Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

NYt Op-Ed Piece On Stamp Collecting

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 63 / Views: 10,171Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2747 Posts
Posted 10/01/2017   11:33 am  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use to frequent Maryland Stamps & Coins in Bethesda, Maryland quite a lot in the 1990's. It was fairly common that on my visits that someone showed up with a kid's collection. Dave or Herman Most or even Rusty was nice in telling them that it didn't have much monetary value. Rarely, did anything walk in the door of any value.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
319 Posts
Posted 10/01/2017   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ddreisba to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Poor cat. They don't like coffee.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1884 Posts
Posted 10/01/2017   2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very biased piece. One look at the condition of that (obviously not acid-free) stock book and just about any dealer would run. The writer never mentioned how much money he put into the hobby so I'm not sure what expectations he had when selling. I also don't understand the "emotional toll" of selling any kind of collection which had no place in his life for 50 to 60 years. C'mon.

Don is completely correct in stating that multiple factors have to be analyzed together to measure the health of philately. APS membership being down means either a) they don't know how to recruit, or b) they are no longer relevant. That has nothing to do with the hobby.

Stamp show attendance is dwindling? This is as it should be- shoppers can find a few thousand choices to buy from at a bourse vs. the internet where many millions of stamps are available for sale. Likewise, show sellers are stubbornly sticking to a business model where they pay 15 to 20% of catalog for good stamps they want to sell for 75 to 90% of catalog. That business model has lived out most of it's useful working life and is gradually heading for retirement. It's called competition.

Many stamp sellers survived the collapse of pricing in 1981. They can do so again, if they view the metrics of the hobby objectively and make the adjustments. There is an old cliche that applies here- "The most dangerous words are, 'That's how we've always done things.' "

To continue along Don's line of reasoning, I'll give an example from the world of baseball. In Flushing, NY the now-demolished Shea Stadium had a capacity of around 56,000 for baseball games. It's replacement, City Field (built in Shea's parking lot!), has a capacity of less than 42,000. That's a reduction of almost 25% of seating capacity. Does anyone here think interest in the Mets or MLB as a whole is dwindling? Of course not- MLB has never been more popular. The trend towards smaller stadiums in baseball reflects an adjustment MLB has made to changing trends in the economics of baseball, land and construction costs, changing tastes of the fans who attend live games, cable tv, the internet, and various other factors that affect how fans desire to "consume" the game of baseball.

Philately may be doing the same, but I don't think any of us knows for sure. When competition increases, prices drop, however is this because of reduced consumption or increased supply?
Edited by shermae - 10/01/2017 2:57 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1998 Posts
Posted 10/01/2017   4:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am surprised they did not blame stamp collectings "problems" on the Russians or climate change.

Must *everything* touch on politics these days? I don't think the NY Times has an agenda with running this piece, there's no need to impute one.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5964 Posts
Posted 10/01/2017   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is called "humor".
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3696 Posts
Posted 10/01/2017   5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Must *everything* touch on politics these days? I don't think the NY Times has an agenda with running this piece, there's no need to impute one.

I completely agree. This thread has gone way too political. Maybe we should just move it to the "twitterverse" or blame it on being an island out in the middle of a really big ocean?

Edited by Partime - 10/01/2017 5:47 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1998 Posts
Posted 10/01/2017   6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I questioned whether to post it at all, knowing that some would choose to disparage the source rather than to discuss the merits (or lack thereof) of the article itself. I guess I'll just go watch some football if I want to get away from politics. Oh wait, can't even do that anymore...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
841 Posts
Posted 10/01/2017   6:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ditto in opposition to any whiff of divisive politically-based comments on this forum, even in jest. There's plenty of that almost anyplace else, and it doesn't take much to set it off. I look upon SCF -- and stamp collecting in general -- as a safe haven from the constant wrangle on news channels and social media.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7377 Posts
Posted 10/01/2017   6:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Given that a large % of all the stamp designs ever issued both here and around the world are political, and that most collectors are political, it's always just under the surface. People should not be surprised when it shows up at the slightest provocation, or even assumed provocation.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5964 Posts
Posted 10/01/2017   7:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Politics null and void in topics. The majority rules! Or is it the majority.........
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
841 Posts
Posted 10/01/2017   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
People should not be surprised...

I'm not surprised, but that doesn't mean it doesn't deserve a comment. For the most part, politics doesn't creep into this forum. I'd like it to stay that way.
Learn More...
9152 Posts
Posted 10/01/2017   7:46 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We try to avoid any drama, not politics. There is, unfortunately, a tendency for drama to invade virtually any thread that involves politics. When forums have drama the number of people posting falls away for a few days; I assume that some people head for cover and keep their heads low. As such I respectfully request folks weigh the possibility of drama and it's impact of forum participation before they submit political orientated posts.

There are plenty of political forums with loads of people who love to talk politics; at the end of the day our common ground is philately.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5964 Posts
Posted 10/01/2017   7:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Snowflakes are melting.
Learn More...
9152 Posts
Posted 10/01/2017   7:53 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Snowflakes are melting.

The post directly above is a good example; it only creates more drama. No more polite requests; move on.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5964 Posts
Posted 10/01/2017   8:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps it would be helpful to have guidelines as to what topics are verboten. If it was an open edit list everyone could add to it with whatever offends or bothers them.
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 63 / Views: 10,171Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05