Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your "First Flight Covers" And "Airport Dedications" Here!

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1667 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   5:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Greg,

That thing is huge. It has twice the wingspan of a B-17.

Jack kelley
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   11:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for bumping this topic. It is the first time I have looked at the thread.

Laurie 02, I saw your B-19 cover and it brought back memories. Somewhere along the way I collected a very similar cover to yours.

I lived in Corona CA at the beginning of WW2, and had the privilege of watching the B-19 fly directly overhead on this maiden flight from March AFB to Clover Field. My dad told me it was the largest plane in the world. I was 3 days shy of 5 years old, and we stood in the alley between our house and my grandparents house watching for it. We were directly under the flight path and I can still see the image in my mind very clearly.

Thanks for the memories (with respect to Bob Hope).

Edited by gslaten - 11/14/2019 11:31 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
625 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   12:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcome GSlaten I enjoyed reading your short story and envy you!
In Australia we had a air Force barracks at Laverton and I saw Gloster meteors and a twin tail Vampire fly out of there regularly. It filled me with awe and wonder.
Cheers and keep the covers and wonderful stories coming!
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
625 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   12:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Greg, Thanks mate for the pic and write up it is a huge thing indeed I wonder how it would compare to a B 29 Superfortress!
Valued Member
66 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aviatik to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I posted this earlier in the souvenir thread but its really both a cover and a foldout. It could probably go in the advertising cover thread as well.
Valued Member
66 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aviatik to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
66 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   4:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aviatik to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Sorry this bottom one is so faded. You'd think they would re-ink the pad for such a momentous event.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
625 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmmm I'm inspired to dig out more!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2284 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the Oct 24 1959 airport dedication of Murry Field in Eureka California with a nice cachet by the Ferndale Stamp and Hobby club.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
625 Posts
Posted 11/16/2019   02:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great cover Phil
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
625 Posts
Posted 11/16/2019   02:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've put these up before but in a different now defunct thread so I will re-put them up!
Clipper covers!

And

And
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
Posted 11/17/2019   12:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dale Kramer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1136 Posts
Posted 11/18/2019   4:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

From Wikipedia:
"Essair (short for Efficiency, Safety, and Speed in the Air[1]) was incorporated in 1939, the first airline authorized by the federal Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB) to fly as a "local service air carrier in the United States".
Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1311 Posts
Posted 11/18/2019   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1946 service to San Luis Obispo, CA. From the 1850s, it was geographically isolated by mountains, rolling plains and ocean, and depended on steamships and stagecoaches for mail. Narrow-gauge rail RPO service ran from 1875 to 1934, terminating at Los Olivos with a stage connection south to Santa Barbara. The Southern Pacific arrived in the 1880s.

Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   12:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some miscellaneous first flight covers that I find interesting. They are from a large accumulation I bought at auction many years ago.

Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05