Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New to Third Reich stamp collecting.  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United Kingdom
10 Posts
Posted 10/11/2017   04:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add viewfromahill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
Firstly, "Hello" as this is my first post. Secondly, I hope this is in the correct section.

I say I am new to collecting stamps from this period but have been buying sporadically for about a year. I started off having studied this period in my younger years and was interested in the story and history of each stamp from the period, also the relatively low cost.

I just wondered how people start collecting from this period and where they start etc as I I just seem to buy MNH sets that I like.

Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Netherlands
236 Posts
Posted 10/11/2017   05:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello welcome to SCF.

One thing that you are immidiatly doing right is buying what you like.

If you start collecting a certain period/country in this case Germany third Reich. I believe it is important to set yourself boundaries.

Boundaries concerning the exact time periode, used or unused, domestic or abroad(just third reich or also occupied countries).

Stick to your boundaries and you will be fine.

Kind regards,

Johan.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Johan Buvelot - 10/11/2017 05:46 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
10 Posts
Posted 10/11/2017   06:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add viewfromahill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Johan.

Great advice. I also want to make sure I am getting stuff at the right places and best places to buy.
Pillar Of The Community
1470 Posts
Posted 10/11/2017   08:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jenny2U to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome!

I find that eBay Germany is great for buying German material. It's not too hard to navigate (and you can use Google translate if you get stuck). I've found that most sellers speak English and are very pleasant to deal with. Just make sure to check the listing though for payment methods. If Paypal is not listed, many times the seller will accept it anyway as long you pay the fees. Just ask the seller - I've yet had one tell me no. Here's the link to the German Reich stamp category.

https://www.ebay.de/b/Dienstmarken-.../bn_12521162

I've also had good luck with German material on Delcampe - but again check the payment methods sellers accept.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
577 Posts
Posted 10/11/2017   09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Advice No. 1 ; Accumulate as much info on forgeries as you can,
especially about overprinted stamps and covers.Otherwise money thrown into the wind.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
10 Posts
Posted 10/11/2017   09:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add viewfromahill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jenny and Perf. That is great advice and really helps me on my way. I need to dig out my collection tonight to see what I have got and what else takes my fancy. Do you know of any good online resources for the stamps and values?

Thanks again.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1700 Posts
Posted 10/11/2017   11:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
viewfromahill,

If you have any questions as you go, feel free to post them here or shoot me a note. This is my area of expertise. Also, you might check out the TR section of my website (linked below in my sig).
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Valued Member
Denmark
384 Posts
Posted 10/11/2017   11:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicalStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recommend you join the "Third Reich Study Group": https://www.trsg-usa.com
It's free. Old journals are being scanned - some are available on the website. Contain a lot of great information. Great stuff.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
10 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   06:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add viewfromahill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again all for the wonderful replies.

I am currently looking at these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ref-11539...AOSwxmJZ1jTe

DO you think they are worth the money. Going cheap I think?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
10 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   07:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add viewfromahill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postmaster, not sure how I send you a note here.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1700 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   08:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can email me at postmaster —at— the name of my website.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Valued Member
United Kingdom
10 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   08:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add viewfromahill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Will do mate.

Thanks.

Valued Member
Denmark
384 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   08:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicalStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The overprint are bogus. There are many such items made to cater for collectors of ww2 memorabilia.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
10 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   09:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add viewfromahill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postmaster I have sent you a mail mate.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
10 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   09:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add viewfromahill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will be aware of the overprints then. Cheers.
Edited by viewfromahill - 10/12/2017 09:43 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
501 Posts
Posted 10/13/2017   08:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add graphis to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One reference book that you will find lots of information and features illustrations of all the stamps and postal stationary is the "The Philately of the Third Reich" by Robert W Jones...

more info here... http://www.marpublishing.com/books/...ely-germany/

Check out the availability on Amazon...it's a bit pricey...but IMO worth every penny.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum TopicsRecently Active Forum Topics
  Did USPS cut stamps to "show off selvage"?
  Columbian Page with #230-238
  Creatively redefining the term "Major Vignette Shift."
  Do you think that this movie prop cover is real?
  Wish I had this much optimistic wishful thinking
  I found a Scott #544 on a postcard!
  1941 Sun-Yat-Sen triple error misprints from Hong Kong
  Found Stamp in old Japanese Book. Please help to identify
  1870's three cent green....mark and color ?
  1870's Fifteen cent ... secret mark?
  237: double impression, kiss print, or just really crappy printing?
  U349a? It looks OK but does anyone have any ideas?
  Identifying manila paper and color question
  Thoughts on these 2 French stamps?
  A small rant about demanding eBay buyers...
  Ebay's "See Full Item Description" - Check your listings.
  Italy - an interesting stamp collateral from 1956
  Quick question for someone familiar with Siegel Auctions
  Unusual 3 cent 1932 Washington Verticle Pair - value?
  A tax paid fragment item
  Help with Isle of Pabay Stamps
  Twentieth Century Mr. Zip help?
  early Greek Hermes stamps
  Cancelled Sheets of stamps from Poland
  This lot is guaranteed to make your jaw drop

Finding the Right Society to Join
  Columbian Page with #230-238
  Stamp Collecting, The News Of It's Death Are Greatly Exaggerated.
  France 1966 Coat of arms Saint-Lô
  Do you think that this movie prop cover is real?
  A small rant about demanding eBay buyers...
  Identifying manila paper and color question
  1941 Sun-Yat-Sen triple error misprints from Hong Kong
  1870's Fifteen cent ... secret mark?
  I found a Scott #544 on a postcard!
  Did USPS cut stamps to "show off selvage"?
  237: double impression, kiss print, or just really crappy printing?
  Unusual 3 cent 1932 Washington Verticle Pair - value?
  Cover Calendar for month and day -PICS
  Wish I had this much optimistic wishful thinking
  Metropex 2017: October 20-21 Roseville, Minnesota
  eBay Dealers - murmur...murmur...MURMUR!
  Plate Proof needed of NFLD Queen Alexandra
  Creatively redefining the term "Major Vignette Shift."
  The Stamps of Turkey : On Steiner Pages.
  Ebay's "See Full Item Description" - Check your listings.
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  Scott - Michel Conversion Charts
  Christmas Around the World 2017
  Quick question for someone familiar with Siegel Auctions

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05