Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Any Speculation On 2018 Issues?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 101 / Views: 17,205Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar Of The Community
1423 Posts
Posted 09/14/2017   6:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add blcjr to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I haven't seen any speculation on 2018 issues for US stamps. Have I missed anything?

I would expect to see a stamp commemorating the May 15, 1918 beginning of the US Airmail service. I'll be very disappointed if there isn't one.

Anything else that would make sense or be likely given the year?

Basil
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4500 Posts
Posted 09/14/2017   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
100th year anniversary commemorating the end of World War l.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by redwoodrandy - 09/15/2017 12:30 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1527 Posts
Posted 09/14/2017   8:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
50 years prior, 1968 was a remarkable year, beginning with the Tet Offensive and ending with Apollo 8 orbiting the Moon, but I have no idea how to pick a suitable event within its tumultuous days; you could almost issue a stamp that just said 1968 in big letters, and people who lived through it would know what you meant.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
513 Posts
Posted 09/14/2017   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
With USPS wanting to raise rates in January. I expect to see new Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express stamps (as if those services weren't already expensive enough). Collecting plate blocks is getting REALLY expensive.

I would not be surprised to see a new semi-postal issue. The USPS has been thinking about that for three years now.

The non-machinable CA Dogface Butterfly stamp, originally scheduled for 2017 release, is now scheduled for 2018 - unless rates change or they run short on the current butterfly stamp.

Edited by uboatnut - 09/14/2017 8:12 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2011 Posts
Posted 09/14/2017   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
100th year anniversary commemorating the end of World War 1.

There should at least be a sheet with several designs commemorating WWI. If they can release 5 separate sheets of 10 stamps for WWII, they can at least do one for WWI, which was a more important event in most respects.

Some other potential anniversaries that could be honored:

100th birthday of Mickey Spillane, Howard Cosell, Betty Ford, Ann Landers, Ted Williams, Rita Hayworth

200th Anniversary of Illinois statehood and the Farmer's Almanac. 200th anniv of the birth of Frederick Douglass,
Edited by TheArtfulHinger - 09/14/2017 9:11 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1258 Posts
Posted 09/14/2017   10:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One possibility ... the outbreak of the Spanish flu
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7724 Posts
Posted 09/14/2017   10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
JLL, how about a 50 stamp sheet with all of the States' rocks?

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 09/14/2017 10:51 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1258 Posts
Posted 09/15/2017   01:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter ... I don't think state insects or official state seals have been done either. Don't know about other states, but Kansas has an official state soil, state grass, state tree. Opportunities for lots of new U.S. stamps!
... John ...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
513 Posts
Posted 09/15/2017   11:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just what we need - more junk stamps!

That's a lot of why I stopped collecting US commemoratives after they went to self-adhesives.
Edited by uboatnut - 09/15/2017 11:32 am
Pillar Of The Community
1423 Posts
Posted 09/15/2017   11:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
50 years prior, 1968 was a remarkable year, beginning with the Tet Offensive and ending with Apollo 8 orbiting the Moon, but I have no idea how to pick a suitable event within its tumultuous days; you could almost issue a stamp that just said 1968 in big letters, and people who lived through it would know what you meant.

I was 22 in 1968 and know exactly what you mean. But so much of it was, as you say, tumultuous. Not really the stuff of stamps. I would expect 2019 to be the year to celebrate a lunar event, the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing.

What others have said about WWI makes sense, though. Since our role was short-lived, don't expect multiple sheetlets like they did for WWII. But a five or ten stamp sheetlet would be plausible. I'd expect to see a stamp commemorating the role of aviation in WWI. Since my collecting focus is US airmail and aviation topical, I'd be interested in seeing that done.

Thanks to all who have contributed.

Basil
Valued Member
United States
319 Posts
Posted 09/15/2017   12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ddreisba to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am constantly amazed at what people on this forum know.

Don
Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 09/15/2017   12:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsquare0903 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I take it not a lot of folks care for the self adhesive era of stamps? The shark ones this year have been the only ones so far that I have really liked. It will the 115th anniversary of Harley Davidson, that would be a interesting topic for 2018 issues. Yes.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7724 Posts
Posted 09/15/2017   1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was being sarcastic with the idea of state rocks. I am of the opinion that we need less junk, not more. Of course, the USPS can make a lot of money and that is the main reason we see all of this wallpaper.
By the way, 100 and 150 year commemmorations I can see, but 115?

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 09/15/2017 2:16 pm
Valued Member
Ireland
262 Posts
Posted 09/15/2017   2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It will be the 50th Anniversary of Deaths of Martin Luther King and Robert Kennedy.
I don't know if USA has a policy about non=Americans on stamps but it is also the Centenary of Birth of Nelson Mandela.
Pillar Of The Community
1423 Posts
Posted 09/15/2017   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Peter ... I don't think state insects or official state seals have been done either.
I think only Alaska, the Pacific coast states, and the coastal New England states have seals.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1258 Posts
Posted 09/15/2017   5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Basil ... I was surprised to learn that all 50 states have official seals. I happened to google "state seals" and there they were! And, like Peter, I was speaking (or rather posting) "tongue in cheek" when I suggested these as topics for future U.S. stamps. A more serious "50-state" topic might be the state capitol buildings, although many of these have probably already appeared on statehood commemoratives.
... John ...
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 101 / Views: 17,205Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05