Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Common Abbreviations  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

1050 Posts
Posted 09/13/2017   01:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stampmaster to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
Hi

I've had (maybe it just me) trouble when someone writes a post, or replies to a posting and use abbreviations that I do not what they mean.

If I could suggest somewhere on the Stamp Community Family site a new listing of common abbreviations be listed with meaning.

Something like this maybe:

Fantail (FT)
In My Opinion (IMO)
Pick Up Point (PUP

I waste everybody's time when I have to stop and ask what an abbreviation stands for. It takes away from the original posters question or whatever.

I feel bad but I want to know what the abbreviation stands for, and how it relates to the posting.

David Thompson (Stampmaster)

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1056 Posts
Posted 09/13/2017   07:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I do not know two of your acronyms (FT, PUP).
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Al
Learn More...
United States
4410 Posts
Posted 09/13/2017   09:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I feel the burden is on the Original Poster (OP) to make his/her message clear.
For general Internet lingo, IMO, there are better dictionaries elsewhere.

There is a Glossary in the left-side menu. Maybe it needs refreshing/updating.
https://www.stampcommunity.org/dictionary/

That said, I would not be opposed to seeing a resource link to stamp-related terms and acronyms such as:
http://www.linns.com/insights/gloss...ms.html.html
https://stamps.org/Acronyms

I will explore. Thanks for the suggestion.
KirkS
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1648 Posts
Posted 09/13/2017   09:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotzm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Of course you have to watch out for the unintentional ones like one time when s m b dy st l ll th v w ls fr m my k yb rd.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4636 Posts
Posted 09/13/2017   09:59 am  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Kirk. But I also believe that out of common courtesy we should keep the use of abbreviations down as much as possible. We have an awful lot of folks on this forum that are not American and they may or may not know what we are talking about.
Besides, sometimes an abbreviation means different things in different cultures.

Peter
Learn More...
United States
4410 Posts
Posted 09/13/2017   3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@PETERT4522: Good points.
Valued Member
United States
250 Posts
Posted 09/13/2017   5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think we need to distinguish between internet abbreviations (IMHO LOL OP etc.) and philatelic abbreviations (MNH OG NGAI etc.). The stamps.org link above will help with the latter but not the former.
Edited by SPQR - 09/13/2017 5:53 pm
Learn More...
United States
4410 Posts
Posted 09/14/2017   09:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@SPQR: I agree -- and I think general abbreviations are best found elsewhere.

Kirk
Pillar Of The Community
1050 Posts
Posted 09/14/2017   11:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampmaster to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all, I checked the attached glossary to our wonderful site, it only lists A thru Z.

What does "@" stand for on this site?

I know "@" is usually part of a person's email address.

If I put "@" and a member's handle name, will this site send an email to that person?

Stampmaster
Pillar Of The Community
1050 Posts
Posted 09/14/2017   4:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampmaster to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, sorry I was referring to the posts that used the following:

"@PETERT4522" and "@SPQR", but your answer made it clear to me, thanks, so then what this is (correct me if I'm wrong), yelling at because all the letter are upper case, but the body of the posts do not sound like the responder is upset with these two? Did I get that right?

Stampmaster
Learn More...
United States
4410 Posts
Posted 09/14/2017   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hi, sorry I was referring to the posts that used the following:

"@PETERT4522" and "@SPQR", but your answer made it clear to me, thanks, so then what this is (correct me if I'm wrong), yelling at because all the letter are upper case, but the body of the posts do not sound like the responder is upset with these two? Did I get that right?

Stampmaster

@STAMPMASTER: that was not meant to be yelling. I didn't equate putting the username in CAPS to typing my whole message in caps.

I could have used the Quote feature (like I did for you above).

That is Kirk-specific lingo; just my own little way of letting other users know I am replying to their comment. The @ sign doesn't "do" anything (like it does on Twitter or other social media) -- but I was just trying to answer those members' questions.

Sorry If I caused confusion.

