Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What do you make of this amazing appearing 1861 3c  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
241 Posts
Posted 09/12/2017   11:22 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
This stamp is blowing my mind. It was in an album in the wrong spot and the color is so strong and bright it seems to me it isn't a 65. I suppose I could have stumbled on a Lake, but that doesn't seem right either. The gum seems ok except some tiny spots where there was probably a hinge. I can't bring myself to call this a 65. I know evaluating color on the computer is impossible, but what do you think?

Send note to Staff
Edited by rlsny - 09/12/2017 11:24 pm

Valued Member
United States
241 Posts
Posted 09/12/2017   11:32 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Let me clarify - it isn't a 66 Lake. But it is darker in color than I've seen on a 65. My concern is that maybe it's something else - like a perf'd, gummed essay or proof.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3966 Posts
Posted 09/12/2017   11:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The impression appears much too sharp to be a stamp. Proof seems likely.
Valued Member
United States
241 Posts
Posted 09/13/2017   12:16 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Right, but of the 65 proofs listed in Scott there is only one listed as on stamp paper (the paper looks exactly like typical stamp paper for this issue - same through light, same texture, feel, sound as other 65s). The one proof is 65P5 which is only listed as a pair in Scott and for a very high cat so that seem doubtful. I also don't see any essays with this design on stamp paper. I'm really at a loss for this. It could just be an amazing 65, but I'm still searching.
Valued Member
Australia
357 Posts
Posted 09/13/2017   02:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lawrence Vassallo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It Looks very pink to me, a deep pink, 64B?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1217 Posts
Posted 09/13/2017   05:53 am  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not saying there is something wrong at top and bottom but the side perfs look absolutely genuine. I think you have a nicely printed stamp from late '61 to early '62.

Scanning this stamp with other 65's would be helpful.

Valued Member
190 Posts
Posted 09/13/2017   07:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This link to James Lee's page for Trial Color 65's may be helpful.

http://www.jameslee.com/1861-3centessays.htm

The color seems to not match 56 but there are several shades that come close in Siegel's sales records.

Beautiful in any case.
Valued Member
United States
241 Posts
Posted 09/13/2017   2:13 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scanning a few gave me some fun this afternoon. Note it can't be a 56 since the design is different on that stamp.

So here are a few 65s for comparison. The stamp in question is on top. The stamp at the far right is a certified 66 (reperfed on right). The one next to it is an OG stamp I bought from Kelleher for my own collection. The left one is worth exploring too, but I'm assuming the rest are 65s.

Pillar Of The Community
1050 Posts
Posted 09/13/2017   2:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampmaster to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi rlsny, I think your original posting is a very attractive stamp!

Stampmaster
Valued Member
United States
41 Posts
Posted 09/13/2017   2:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dry Tech to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow Risny - Whatever your stamp turns out to be it really is beautiful.

For that reason I've been following this post with interest.

Does anyone know why scot 66 was left out of the 2014 U.S. Specialized catalog? That is the only catalog I have.

Dave
Valued Member
United States
241 Posts
Posted 09/13/2017   3:29 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They renumbered it. It is now considered a trial color proof - 66TC6
Valued Member
United States
241 Posts
Posted 09/13/2017   10:56 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So after a good amount of searching I think the correct description of this color is "rose lake". I've seen a few specimen stamps with that color and they seem to be a very close match. Also looking at the photo I uploaded earlier with multiple stamps it does look like it is between the OG 65 Rose and the 66 Lake. So Rose Lake it is.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
635 Posts
Posted 09/13/2017   11:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like your decision of rose lake. I think that makes sense based on how it shows up on my computer. Regardless it is a gorgeous stamp. The impression is fabulous
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
Posted 09/14/2017   12:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Douglas Andrew Willinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rlsny- That is truly a fantastic stamp. My guess is that it is what the manufacturers strove for, yet often fell short with the varying qualities of the inks used.

It is similar to the 65SB, which I consider a "blueprinted" stamp, akin to the 78SB which is likewise of superior color quality than the mass produced stamp.

