Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

APS Bellefonte Visit

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 4,944Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
288 Posts
Posted 08/25/2017   09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add svensson to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Probably not worthy of note for any "old hands", but I was planning to make my first pilgrimage to the APS facilities in Bellefonte tomorrow, only to discover that it is only open Monday- Friday. I guess I will be taking off a work day to make that trip.
I imagine most of the staff are volunteers, so I guess I shouldn't complain.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3046 Posts
Posted 08/25/2017   09:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are a lot of paid staff but obviously they are not paid to work on weekends. This would be more important if it was more a tourist attraction with museums, etc.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Al
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
Posted 08/25/2017   10:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Arrows2Atoms to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was lucky enough to get to visit headquarters. The staff are very friendly and the library top notch (I could spend days in there). Around every turn is something interesting to collectors, even the mundane "business" side of things. As a life member of the APS, it felt almost like my patriotic duty to enjoy a visit there, like seeing DC or a national park.
Valued Member
United States
288 Posts
Posted 08/25/2017   11:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svensson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"This would be more important if it was more a tourist attraction with museums, etc." True enough, but since stamp collecting is not a business for most of us and guided by typical business hours, most collectors might be inclined to make a visit on a Saturday. At least I would think so. Anyway, I am not complaining, I plan on using the library, enjoying the architecture, picking up some pre-selected stamp store purchases, and apparently I can peruse their bookstore and other "hands on" stamps that are for sale. I have plenty of vacation time.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3046 Posts
Posted 08/25/2017   6:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It would not hurt to have something that was a tourist attraction.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1566 Posts
Posted 08/25/2017   6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkfarm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First there is enough to visit or see in the Stats College area go keep most people happy or busy.

I was hoping to make my first visit the week. However my mother had a stroke and plans had to change.

I too wished they were open on Saturday or at least maybe until 9 on a Friday. The week day is something I can do only because I travel to the area at least once or twice a month. Thus to make a visit I'm lucky. So still looking forward go it.

Now if work would not take me to the area I would have to take a vacation day or be retired.
Edited by mkfarm - 08/25/2017 6:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7528 Posts
Posted 08/25/2017   6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, one of the APS executives is on this forum at times. Maybe we need to ask Mr. Scott English if there is a way to at least be open for some hours during the weekend.

Peter
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
Posted 08/25/2017   11:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ScottEnglish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In years past, the APS would open on one Saturday a month. As I was told, we did not get more than five or six visitors on a given Saturday, so the practice ended before I arrived. Right now, we are not resourced to manage weekend hours and support weekend operations beyond what we do now with show travel. We evaluate this regularly though and remain open to changing things if we're able.

Scott
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3046 Posts
Posted 08/26/2017   06:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
mkfarm, I meant it would not hurt for APS to have something that would be a tourist attraction that would generate traffic - APS members and non-stamp collectors. However, there are challenges like lack of a lot of parking.
Al
Edited by angore - 08/26/2017 06:20 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1566 Posts
Posted 08/26/2017   10:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkfarm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe APS could have an event for a weekend. Something like AG Progress Days. They could have a stamp show on steroids. They could really showcase their building and capabilities/resources along with a stamp show. I know the train shows in Lancaster draws large crowds every year and people make it a yearly travel event.

My point is I think they could use their location once a year and build it into a one of a kind event. The opportunity has a lot of potential and I can think of a lot of interesting and fun things you can do. In fact coordinate it with another event going on in the area.

It just sounds fun and I know it would work if planned right. In any event I'm just looking forward on making my first trip.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
Posted 08/28/2017   09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ScottEnglish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We do have weekend hours each year during SCOPEX, the local stamp show sponsored by the Mt. Nittany Philatelic Society, which is always the weekend preceding our annual Summer Seminar. You do not have to be participating in Summer Seminar to attend the show and tour the headquarters, buy from the circuits, use the library, all which are available to members and the public.

This year, on October 27-28, we will have UNEXPO, a two-day World Series of Philately show at the American Philatelic Center. Although the competitive exhibits will be UN, there will be dealers offering a variety of stamps and we'll have the Center open for tours, circuit sales, library hours and more. There will be a first day ceremony with the United Nations on Friday, October 27. For those who are curious, Penn State does not have a home game that weekend, so hotel rates are standard. We have more information on our website: http://www.unpi.com/UNEXPO17/index.asp
Learn More...
9500 Posts
Posted 08/28/2017   09:22 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
625 Posts
Posted 08/28/2017   10:21 am  Show Profile Check kcaramat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kcaramat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, Don ! The next thing you'll tell me is the world is not flat.
Valued Member
United States
288 Posts
Posted 08/28/2017   11:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svensson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I will be devoting Thursday to that APS visit...I'm getting goosebumps already. Oddly on check out from the Stamp Store it offers to provide an APEX cert for a Norway #1 I plan to pick up for $25. Then reading the fee rates I see that is normally only $20 for a "sub-$200 cataloged" item. I'm not going to quibble over $5, but that seems to be a disconnect. Anyway, hope the weather is nice.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
Posted 08/28/2017   12:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ScottEnglish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure if the item is cataloged above $200 - even though the sale price might be lower. Please be sure to confirm with APEX when you get here and we can square up any discrepancy in the pricing.

Hopefully, you enjoy your visit to the APC and we love to have visitors. I'd love to say hello is you have time to stop by.

Scott
Learn More...
9500 Posts
Posted 08/28/2017   1:30 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The next thing you'll tell me is the world is not flat.

Perhaps missing the boat will turn out to be a good thing.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 4,944Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05