Kirk

Pillar Of The Community
1050 Posts
Posted 09/14/2017   9:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampmaster to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kirk, its more likely because I never learned all this other stuff.

So to make it clear to me I can when replying to another poster use any of the following without offending any one:

@STAMPMASTER
Hi Stampmaster
Replying to just Stampmaster

Seems like using the "@" sign makes sense.

Twitter or other social media isn't something I choose to take part in. Please do not ask me why, do not think anyone would like my answer.

Thanks @KIRK (I think I'm getting the it)
Learn More...
United States
4410 Posts
Posted 09/15/2017   2:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You're doing fine, friend.

Now there are two of us that know what @KIRK means

Pillar Of The Community
1050 Posts
Posted 09/15/2017   6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampmaster to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@KIRKS, ok.

Stampmaster
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1488 Posts
Posted 09/15/2017   9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkfarm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess just keep asking. It shouldn't take you that long to learn common what I CALL internet language. Sometimes I find it hard when someone is doing there best when English is not their first language. But when I think about it I can figure it out.

Lol, IMO, IMHO, etc are pretty common. This link may help.
acronyms.php

Now some may use FT and if you didn't know it meant fan tail I agree it may be harder to figure it out.

Having kids who text you learn pretty fast.

In any event keep asking and soon you will know everything.

@ also equals at
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1488 Posts
Posted 09/15/2017   10:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkfarm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
yinz rilly want to git lost I will speak a little picksburg wit you. I bought this stamp dahn tahn. da red stamp is sucko. wah do yinz do fer a living. Go worsh yinzes hans. wah are yinz so doone.

Yeah I grew up speaking hard core Pittsburgh.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  American Philatelic Society Names New Editor
  Thoughts on these four possible Jefferson UX27s?
  Other of my grills, what can you tell me about this?
  Scott Pan Pacific #398 ~ *Amazing~JUMBO* ~ MNH
  KE VII Unitrade #90viii?
  PRC Stamps from 1949 to the late 1950's.
  Argentina 1884-85 12c - Is there a roulette imperf stamp? (May be misidentified)
  Argentina 1863 5c and 10c - Help Identifying Type?
  Antigua 1863-67 1p WM Star - Help identifying color?
  Help knowing the value of some stamps.
  Would this RW2 be graded 85 or above?
  Stanley Gibbons is back in the Auction business - see link below
  eBay Saved Searches eMail Updates
  Neato 1c Franklin Combo Pair--> 3L4 & 13L4
  Busted Up 10c Combo Pair--> 74L1 & 84L1
  Interesting Bread Loaf Cover
  Difference in CV between Scott and Stanley Gibbons
  FDC hidden in old collection! Interesting Addressee!
  Found a collection of state revenues (mainly TN, some TX/WA)
  190 Proof Alcohol Not Rare
  Need help identifying a cancel on a narcotic stamp
  So is this a 594 or 596 by chance
  First of my grills, Maybe a Z grill. Help.
  Can you help identify this red cancel?

Argentina 1884-85 12c - Is there a roulette imperf stamp? (May be misidentified)
  Stanley Gibbons is back in the Auction business - see link below
  KGV overprint N. W. Pacific Islands
  Hands On Stamps
  U.S. 606 used covers
  American Philatelic Society Names New Editor
  Wet vs Dry Printed Postage Stamps
  Thoughts on these four possible Jefferson UX27s?
  An overprint, Heavy cancel, and a unknown precancel. Oh my
  KE VII Unitrade #90viii?
  Camels on stamps?
  A part perf revenue stamp that was separated by Dracula
  How much does hipstamps charge for a sale?
  1934 National Parks Series and 1935 Farley Reprints
  FDC hidden in old collection! Interesting Addressee!
  Doves as Symbols of Peace
  Railway (Train) Stations on Stamps
  Anyone Doing the Same?
  Wiki'd Buildings on Stamps
  Show Your Newly Acquired Covers Here
  King George Hidden Date
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  The Stamps of Argentina : On Steiner Pages.
  My newly acquired Clipper covers!

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.82 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05