Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Great Britain Collectors Club Website

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,867Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1990 Posts
Posted 08/23/2017   5:38 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Stamps1962 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not a member of this fine group but sometimes like to surf their site. Lately I am getting 'Access Forbidden' - perhaps they are just down for maintenance.

Anyone know what's going on? I did a Google search and found lots of non philatelic matches for that title- including several British Cricket clubs. Did they disband?

http://www.gbstamps.com/gbcc

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff
Edited by Stamps1962 - 08/23/2017 5:41 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1449 Posts
Posted 08/23/2017   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Renden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Same for me....no access
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7336 Posts
Posted 08/23/2017   6:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Came up OK for me, but used this address:https://www.collectors-club-of-great-britain.co.uk .
Is that the same club?

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1449 Posts
Posted 08/23/2017   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Renden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Link works but not impressive Stamps1962
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
1694 Posts
Posted 08/23/2017   6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is the one in question, I believe... http://gbstamps.com/gbcc/index.html. The USA-based Great Britain Collectors Club (GBCC) caters for all collectors of GB stamps.
It doesn't work and appears to show a page from a company based the British Virgin Islands (iyfipgun.com)
Pillar Of The Community
1151 Posts
Posted 08/23/2017   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampmaster to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all, wish I'd would have known about this club when I was stationed in England.

After arriving in England, went to London, to the Strand, and found a nice sized box of just U.S. Washington/Franklin head stamp there for a few pounds. Spent many years just working on those. Real lucky, found some nice goodies.

Over in England, I could find stamp collectors, but could not find any Stamp Clubs. Lots of dealers and collectors.

Cheers

Stampmaster
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1990 Posts
Posted 08/23/2017   7:31 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK well I know now it's not just me. I looked them up on the APS website, and sent a note to their contact's email.

This sort of looks like they no longer have any internet presence. Sad if so. They've been a very active club catering to collectors in a very popular collecting area. This just has to be a case of being between webmasters, or something. See if I get a reply.
Valued Member
United States
428 Posts
Posted 08/23/2017   8:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ldhaber to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

The GBCC is most certainly still around and active. Our journal comes out each and every quarter, on time, and our last national meeting was in Richmond earlier this month.

The website, however, is in transition as the "old" website was very long in the tooth and very much in need of update.

We are moving to a new url, http://gbphilately.org which is still be populated and in time all the material on the old website will be transitioned to the new one. Sorry for the confusion, but we're working hard to get this all done as soon as possible.

Hope this helps,

Larry Haber
Edited by ldhaber - 08/23/2017 8:30 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1903 Posts
Posted 08/23/2017   8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stampmaster,

Second request. Were you assigned to Long Cheng, Laos and later to RAF Lakenheath in England during the late 60's?

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
1151 Posts
Posted 08/23/2017   9:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampmaster to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jkelley01938, sorry, where is your first request?

Stampmaster
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1990 Posts
Posted 08/24/2017   11:15 am  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Idhaber, thanks. Someone probably needs to contact APS and update the link to your society on their website.

I have collected this area for years. I have looked through the revised site and don't find anything that would indicate how you structure your dues year; if someone were to join this month would they pay the full dues for 2017 then need to renew in December? Or does it run a full 12 months?

Great job on the new site!
Edited by Stamps1962 - 08/24/2017 11:17 am
Valued Member
United States
428 Posts
Posted 08/25/2017   04:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ldhaber to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamps1962-

You go onto you own 12 month schedule, so if you joined now, we'd bill you for your renewal this time in 2018, as aligned with the quarterly cycle of the journal.

-

Larry
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1903 Posts
Posted 08/25/2017   06:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stampmaster,

It was on another thread where you mentioned that you were a MSgt. I knew a MSgt Thompson. He was a nice guy but I didn't know he was a collector. I was away from the hobby at the time myself. If you are the person I am thinking of, you also spoke often about Virginia or Myrtle Beach.

Jack Kelley
Edited by jkelley01938 - 08/25/2017 07:56 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
10 Posts
Posted 01/24/2021   11:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mozzerb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just to add an update: the GBCC merged with the Great Britain Philatelic Society as of November 2019. Members were given the option to transfer over their membership to the GBPS until the end of 2020, and nearly 80 did.

The GBPS caters for anyone with an interest in GB philately and postal history. We have two publications, both published six times a year: The GB Journal, A5 size and in full colour, which contains new research into GB material, and the GBPS Newsletter, A4 size and averaging 36 pages (b/w but in colour on the web), which contains news, illustrated reports of meetings, pages from competition entries, notes, queries, and shorter articles, and pretty much whatever members want to send in! There is also an extensive website with a large amount of information on GB philately (much of which is also made available to non-members).

The complete run of the GBCC Chronicle has been digitized and is available for download by members from the website, along with the complete run of The GB Journal from 1956 to date and the GBPS Newsletter from 2000 (when it moved from being just a newsletter to an actual publication). Members also have access to an archive of scanned displays of GB material (some 90+ as of the time of writing), a discussion board, consultants, a library etc.

We have recently started to hold a series of "Zoom meetings" while face-to-face meetings are impractical due to coronavirus, and we plan to continue these even when normal meetings are restored.

Subscriptions are UK 25, Europe 30, World 36 Airmail/30 Surface.

http://www.gbps.org.uk

***The forum rules disallow 'drive-by links' by members without 50 posts; making an exception in this case. - Mod***
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,867Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05