Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Veteran's Homes ... In The News

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3774 Posts
Posted 09/04/2017   10:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Veteran's Homes

I've seen postcards of veteran's homes, et al.

If memory serves, most of these were from southern states.

Makes a nice topic, especially if you like buildings with turrets.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/03/...glected.html ... The VA has 430 vacant buildings. More than 200 are over 90 years old.

Q/ Have you got any postcards of "Old Soldiers' Homes" that (unlike me) you can actually lay your hands on?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
568 Posts
Posted 09/04/2017   1:15 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Several of the homes had post offices, so no need to restrict only to postcards! I'll post a few Ohio examples tonight once I've had time to perform the honey-do list and get some scans.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
568 Posts
Posted 09/05/2017   2:13 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On a theory of better late than never, here's the Ohio State Soldier's Home in Sandusky, Ohio - card and postmark. Admittedly I had to "borrow" the card from eBay since it turns out none of my postmarks from its post office are on picture postcards of the home. The post office operated 1890-1958.

Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
Posted 06/25/2019   12:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HoosRec to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Veterans posing in front of a business across the street from the Marion, Indiana, Veterans' Home. This link will take you to my Flickr page that describes this scene. If you follow the "back to album" link near the top of that page, you can view postcards scenes of the home itself and the grounds as well as a postcard showing the "Home Band."

https://flic.kr/p/8QsyV8

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05