jamesw to Rod222 and SCB answered the question some time ago.Now this is the question I pose to the experts in this field. In my possession are seval FDI's that appear to be CTO's with no received cancel on the back of the cover. Other where serviced by the Belham Exchange and a third group addressed to a gentleman for L.I. New York sent register/Air-Mail with received cancels on the back of the covers. Any input from the Experts in this field is of course appreciated.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29698 Posts
Posted 06/04/2020   08:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I shy away from commenting on Trucial States stamps,
there are always squabbles regarding their use.
Most of early Sharjah went through Dubai.

Yours are different being Ajman/Manama and Umm al Qiwain
I like your covers a lot, smashing stuff,
but will let others comment.

My only advice would be to try and source "The Arab World Philatelist" bulletins, they often have the answers you seek.

Edited by rod222 - 06/04/2020 09:02 am
Valued Member
United States
94 Posts
Posted 06/04/2020   09:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ham and Egger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Rod222, I have examples from all of the Dune States serviced through The Belham Exchange. This is the individual self addressed cover I spoke of.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4708 Posts
Posted 06/04/2020   11:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I got a few of those ......yea I would say maybe 150,000 Sand dunes ....maybe over 200,000 . Mine are all in those bricks wrapped up in wax paper interleaves and bundled into bricks or pads .

The story is The American Philatelic Society got them as a donation about 80 lbs. of Sand dunes . The APS gave them to Regency Stamp Auctions to sell this was a charity auction with no fee charged by David K. of Regency basicly he was selling for APS without a commission to him for the APS .

They came up for auction and didn't sell , like who would want 200,000 sand dunes . David lowered the price but still didn't sell , then he asked for any bid . They still would not sell . David said he didn't want to ship them back to the APS .
David Kohls turn to me and said during the auction ,can you bid and I reply since it was a donation to the APS ,I will take it at the old opening bid price for my Asphalt business ,took a tax deduction and they sat at my warehouse for three years then took them to Florida for the past 6 years ,still can't figure out what to do with them .[pictures to follow ]
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4708 Posts
Posted 06/04/2020   11:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29698 Posts
Posted 06/04/2020   7:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ham and Egger,
"Philately begins where the catalogue ends"
So it is now in your hands, you can research, chase up information on your covers, and see what transpires.
Please post if you do this, I for one, would like to hear the result on your covers.

What Philately teaches:
As you can see by Floortrader's example, the people behind these stamps, are humans suffering from Greed and Avarice.

Greed is an uncontrolled longing for increase in the acquisition or use: of material gain; or social value, such as status, or power. Greed has been identified as an undesirable behavior throughout known human history.

This should not affect what you personally like to collect or study
just know it exists.
Probably a good idea to drop the slang "Dune" stamps also.
The trucial stamps can be a scholarship of itself.

Fleecing the collector is not only reserved for this geographical area,
it is world wide, Australia is guilty also.

A snippet from Yemen.............

Edited by rod222 - 06/04/2020 7:55 pm
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 4,050Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05