Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Stopped Collecting Stamps To Save My Sanity (Guardian Article)

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 3,808Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

United States
505 Posts
Posted 09/10/2017   11:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add dkabq8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ve-my-sanity

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5186 Posts
Posted 09/10/2017   12:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The key to the above story is " HAVE ENDED IN DISAPPOINTMENT" sad a lot collectors feel the same way . You can bet this fellow never purchased philatelic books ,never purchased material that he could research or dig into . Sad but I seen a lot of collections where the collector just gave up and never touch the stuff he purchased .
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
3415 Posts
Posted 09/10/2017   12:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While he felt this way about stamp booklets that he couldn't find, I have felt this way about new issues in that I stopped collecting (new issue) stamps to save my sanity (and money).
Edited by jogil - 09/10/2017 12:49 pm
Pillar Of The Community
1393 Posts
Posted 09/10/2017   1:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
His problem was thinking of stamps as "passion assets."
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3057 Posts
Posted 09/10/2017   1:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For sure classic cars have been selling and have been good investments;but that's another subject...
Valued Member
Bulgaria
51 Posts
Posted 11/01/2017   3:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add filkata to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's very sad. But it seems that what is true for many activities can also be true about stamp collecting - at some point, you have lost interest, but keep on doing it just because you feel that you have invested too much and have to keep going. I think this is what might have happened.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2238 Posts
Posted 11/01/2017   4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
He's a crybaby wimp. No recall of any good times spent on the collection, just acquisition? Sounds like the "investor" who thinks he knows more than anyone else. Moaning about having to sell it for a loss? If he spent all his cash at the pub instead, he'd have a beer gut instead of getting some money back.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1712 Posts
Posted 01/03/2018   4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Completion is over-rated and in many cases unobtainable.

The thrill of the chase and pleasure of ownership far outweighs any loss you might make when you sell.

This guy sounds like he eventually realised why he gave up in the first place
Pillar Of The Community
United States
560 Posts
Posted 01/03/2018   4:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add centerstage98 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for commenting on this older. I missed it the first time around. I agree with the above comments (of course, we're collectors here, so that would make sense, right?)

Odd in that the writer seemed to be at least into some aspect of the hobby - stamps from early 20th century booklets - and then bowed out because he couldn't obtain stamps that no one could be sure even existed. Actually, that is beyond odd to me - downright goofy.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1903 Posts
Posted 01/03/2018   4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jogil,

I am so tempted to follow you. I just haven't gotten there yet.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
1446 Posts
Posted 01/03/2018   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jkjblue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
After a promising start, my collection became more and more esoteric, until the only thing that I was interested in was panes taken out of GB stamp booklets printed in the first half of the 20th century.

I agree, the path of increasing esoteric specialization leads to perdition and sorrow.

It makes me so happy that I've stayed with a general and generic world wide collection approach.
Classical era collecting with the Blues
http://bigblue1840-1940.blogspot.com/
Valued Member
United States
461 Posts
Posted 01/10/2018   10:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I only collect stamps on envelopes showing their usage. Started out collecting them individually. Then, thirty years or so ago I realized modern mint stamps were best used for postage if you could cram enough of them on an envelope to make up the current postal rates. Next, I gave up on used individual stamps when dealers kept insisting there merchandise was VF or better but turned around and down graded the same stamps if you offered them for sale. And then there was (is) the premiums charged for graded material. P.T. Barnum said it best, something about one born everyday .....

Opinions do change over time especially when buying as compared to selling.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1903 Posts
Posted 01/10/2018   1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I deliberately avoided collecting imperforate sheets right from the get go. I'm glad I did. I may even put an end to collecting current US stamps as well and concentrate instead on the "good stuff" (W-F and 19th Century).

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5964 Posts
Posted 01/10/2018   1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Even if I quit it is too late to save my sanity.

Learn More...
United States
4720 Posts
Posted 01/10/2018   1:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@ROGDCAM -- I had that same reaction. Besides, sanity is overrated!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1449 Posts
Posted 01/10/2018   2:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Renden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From jogil

Quote:
While he felt this way about stamp booklets that he couldn't find, I have felt this way about new issues in that I stopped collecting (new issue) stamps to save my sanity (and money).

.....same here
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 3,808Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05