I wonder if yours is a type SB that is missing the overprint? No such thing appears in the catalogs, however there were some "sample" printings cir 1889 that exist as non overprints; likewise with the 1 cent and 2 cent State Department specimens, which are recognizable by their color.

Here's a partial page of 65s that includes an 65SB as well as a few trial color printings at the top and top right.

Cheers!

Learn More...
3616 Posts
Posted 09/14/2017   1:14 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I started communicating with Jack Daley about the idea of resurrecting his original ‘Collecting Shades of the 3 Cent 1861' site. I developed this as a starting point (but never published it) http://www.stampsmarter.com/Learnin..._Colors.html and was seeking Jack's help in getting the images and info flushed out.

But the more I worked on this the more I realized that trying display color information was tilting at windmills. I was dealing with disparate image sources and Lord knows what kind of post scanning image processing but it was even worse than that. Let's say we were all in a room with a 100% accurate color chart in hand. 10 of us look at it and only a few of us would agree on the colors we are seeing. It is well established that women, for example, see colors better then men (they physically have more cones in their eye then men). So do we discount the men's opinions? Wait, if we walk the color chart outside with it in indirect sunlight everyone now sees different colors. We all know that color is a function of light reflection so defining the ambient light is critical when discussing colors. And now add more technology layers like scanners and displays?

Geez, I gave up on chasing the 3 Cent 1861 colors down and most all other efforts to post accurate color images.
Don
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
Posted 09/14/2017   1:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Douglas Andrew Willinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
True, which is why it is important to see more scans of *different shades together* as I have done so here, as well as with the 24 cent 1861+ an another stamp collecting board about 5 years ago.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  So they tell me the stamp market is crashing?
  Where can I find Department of Interior stamps.....
  FDC with wrong cachet
  How do these imperforate stamps compare?
  Review my 1870-88 Bank Issue ID results of Washington 3 cent stamp
  Scotts Specialized Catalog
  Not the best #9 TIV, but it has a scarce cancel!
  Scott US 114 lifted from old album
  Something's not quite right about this narcotic stamp image
  Anyone Doing the Same?
  Scott Page Protectors for Lighthouse Pages
  Sc. 632 and 633 design vs. Nebr. and Kans. versions and Sc. 571 sizes
  Assistance required Identifying this Franklin 1 Cent
  Color Date Change Over
  Measuring Germany Mi 154 for fault?
  How would I start / continue to identify this 10 cent Jefferson?
  High quality scanner?
  Future Scott Catalogues
  What's going on with eBay? Width of stamps
  Italian Post Turkish Empire 1922 question
  U.S Fancy Cancels Help Needed
  China commemoratives for radio telescope
  Five Cent Beaver Leaping Fish Variety
  Austrian Cinderellas
  Beautiful cinderella from the British Esperanto Association

Doves as Symbols of Peace
  Kiloware 'Treasure'
  Poster stamps missing the entire frame?
  A part perf revenue stamp that was separated by Dracula
  Something's not quite right about this narcotic stamp image
  Scotts Specialized Catalog
  What Geographical Area Do You Live In
  Not the best #9 TIV, but it has a scarce cancel!
  So they tell me the stamp market is crashing?
  How do these imperforate stamps compare?
  Where can I find Department of Interior stamps.....
  King George Hidden Date
  Wiki'd Buildings on Stamps
  Review my 1870-88 Bank Issue ID results of Washington 3 cent stamp
  FDC with wrong cachet
  APS Arbitration/Litigation re Donation
  Paypal payment reversal policy
  Wet vs Dry Printed Postage Stamps
  My newly acquired Clipper covers!
  Abandoned Places ... postcard morph
  1934 National Parks Series and 1935 Farley Reprints
  How would I start / continue to identify this 10 cent Jefferson?
  Rupert's Land and the Red River Valley
  Bare Feet on Stamps ' , ' , ' , '
  What's going on with eBay? Width of stamps

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.29 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05