Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Worst Dealer You Ever Dealt With

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar Of The Community

1151 Posts
Posted 08/25/2017   10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stampmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, about 25 years ago, found a stamp and coin dealer in Orange California. Stopped in one day after work.

Asked to look at his air mail stock books. (looking to Cherry Pick U.S. C-11 with recuts). The dealer had a lot of C-11's in his stock book. I took out my tongs out and started pulling stamps out, he said right away, it will be 15 cents for each of the stamps you pull out. I asked what he was talking about, he said he only always charge when a stamp is removed from the stock book.

I got up and left his shop.

Never went back there.

Stampmaster
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2687 Posts
Posted 08/26/2017   06:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! That dealer knows how to lose customers.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1187 Posts
Posted 08/26/2017   06:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At NY2016 I approached a well known dealer and asked to see any card proofs he had for some of the Newspaper stamps. He told me if I wanted to see his stock, I should go to his website online. I thanked him and walked away.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2687 Posts
Posted 08/26/2017   06:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ha. It sounds like he did not have the stock at the show.

I had one dealer who claimed to be an expertizer for APS to sell me a mis-identified Wash-Franklin. I even asked him if it was properly described. It was priced well below what the real stamp was -- claimed he was passing on the savings. Education.
Al
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
Posted 08/26/2017   07:00 am  Show Profile Check ddaann's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ddaann to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe he's an expertizer for the American Physiological Society.
Valued Member
Ireland
216 Posts
Posted 08/26/2017   09:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
He is long deceased.
I think it is a process over decades rather than a single transaction.
Thinking someone is a "nice guy" then a "character" then downright "cheat".
It amuses me thatI can throw his name into conversations with other collectors and dealers and they will say he was dishonest and then add some anecdotes.
The thing that surprises me is that they did not call him out when he was actually....alive.
The experience has made me wary of almost all dealers and thats a pity because I am sure the vast majority are honest folks.
Learn More...
7869 Posts
Posted 08/26/2017   09:17 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Back in the 1970s I had some early Greek airmail covers. Since I had no experience with them, I sent them to a NY dealer for inspection. He asked, and I complied, to send them on to Europe to a Greece expert. Two months later they came back as good and I got paid around $1800 (big bucks for covers back then).

Over two YEARS later I get a registered letter from the dealer's attorney demanding money to be refunded saying the covers had later found to be fake.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4533 Posts
Posted 08/26/2017   09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The very first transaction with a stamp dealer remains the worst for me . I was still in high school and had a paper route making $20.00 a month . I decided to become a big time collector ,so I took $10.00 and went to Patria Stamp and Coin store at 63th. and Western ave in Chicago . I wanted to add meat to my early U.S. section of my worldwide collection . This being my step up to be a serious collector .
Went in and told the dealer I wanted to see early U.S. ,he pulled out a binder from the bookcase and each stamp had a small price tab next to it , he told me to remove the stamp and the tab with the catalog number and price .Since I was going to spend $10.00 I would get a 20% discount ,so I could pick out $12.00 Scott catalog worth of stamps .
I mounted them on a blank album page with the little tabs next to each stamp ,so I could show everybody these were expensive stamps . Years later after college I still had my valuable album page in my stamp album . Every stamp was damaged with creases or missing corners or cut perfs. . I will never forget that .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1885 Posts
Posted 08/26/2017   10:06 am  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, many memories come flooding back, here is one:

H.E.Harris- I bought approvals like most kids from them in the 50's. I put away my collection then in my teens got serious about it and dug out my old collection to find nearly all stamps I'd bought from them were defective in some way.
I had stopped buying from them after they mailed me an approval selection with empty glassines, no stamps at all. I mailed them back telling them what happened, they apparently didn't believe a ten year old kid and started dunning me. My parents got a letter from a Boston attorney which ended my collecting for quite awhile, my dad wrote back telling them where to go and we never heard again.

Years later it still seems incredible. They actually threatened someone they knew was probably a kid with a lawsuit over what? $5 worth of junk stamps? I realize now it was just a mistake on someone's part there but I have to wonder how many young people were lost to our hobby by tactics like this.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1387 Posts
Posted 08/26/2017   10:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Aside from the clown at the "cartel...."

There is a British Commonwealth dealer located in California who I am fairly certain is still active. I had begun to do some mail order business with him and decided to share my wants list with him as we was a very active show seller and buyer. My explicit instructions were to quote me items as they arose to see if I still needed the items and that we could reach a meeting of the minds. Since he had my credit card on file, he took it upon himself to source a series of (extremely overpriced) sets, sending over $400 worth unannounced and charged to my AMEX. Needless to say, they all went back.

