Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Identifying This Precancel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 2,101Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1189 Posts
Posted 08/19/2017   6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stampman2002 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
While breaking down a collection of precancels which ended in 1933, I found this item. I can't identify it and was hoping someone out there could shed some light on it.

It is a split precancel. If you look at the perforations on the bottom, there what appears to be a line across them, indicating another row of devices...or....

Here's the stamp:

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8093 Posts
Posted 08/19/2017   6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What do you need identified? It is an Albany NY precancel, if it is a precancel at all. To me it looks more like a cancel for several reasons. First, the printing is too large to be a precancel. Second, if it is a precancel the top part would most likely be showing on the bottom.

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1189 Posts
Posted 08/19/2017   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know if it is a precancel or not, Peter. I had the same concerns you mentioned, but also know that if this is a precancel, it would depend upon the position on the device and the stamp as to whether there would be anything at the bottom of the stamp.

For example, if this was a 25 (5x5) hand stamp device, and this was one of the bottom positions on the device, the strike of the device on the next group of stamps may have been better centered, keeping the strike completely on those stamps.

Also, if this stamp was on the bottom row of the pane, there would be nothing on the bottom of the stamp. Since there was no selvage attached, the position of the stamp is not ascertainable.

I've looked at the PSS T&T carefully. I cannot find anything which matches this, but that doesn't mean it wasn't listed and removed some time in the past.

I was curious if anyone else had seen one like it, or had a cancel on cover which matched this so I could lay it to rest as a cancel.

Thanks for looking at it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2485 Posts
Posted 08/19/2017   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
not a precancel, probably a very wide parcel box
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 2,101Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.18 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05