Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Stamps Of Madagascar : On Album Pages.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26729 Posts
Posted 08/18/2017   4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rod222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Steiner Page 1.

Steiner Page 2.

1987 Sc#805 Souvenir Sheet : Calgary.

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26729 Posts
Posted 07/30/2018   06:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Unknown.
I am assuming "Printers waste" until further information falling.

Would be Sc#525

Would be Sc# C165.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2764 Posts
Posted 07/30/2018   06:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod,

I'd guess these are "Úpreuves de luxe", presentation items as opposed to proofs or printer's waste.

France, Monaco and many other francophone countries have issued these.
Nigel
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26729 Posts
Posted 07/30/2018   06:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Right, thank you very much Nigel,
not come across that expression before.

From Google:

Luxury proofs, most of the issued stamps, were printed from 1923 to 1998 by the Postal Administration.
These proofs consist of a sheet in the centre of which the stamp or stamps are printed in their exact color, but not serrated .
These slips officially reserved for high-ranking state officials and some high-ranking Post Office officials are highly sought after by collectors (circulation = about 250 to 300 copies).
From 1992, the luxury events were replaced by non-serrated sheets with rubber.
These leaflets, in addition to the gummed back, are distinguished from the luxury events by the presence of a legend printed under the figurine.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26729 Posts
Posted 07/30/2018   06:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Steiner Page 3.

Steiner Page 6.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26729 Posts
Posted 07/30/2018   06:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

These I had down as Printers Waste,
One can see the difference in the articles.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4279 Posts
Posted 07/30/2018   07:29 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not necessarily. Most of the ex-French colonies issued certain of their stamps in imperforated form. I don't know whether Yvert's Francophone Africa catalogue may give a little more information.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4355 Posts
Posted 07/30/2018   12:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FOURNIER FORGERIES
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4279 Posts
Posted 07/30/2018   1:42 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FT - how do the Fournier and Hirshberger forgeries differ? Aside from the cruder design than the originals, the Hirshbergers, I think, reverse their perf measurements. Is this true of Fournier too?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4355 Posts
Posted 07/30/2018   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GEO---Not sure what the Hirshberger forgeries look like .The FOURNIER has the perforations reversed . The design is very good and difficult to tell the difference ,Fournier wasn't so detail on the hand that holds the pole and a few other details .
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26729 Posts
Posted 07/30/2018   8:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not necessarily. Most of the ex-French colonies issued certain of their stamps in imperforated form.

Right. Thank you.

Nice page FT, time to check my perforations.
No idea they existed.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26729 Posts
Posted 07/30/2018   8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Steiner Page 8.

Steiner Page 17.

Note: Previous caretaker hinged incorrectly (Please don't lick hinges)
The dent from the wet hinge ruins the article.

Valued Member
United States
174 Posts
Posted 07/30/2018   11:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Greaden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I understand that Hirschberger worked for Fournier and actually printed the forgeries of the groupe type. Both names refer to the same set of forgeries.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4355 Posts
Posted 07/31/2018   01:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Greaden ,first your spelling is correct ,I had it wrong . It is HIRSCHBERGER not Hirshberger. It is not clear if he worked for Fournier or purchased his inventory but as you say it is the stamps .
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4279 Posts
Posted 07/31/2018   01:26 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FT/Greaden - thank you - thought I had another forger to worry about.
Rod - aside from the perfs, the stamp forgeries site has some real/fake examples if you flick through a few colonies. Some of the differences - cornucopia, hand on staff etc - can be a bit fiddly for those of us with declining eyesight.
Valued Member
Canada
125 Posts
Posted 07/31/2018   4:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mirman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

Thanks for sharing your pages. Really love page 3 as I collect used only and all stamps shown have a postal cancel and these are often much harder to obtain than mint stamps.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05