Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your "First Flight Covers" And "Airport Dedications" Here!

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
135 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   12:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From the same accumulation some airport dedication covers.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by gslaten - 11/20/2019 12:56 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
135 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   01:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A bit different, purchased on eBay a few years ago. Enjoy .

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
684 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   03:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First flight from Australia to Papua and New Guinea!

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
684 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   03:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And 3 more Aussie first flights...kinda...

Valued Member
100 Posts
Posted 11/22/2019   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aviatik to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Kinda...
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
684 Posts
Posted 11/24/2019   04:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is my earliest first flight cover so far......

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
684 Posts
Posted 11/26/2019   3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll share this here too.

And

Valued Member
United States
301 Posts
Posted 11/26/2019   4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reedededge to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I just love this thread! Here are three different Zeppelin first flight covers that really appeal to me, each for a different reason. I love the cachet of the Zeppelin on the C-14 cover while the border of the C-15 cover, I found just different enough to be cool. On the third one, the multicolored, multi-frankings make it really "POP". This area of philately has always appealed to me, in that one doesn't have to mortgage the farm to get something really cool and unique. It didn't hurt either, that many of these covers were from the philatelic golden age when collectors numbered in the millions.
Valued Member
United States
301 Posts
Posted 11/26/2019   4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reedededge to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Finally, here are two more of my personal favorites. The first one is great in so many ways. Most obviously, the cover "Received too late" to make the scheduled flight. It was also addressed to a recipient in Cumberland, MD, my home town. I don't think first flight covers get much prettier than this last one that is franked in 1c-10c denominations inclusive. Again, GREAT thread and thanks everybody for sharing!
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
684 Posts
Posted 11/26/2019   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great covers Reedededge thanks for sharing.
I really like the Zeppelin covers and Stamps
Valued Member
United States
301 Posts
Posted 11/26/2019   6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reedededge to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I hope others keep posting their FF covers. This is one of the great (and seemingly endless) 20th century postal history areas. IMHO, these covers are not only fascinating, but can be historically important and aesthetically beautiful.
Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
Posted 11/29/2019   7:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zepman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First flight on a re-purposed Roessler cover.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
684 Posts
Posted 12/03/2019   01:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Love the cachet Zepman reminds me of #C4 !

This arrived today I can't work out what is the deal with the black ball with wings?

And what looks like a hand stamped cachet on the back.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
897 Posts
Posted 12/03/2019   07:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I can't work out what is the deal with the black ball with wings?

Hi Laurie:

I think that image is a take-off on the winged-globe image popular during the 1930s, i.e.

or the air mail symbol on this first-flight cover.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2380 Posts
Posted 12/03/2019   09:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another airport dedication, this one for Gill's Airport in Cummings California. Looks like the postmaster either applied the cachet or supplied the ink for it.

Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05