Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

NYt Op-Ed Piece On Stamp Collecting

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 63 / Views: 10,170Next Topic
Page: of 5
Learn More...
9152 Posts
Posted 10/01/2017   9:04 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
We try to avoid any drama, not politics. There is, unfortunately, a tendency for drama to invade virtually any thread that involves politics. When forums have drama the number of people posting falls away for a few days; I assume that some people head for cover and keep their heads low. As such I respectfully request folks weigh the possibility of drama and it's impact of forum participation before they submit political orientated posts.

There are plenty of political forums with loads of people who love to talk politics; at the end of the day our common ground is philately.

Is this not clear?
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5964 Posts
Posted 10/01/2017   9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very clear Don. Very clear. I asked about a list so as not to offend with other topics that arose. Religion can be a touchy subject. Some folks are offended by Christmas. Oh well.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1884 Posts
Posted 10/01/2017   9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if the NYT would be open to allowing a rebuttal op-ed to provide additional context and perspective around the questions raised. It's a moment in time that will soon be forgotten, but why not grab the chance to reeducate a couple of readers? (Not volunteering lol)
Learn More...
9152 Posts
Posted 10/01/2017   9:33 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I asked about a list so as not to offend with other topics that arose. Religion can be a touchy subject. Some folks are offended by Christmas. Oh well

There is no list, a list is not needed. The issue is drama, not topics. Obviously some topics tend to get emotional and end up with drama. But stamps cover every topic including religion and politics; so it makes no sense to burn time writing lists when it really comes down to a subjective decision if a poster is simply creating drama. If anyone is offended the best approach is to send the Mods a private message. Then we can handle the issue, if there is one, privately.

The highest priority is consideration for the community.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5964 Posts
Posted 10/01/2017   9:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Don.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5964 Posts
Posted 10/01/2017   9:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would be more than happy to take crack at a rebuttall op-ed. I can draft it and share for forum input. Might take a few days.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1469 Posts
Posted 10/01/2017   10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So is anyone going to write in a rebuttal pointing out all the erroneous conclusions in the editorial?

Go ahead. "anyone" can be you.

I sent them the following "Letter to the Editor" just now. I doubt they would take a rebuttal. They usually do that for stories of national importance--this isn't.

Keep in mind that their guidelines suggest 150 words max for Letters to the Editor.

I don't read the NYT, so if this is printed, please let me know.

Editors:

In "Stamped Out" (Opinion, September 29) Eugene L. Meyer presents a disappointingly myopic view of the stamp collecting hobby. In fact, philately (as serious adherents call it) is dizzyingly active, involving millions worldwide—-just far differently than in Meyer's 1950s childhood.

Though the exact number can't be known, huge numbers of hobbyists are active in internet forums, online timed auction platforms like eBay, and live auctions (many of which allow concurrent online bidding). The photo of Meyer's collection shows stamps that were worth pennies in the 1950s and still are now, which is why a dealer wouldn't touch it. But the market for hundred-dollar and thousand-dollar stamps is active and, in many cases, highly competitive. International exhibiting of rare collections, carefully organized, meticulously researched and with well-written narratives, is so popular that heated controversies have broken out about its governance. Knowledgeable, professional philatelists flock to the meetings of the Collectors Clubs of New York and Chicago, and the Royal Philatelic Society in London for lectures, fellowship and competition.

The death of the hobby has been greatly exaggerated. It's not dead, it's just different.

/sig/
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
841 Posts
Posted 10/01/2017   10:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well done, cjpalermo!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2976 Posts
Posted 10/02/2017   06:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, the rules likely should add trolling as not desired which is a practice used by some.
Al
Learn More...
9152 Posts
Posted 10/02/2017   07:39 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Al,
Understood. My opinion is that the rules provide the basic guidelines for the vast majority of members, they have served the community well for a number of years. They allow Moderators room to make common sense decisions when needed.

I have been Moderator on other forums and some of these had pages of rules; my experience is that changed nothing. People still sought to press the boundaries, it is just what happens on public forums.

If folks feel like the two current Moderators (Kirk and myself) are not doing a good job they can contact Bobby and ask for a change. There is a fine line between trying to limit drama and censorship. Keep in mind that this volunteer job comes with lovely things like deaths threats. I frequent other philatelic forums and my obviously biased opinion is that this one is run pretty well.

This is not rocket science, people know full well when they post something with emotionally charged language. There are times when people post cutesy double entendre and other thinly veiled word play meant to skirt the rules.

Many members recognize this and stop posting in their threads or replying to them.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5964 Posts
Posted 10/02/2017   07:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well said CJ!
Valued Member
United States
461 Posts
Posted 10/02/2017   09:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How many folks on this board would consider signing a letter to the editor of the NYT something like this:

We are writing in response to your Op-Ed piece entitled "Stamped Out" By EUGENE L. MEYER published SEPT. 29, 2017. We respect Mr. Meyer's thoughts and views on the subject of dealing with his father's stamp collection. However, we humbly submit he has overlooked the intrinsic value that building a stamp collection and the positive impact that had on his father's life back in those days, only concentrating on his current view of the hobby.

People pursue any hobby for the pleasure that pursuit gives them doing so. All hobbies take time away from other possible activities and cost money. An old friend and mentor told me, "Russ, I do not drink or smoke; but, when I am gone, I will take with me the pleasures enjoyed sharing my stamp collecting interest with others. I will never get out of my collection what I financially put into it over the years. I will get more out of it than I would out of a pile of empty cigarette wrappers and beer cans." I still have fond memories of time spent with him sharing our mutual collecting interests. His family was left with a collection that returned some value.

We live in rapidly changing times. The role of stamps and the postal service has changed. Kids today do not know the excitement of receiving a letter from a friend or relative living out of town.

I respect Mr. Meyer's personal view about his father's stamp collection. Yes, folks today may never see a postage stamp in the same light as we did back in our youth. Yes, stamps like other collectables seen on The Antiques Road Show are in less demand and bringing lower prices. All I ask is that folks respect stamp collecting and all collecting activities for the pleasure they bring folks who enjoy them. Collecting is a pleasurable pastime not an investment.

Edited by hoosierboy - 10/02/2017 09:16 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5964 Posts
Posted 10/02/2017   09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Count me in.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
743 Posts
Posted 10/02/2017   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Something I'd like to point out - I seriously doubt the photo in the op-ed is actually a photo of the opinion writer's collection. The photo was taken by a Russian photographer and contributor to the NYT. Most likely it is part of his "stock portfolio" and served well enough to illustrate the piece. At least for non-stamp-collectors. It doesn't change the fact that mint US & plate blocks from the 50s to the 70s aren't worth much more than postage, and FDCs hardly worth anything. A simple point about supply and demand for common material should be part of a rebuttal.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1469 Posts
Posted 10/02/2017   4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Based on the gravity of topics covered in the other letters that the NYT has published in the last 7 days, either a rebuttal or a letter on this article appears to have little chance of publication. Anyone interested should send something today or tomorrow, as they usually wait only 5-6 days before picking what to publish and then moving on.
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 63 / Views: 10,170Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 2.06 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05