Any stamp this guy sells that exists in both inexpensive and expensive shades (or other characteristics) automatically is listed as the expensive SG number in his price list. Not long after the wants list affair, he badly misidentified a Bermuda perf 14 shade worth about $25 as SG 118c, a stamp worth at the time at least $500. After I received it, I emailed to let him know it was the wrong shade, and attempted to describe what the shade actually looks like. He said he had another copy so before issuing a refund he wanted me to consider his other copy. When I received it, the head plate color was very much closer to bronze-green except for one problem- the new stamp was perf 13. A complete lack of ethics or moral philatelic compass.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1885 Posts
Posted 08/26/2017   10:23 am  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shermae, I think I know who you mean and he is still out there and active, but doesn't advertise much anymore.

I don't quite know why but for some odd reason a lot of British Commonwealth dealers I have encountered are like this. The ones operating out of the UK are usually more reliable and know what the heck they are selling. The ones stateside are often hopeless. Maybe because they use Scott #s in their stocking and in the resulting confusion a lot of mistakes get passed on to buyers. I have seen some of them at shows and seldom approach them, they sort of give off vibes that they expect you to spend four figures just for sitting down, people seldom do.
Valued Member
United States
120 Posts
Posted 08/26/2017   10:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BKing to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Had a problem with an e-Bay seller last year. After a month I hadn't received the stamps, so I was about to complain to e-Bay when I received a non-payment complaint from the dealer. It was a misunderstanding on my part, but when I called the dealer to clear it up she insisted that I had to give her my credit card number. I said no, but I would mail her a check. She got angry saying that I didn't trust her with my credit card numbers. I said that I don't trust anyone with the numbers. She then became abusive, calling me stupid. I told her that I would remember that comment when I left feedback, and she went "postal" on me. Told me that if I dared to leave negative feedback she would have me banned from e-Bay. I didn't leave any feedback, not because she threatened to have me banned, rather because I didn't feel the need to be so petty. I did mail the check, but it never cleared my bank, nor did I ever receive the stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1885 Posts
Posted 08/26/2017   10:43 am  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BKing, she'd have you banned from eBay? Oh yes, and some guy named Guido wold come to your house and break your leg. Sounds like a good one to stay away from.

A few years back I left neutral feedback for a seller who'd sent me the wrong material, not once but three times after which I gave up and wrote him off. Soon after I got a personal message from him, offering a 50% discount on my next order if I would contact eBay and upgrade to a positive. I won't repeat what I told him. My initial reply didn't make it through their filters..
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1387 Posts
Posted 08/26/2017   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamps1962 - his initials are E.A.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1885 Posts
Posted 08/26/2017   1:56 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK one more then that's it.

Back in 2005 I was at a major stamp show, I spent some time and money at a cover dealer's booth, I'd never seen him before, older guy, sort of reminded me of my dad- who unfortunately I never really got along with. Anyway, we did some business and he mentioned he had some things I was looking for and if I'd stop by the next day he'd have them for me to look at. I went back the next day, along with my then 10 year old son.

Let me make it clear, my kid knew now to behave at shows. I never let him touch anything on dealer's tables. So I show up, we sit down and I asked if he found the stuff he mentioned. He said 'I don't know what you're talking about' Then began staring furiously at my kid. I was stunned and started to explain so he then stands up tells us we need to move on and turns his back on us. I think I mumbled something like sorry you feel that way and left. My son had no inkling what had happened and I never mentioned it but it made me furious the more I thought about it. I later emailed the show chair who seemed taken back as well but also mentioned that dealer had some 'health' issues that may have contributed to it. I never saw him again at that sow.

A year later he turned up at my local stamp show and I gave him a wide berth and from the looks of it so did most attendees. I am friends with the organizer and mentioned this t him and he told me the guy was not coming back, he'd had complaints about him. He didn't say what but I can guess.To me, he acted like someone who'd had a stroke, or a series of them and shouldn't have been running a table. Never saw him again, didn't want to either.

Our local show once had a dealer who was caught red handed stealing stock from other dealers at the show and ejected the first day. That was interesting..

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1187 Posts
Posted 08/26/2017   10:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, one from eBay...

There is a seller who sent me several badly described lots (all one shipment). When I contacted him to tell him about it, he became rather irate, wanting to know if I was trying to shake him down.

I sent the stamps back, had to get eBay involved to get a refund and have his unfounded feedback removed. I had purchased probably 30-40 items from him prior to this incident and was really surprised. I left neutral feedback because I figure anyone can have a bad day.

The next time he had something I wanted to bid on, I found out I was banned for life from bidding on anything from this seller....

Go figure.
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05