Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your "First Flight Covers" And "Airport Dedications" Here!

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
625 Posts
Posted 08/10/2017   8:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Back into it!
Another Atlanta- Miami

L.A. to San Diego

And first day of sale for the C12 Violet stamp

and it had a back seal!

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Laurie 02 - 08/10/2017 8:31 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
837 Posts
Posted 08/11/2017   07:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The 5c beacon is one of my favorite US stamps. If it were not for my interest in Hap Arnold, I'd probably use the beacon stamp as my avatar instead of the 20 cent parcel post stamp.

Basil:

What is the connection between the 20c PP stamp and Hap Arnold?

Thanks.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
1322 Posts
Posted 08/11/2017   09:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,

Hap Arnold was trained to fly by the Wright brothers in 1911, along with Thomas Milling, both Lieutenants in the U.S. Army Signal Corp, which was the branch of the Army that was first to show an interest in aviation. After they solo'd, they were assigned to a Signal Corp unit at College Park, MD, to train other army officers. The stamp itself shows a Wright flyer in a scene over College Park, MD. The photograph that was used to create the image was actually of a "Aeroplane at rest," supposedly with an unknown pilot at the controls. Arnold was setting aviation records flying a Wright-Burgess flyer at the time, and a legend arose that he was the pilot sitting in the aircraft when the picture was taken. No one really knows for sure, but it is quite possible. The Arnold family, of course, subscribes to the legend, and considers the stamp as depicting Arnold flying his Wright-Burgess flyer over College Park.

The background is somewhat covered in "U.S. Parcel Post -- A Postal History" by Henry M. Gobie.

Here, though, is a "for real" photograph of a grinning Hap Arnold coming in for a landing in his Wright-Burgess flyer at College Park:

Basil
Pillar Of The Community
1322 Posts
Posted 08/11/2017   09:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a CAM 9 first flight cover for your viewing pleasure:

Fantastic doodling!

Basil
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
625 Posts
Posted 08/11/2017   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty nice cover Basil... Could there be enough home drawn covers around to start a thread? I have
A couple from the 19th century
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
625 Posts
Posted 08/11/2017   8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
some more first flights for you

1930 3rd anniversary of Lindbergh's goodwill tour.

First Airmail from San Diego.

another San Diego with Cachet and Autographed by pilot and postmaster.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
837 Posts
Posted 08/12/2017   1:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hap Arnold was trained to fly by the Wright brothers in 1911, along with Thomas Milling, both Lieutenants in the U.S. Army Signal Corp, which was the branch of the Army that was first to show an interest in aviation. After they solo'd, they were assigned to a Signal Corp unit at College Park, MD, to train other army officers. The stamp itself shows a Wright flyer in a scene over College Park, MD. The photograph that was used to create the image was actually of a "Aeroplane at rest," supposedly with an unknown pilot at the controls. Arnold was setting aviation records flying a Wright-Burgess flyer at the time, and a legend arose that he was the pilot sitting in the aircraft when the picture was taken. No one really knows for sure, but it is quite possible. The Arnold family, of course, subscribes to the legend, and considers the stamp as depicting Arnold flying his Wright-Burgess flyer over College Park.

Thanks, Basil. Interesting story.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1154 Posts
Posted 08/13/2017   01:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my entries for this category.

I understand that last cover is not strictly speaking a "first flight" cover, but I felt some might like to see it.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
625 Posts
Posted 08/13/2017   04:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Covers stampman and thank you for contributing!

Love the FAM 19 and 22 covers, and the demo flight for the flying post office is fabbo!

Cheers
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
625 Posts
Posted 08/13/2017   7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
a few more flight covers

1932 El Centro

I thought this was an interesting cover of joint Review and the note at the bottom "welcome Amelia Earhart"

And first day of flight for this stamp!

and a lovely back cancel
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
625 Posts
Posted 08/15/2017   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
3 first day covers for the Special Delivery Airmail stamps
I think they would fit in here!

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
625 Posts
Posted 08/15/2017   8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And I Like this one too!
A bit toned but a nice cover I think.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1136 Posts
Posted 11/11/2019   1:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Three nice and new to me First Flight Covers:

Too bad the Michener signature is not from the literary Michener.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
912 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a couple from 1926. These both have oversized dial cancels - OR they may be circular cachets. In which case, someone used a cachet to cancel the Philadelphia to Norfolk cover. Was that legit?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
912 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Laurie, that B-19 cover is quite interesting! I had to do some Googling because I had never heard of it. It was essentially the military Spruce Goose -- only one was ever built. First flight was in 1941 and it was decommissioned in 1946 and later scrapped. That would have been something to see fly!

Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05