Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Latvia Sc 1 Mi 1 Map stamp blocks  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Latvia
27 Posts
Posted 10/11/2017   2:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add edgarsrasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,
This might be far fetched, but just won an auction for the top-left piece, sadly lost on the top-right piece because my power decided to go out.

At first I thought they are nice pieces that I could add to my collection and didn't really study the pictures. Then noticed they are from the same sheet. After winning that one piece I looked at other sold listings from the seller and found that he had sold 2 other pieces and like a puzzle I started to piece the sheet together.
I'm making this topic in hopes that maybe collectors who browse this forum own other blocks and I can piece together a bigger picture.
Thank you!
Send note to Staff
Edited by edgarsrasa - 10/11/2017 2:30 pm

Valued Member
Latvia
27 Posts
Posted 10/11/2017   2:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add edgarsrasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found the area depicted on Google Maps.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
577 Posts
Posted 10/11/2017   2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well; you have a lot of these stamps? Nice link too these map stamps.
http://www.apsit.com/mapintro.htm
Valued Member
Latvia
27 Posts
Posted 10/11/2017   3:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add edgarsrasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes B. Apsit's website is a great place to learn more about map stamps, but I could not find the maps themselves in full there.
I have some singles with different type maps. This is my first block. I managed to identify the map it is:
U17. Puscha. [Lat. Pua]

I guess this will be good enough too to show the rest of the map, sorry if I spammed.
Edited by edgarsrasa - 10/11/2017 3:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
577 Posts
Posted 10/11/2017   4:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I downloaded a map of latvia with degrees showing the position as you did; U17 coordinates.. that was fun!
a link too the map,clearer than google maps..
https://www.mapsofworld.com/lat_lon...lat-long.jpg

Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
Posted 10/11/2017   4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Freibergs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I heard at one time that the British Museum supposedly had copies of the German military maps from WW 1. Back before computers became prevalent I had this wild idea of being able to get copies of the maps and enter the various names into a list that could be searched to give you the map number from which your single stamp was cut. I imagine with scanning and being able to generate a data base on the computer that it would be easier now. Now and then over the years I have been able to identify single stamps by a well known town name or geographical feature or a longtitude or latitude coordinate. I have a reprint of an old Mantnieka wall map of Latvia that still sees use when it comes to searches.
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
Posted 10/11/2017   5:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Freibergs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I hate to think that someone cut up a full sheet or a really large block into smaller pieces figuring they would be easier to sell.
Valued Member
Latvia
27 Posts
Posted 10/11/2017   6:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add edgarsrasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is an interesting idea about being able to write a town name or select geographical features and get the map number or atleast possible maps. I can try to create something web based since I learned basic web dev in school. It just would take some time typing in each name on the map, I dont think OCR would recognize the font very well and it would also depend on the scan quality.
I dont want to accuse the seller but at some point someone probably cut it up with the intention to sell each piece individually hoping to max out the profit.
Edited by edgarsrasa - 10/11/2017 6:02 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1977 Posts
Posted 10/11/2017   6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are fascinating stamps.

There's a very useful booklet on these stamps and the various maps that were used that was published by John Barefoot back in 1983.

At least 65 different maps were used. Full (or almost complete) maps with stamps are known using 61 different maps and blocks are known from another four maps.

Each map was used to print 228 stamps in 12 horizontal rows of 19.

Most of the maps used were inscribed in Polish with others in Latvian (even though most locations were in Latvia or Lithuania) and there are marginal inscriptions in German.

Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
577 Posts
Posted 10/11/2017   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your right it's a nice map.It would be great putting in all the maps
on this.I think this is the small format.

Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
Posted 10/11/2017   7:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Freibergs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
White we're on the topic of map stamps. Here is something from my reference library. I apologize for the quality since I sold the original copy and kept it as a scan on the computer for my own personal use not figuring on sharing. It was printed in 1977 in Latvian Collector which during that period was an English addition to Krajejs a periodical published in Canada in Latvian.

Valued Member
Latvia
27 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   12:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add edgarsrasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the same pages in better quality. http://www.latvianstamps.com/Refere...tor%2019.htm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2939 Posts
Posted 10/12/2017   10:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From my collection .

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum TopicsRecently Active Forum Topics
  Did USPS cut stamps to "show off selvage"?
  Columbian Page with #230-238
  Creatively redefining the term "Major Vignette Shift."
  Do you think that this movie prop cover is real?
  Wish I had this much optimistic wishful thinking
  I found a Scott #544 on a postcard!
  1941 Sun-Yat-Sen triple error misprints from Hong Kong
  Found Stamp in old Japanese Book. Please help to identify
  1870's three cent green....mark and color ?
  1870's Fifteen cent ... secret mark?
  237: double impression, kiss print, or just really crappy printing?
  U349a? It looks OK but does anyone have any ideas?
  Identifying manila paper and color question
  Thoughts on these 2 French stamps?
  A small rant about demanding eBay buyers...
  Ebay's "See Full Item Description" - Check your listings.
  Italy - an interesting stamp collateral from 1956
  Quick question for someone familiar with Siegel Auctions
  Unusual 3 cent 1932 Washington Verticle Pair - value?
  A tax paid fragment item
  Help with Isle of Pabay Stamps
  Twentieth Century Mr. Zip help?
  early Greek Hermes stamps
  Cancelled Sheets of stamps from Poland
  This lot is guaranteed to make your jaw drop

Finding the Right Society to Join
  Columbian Page with #230-238
  Stamp Collecting, The News Of It's Death Are Greatly Exaggerated.
  France 1966 Coat of arms Saint-L
  Do you think that this movie prop cover is real?
  A small rant about demanding eBay buyers...
  Identifying manila paper and color question
  1941 Sun-Yat-Sen triple error misprints from Hong Kong
  1870's Fifteen cent ... secret mark?
  I found a Scott #544 on a postcard!
  Did USPS cut stamps to "show off selvage"?
  237: double impression, kiss print, or just really crappy printing?
  Unusual 3 cent 1932 Washington Verticle Pair - value?
  Cover Calendar for month and day -PICS
  Wish I had this much optimistic wishful thinking
  Metropex 2017: October 20-21 Roseville, Minnesota
  eBay Dealers - murmur...murmur...MURMUR!
  Plate Proof needed of NFLD Queen Alexandra
  Creatively redefining the term "Major Vignette Shift."
  The Stamps of Turkey : On Steiner Pages.
  Ebay's "See Full Item Description" - Check your listings.
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  Scott - Michel Conversion Charts
  Christmas Around the World 2017
  Quick question for someone familiar with Siegel Auctions

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05